one day there will be 2010s nostalgia

edited 2014-03-31 02:07:16 in General
be warned

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    and it will be no more or less harmful than any other decade nostalgia
  • i guess the real danger is people who start to think bush is cute and that's a noughties-only thing
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Confession: It irks me that "oh-ohs" didn't take as the abbreviation for the 2000s
  • edited 2014-03-31 02:16:00

this is cute
    The execs at CBS may not think so :P
  • Dubya seems like a mainly nice guy.  A nice person to have as a neighbor or something.
  • The world might end you know, It's not like a guarantee that the world couldn't be hit by some type of destruction wave from the universe.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Noughties is the best name

it's the most fun
  • Dubya seems like a mainly nice guy.  A nice person to have as a neighbor or something.

Imagine hanging out with a drunk Dubya and try telling me that that doesn't sound amazing.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    "You're listening to 98.9, K-Swag FM! Thank your based god and snap a selfie, 'cause we're taking you back to the 'teens with all your favorite 'hashtag hits!'"
  • The Based God is forever. Defend Lil B at all costs.
  • "You're listening to 98.9, K-Swag FM! Thank your based god and snap a selfie, 'cause we're taking you back to the 'teens with all your favorite 'hashtag hits!'"

I laughed, I cried, I bled to death while chanting dark prayers to forgotten gods.

Imagine hanging out with a drunk Dubya and try telling me that that doesn't sound amazing.
    you know he's a former alcoholic right
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    alcoholic, president, what's the dif
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Bush defined the 2000s like Emperor Reagan defined the 80s.

Shame good presidents never seem to define a decade.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Bush does seem like he would be an OK person to just have in the neighbourhood or something, but he was a horribly incompetent leader who had an awful habit of delegating to corrupt and conniving people at once smarter and even more useless than himself.
  • Odradek said:

clinton, the 90s, sorta
    In my mind the 1990s are defined by the rise of actual good cartoons
  • edited 2014-03-31 20:19:45
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    -calica said:

Odradek said:

clinton, the 90s, sorta
    But the main thing people nowadays think of when they think Clinton is Lewinsky.
    I associate Bill Clinton with Time Warner
    I associate Bill Clinton with generally being a great president... except for DADT, NAFTA, and many of the aspects of our intervention in Kosovo. Bad ideas.
  • edited 2014-03-31 20:49:07
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Repealing Glass–Steagall wasn't a wise decision on his part, either.
  • was he responsible for most of those?
  • edited 2014-03-31 21:01:06
    (flower path)
    honestly the bad decision i'd associate most with him was welfare reform, but even then, uh, Congress.  Controlled by Republicans.
  • edited 2014-03-31 21:02:24
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ Yeah, he made some serious mistakes.

On the other hand, we had a massive budget surplus and very low unemployment, and most of the world actually liked us for a change, which is positive.

^^ It's more that he went along with a lot of dumb things pushed by other people in the belief that the end result would work out for the best. Which did not happen.
  • he's definitely no Bush though that's for sure
    Oh, yeah, Bush is probably going to be remembered as Franklin Pierce-level bad if the spin doctors don't have their way...

Who, incidentally, he is related to on his mother's side, funnily enough.
  • edited 2014-03-31 21:14:31
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    The spin doctors were fairly successful in salvaging Reagan, so they could be able to pull off salvaging Bush.

Then again, it depends on how much there is to work with. After all, they were never successful in salvaging Nixon.
    In fairness to the man, Reagan was nowhere near as lunk-headed about his (rather crappy) economic policies as Bush, and he did put the nuclear disarmament of the US on the table as a serious offer at Reykjavik. So I'll give him a smidgen of credit. Bush the Second? Hahaha, denied.

Nixon's reputation is marginally better now than it used to be: He was the first American president to have a serious rapprochement with China, and his proposal for healthcare reform was basically Obama's plan with actual teeth. He wasn't an awful administrator; he was just a paranoid, misanthropic piece of work.
  • edited 2014-03-31 21:23:15
    IIRC, Nixon was first and foremost a politician.  This coming from an old professor who actually worked for the guy.  It was, "Can I sell this policy to the American people and benefit politically from it?  Yes?  Then I'll do it."  Hence his jumping on the environmentalism issue.  See, that attitude does good things from time to time.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I associate Bill Clinton with Nafta and the defense of marriage act.

• I associate Bill Clinton with "I 'voted' for Ross Perot in like grade school or something because he had a funny name but then I remember having a warm feeling that Clinton won our home state of Florida in 1996 when my mom told me about it".  Also I hear it was a time of relative economic boom.
  • kill living beings
    nixon was a good prez