• The City of Townsville
  • Liberty City
  • Springfield

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    • The Under
    • Markarth
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anywhere written by China Miéville or George R.R. Martin. Visit? Sure! Live? Ha.

Also, Angmar. Seriously.
    technically you can live in anywhere written by George R.R. Martin, but not for very long
  • Life in Ankh-Morpork doesn't seem all that stable, even if rarely boring.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Some of the more self-referential seasons of Power Rangers remarked that no sane people would want to live in cities that suffer weekly alien/demon/mutant animal attacks.
  • It strikes me that the fictional versions of a bunch of real-life cities are places you wouldn't want to live in.  The Tokyo of monster movies, for instance.
    fictional London wouldn't be so bad

just go on holiday every Christmas
  • edited 2014-03-30 00:51:45
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Without a doubt, The City of Honnouji would qualify.
  • edited 2014-03-30 00:52:04
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    of course, i meant fictional present day London, not the maze of narrow alleyways riddled with serial killers and smog that's fictional historical London
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    New York.

Not Spider-Man's New York City.

Not the New York of Law and Order.

Our New York City.
    Queen City

due to the repeated undermining of law enforcement officials by the reigning monarch
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Detroit (any version)
  • edited 2014-03-30 01:32:03
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Without a doubt, The City of Honnouji would qualify.

Yup.

Detroit (any version)

Particularly the "Golden City" from Ligotti's "I Have A Special Plan For This World". Just... yeah. But that's not saying that anywhere in Ligotti's work is appealing in anything but a very bleak aesthetic sense.
  • New York.

Not Spider-Man's New York City.

Not the New York of Law and Order.

Our New York City.
    Statistically NYC is pretty safe, it just has a bad reputation thanks to the 80s.

• yeah RL NYC is fine

depending on where you are of course
    Lungfishopolis

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

Queen City

due to the repeated undermining of law enforcement officials by the reigning monarch

Kinda surprised she's never faced a vote of no confidence

She seems totally unhinged at times...did you see her running around in a beat-up old taxicab with some British bloke in the back?
    Funeralopolis.

• TreTre
    edited 2014-03-30 02:08:03
    Greyson City.

There are seagulls bigger than people and the place has had at least two zombie outbreaks, not to mention the rampant supernatural happenings and the suspicions of a Ktulu-like eldritch abomination living in the Sound.

I'll be damned if it isn't somewhere in heaven though.
  • edited 2014-03-30 13:00:17
    kill living beings
    If you choose to believe me, good. Now I will tell how Octavia, the spider-web city, is made. There is a precipice between two steep mountains: the city is over the void, bound to the two crests with ropes and chains and catwalks. You walk on the little wooden ties, careful not to set your foot in the open spaces, or you cling to the hempen strands. Below there is nothing for hundreds and hundreds of feet: a few clouds glide past; farther down you can glimpse the chasm's bed.

This is the foundation of the city: a net which serve as passage and as support. All the rest, instead of rising up, is hung below: rope ladders, hammocks, houses made like sacks, clothes hangers, terraces like gondolas, skins of water, gas jets, spits, baskets on strings, dumb-waiters, showers, trapezes and rings for children's games, cable cars, chandeliers, pots with trailing plants.

Suspended over the abyss, the life of Octavia's inhabitants is less uncertain than in other cities. They know the net will last only so long.
  • edited 2014-03-30 04:16:20
    any of the GTA settings
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Trantor.
  • Steelport and Stilwater.

And Paradise City.

If you choose to believe me, good. Now I will tell how Octavia, the spider-web city, is made. There is a precipice between two steep mountains: the city is over the void, bound to the two crests with ropes and chains and catwalks. You walk on the little wooden ties, careful not to set your foot in the open spaces, or you cling to the hempen strands. Below there is nothing for hundreds and hundreds of feet: a few clouds glide past; farther down you can glimpse the chasm's bed.

This is the foundation of the city: a net which serve as passage and as support. All the rest, instead of risingu p, is hung below: rope ladders, hammocks, houses made like sacks, clothes hangers, terraces like gondolas, skins of water, gas jets, spits, baskets on strings, dumb-waiters, showers, trapezes and rings for children's games, cable cars, chandeliers, pots with trailing plants.

Suspended over the abyss, the life of Octavia's inhabitants is less uncertain than in other cities. They know the net will last only so long.

excellent
  • What would living in New Pork City be like?
  • edited 2014-03-30 15:26:45
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Invisible Cities, nice.

I'm gonna go with Malakir, city of vampires and Centie's nightmares. Using a tollbooth costs "you die" and going to court to contest a speeding ticket costs "you always die".
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    South Park
  • Silent Hill.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Chicago (Shadowrun version).
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

South Park

I'm surprised I missed that one; it seems really obvious.
  • Would you live in Law & Order!New York City?
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Provided I get to be one of the people who stumbles onto the dead body in the opening scene, sure.