Comments

• Are you playing Fez or something?
  • kill living beings
    It looks kind of like Ziggy
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

It looks kind of like Ziggy

• edited 2014-03-30 18:20:27
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    In Judaism, the true name of God has literally hundreds upon hundreds of letters, and the only one who could speak it aloud was the high priest of the temple in Jerusalem, once a year. This full name is now lost to history, apparently, after the Roman conquest of Judea.
  • שם המפורש
  • edited 2014-03-30 18:35:13
    Hmm. I seem to have confused two distinct but directly related things: In Kabbalistic thought, there is a 216-letter name of God that is considered the complete and explicit name of the Almighty, insofar as such a thing could exist; however, the simpler four-letter version itself (yod-heh-waw-heh) could not be articulated fully by any but the high priest at the Temple Mount during his sermon on the Day of Atonement, which is part of why the vowels are now lost.

^ Yep. Shem ha-Mephorash.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    GO is GOD
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Hmm. I seem to have confused two distinct but directly related things: In Kabbalistic thought, there is a 216-letter name of God that is considered the complete and explicit name of the Almighty, insofar as such a thing could exist; however, the simpler four-letter version itself (yod-heh-waw-heh) could not be articulated fully by any but the high priest at the Temple Mount during his sermon on the Day of Atonement, which is part of why the vowels are now lost.

^ Yep. Shem ha-Mephorash.
    So it is thought, but Jesus knew, and carried it to Japan with him. The true synthesis of the two names is contained in the map structure of the classic NES game 魔鐘 known as Hell's Bells or Deadly Towers in English. However, the structure of the name is inverted. As a result, completing the game will summon a demon to the world of the living or bring about the apocalypse.

Luckily, this feat has yet to be accomplished.
  • edited 2014-03-30 18:50:38
    That is one of the more interesting conspiracy theories that I have heard. No Illuminati or aliens, just Jesus and console games.
  • kill living beings
    Odradek said:

Luckily, this feat has yet to be accomplished.

loled
    ...I was gonna post the maps of that game, but vgmaps.com doesn't even have it

So I guess you may be right
    ...wait a second!
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
  • edited 2014-03-30 22:57:58
    Oh wow.

So several hours and watching a TAS and then DC's LP of this game and some internet browsing later, I finally ran into this:

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/52

FYI that's where the pictures from the top come from.

I have no idea what they have to do with the "secret name of God".

That said:

Fun fact: I found the page with the maps by doing an image search for "death bear deadly towers".
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Oh wow.

So several hours and watching a TAS and then DC's LP of this game and some internet browsing later, I finally ran into this:

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/52

FYI that's where the pictures from the top come from.

I have no idea what they have to do with the "secret name of God".

That said:

Fun fact: I found the page with the maps by doing an image search for "death bear deadly towers".

I have of late, gotten interested in NES games and I saw the maps of Deadly Towers and thought they looked like some mad cryptogram.

That's why this thread exists.

I saw this same guy speedrun Zelda II, which is almost as impossible
  • ^ Ah, cool.

Thanks for making this thread; now I know of this game.

Which is actually an interesting concept.  It looks like an early-concept metroidvania game.  Seems like the biggest issues with this game are:
    1. the game is rather poorly balanced, at least by modern game design standards -- the early game is frustratingly difficult while the late game can be rather easy.  This is because...
    2. the game design expects trial and error.  The game is relatively easy once you know what you need to get and where to go to get it.  At least half the point of the game, it seems, is simply to figure out what you need to get and where to go to get it.

And then there's the repetitive music that starts anew after each room transition and the HP count that doesn't show up right because white on light colors.