16:9 displays on computers

edited 2014-03-29 18:10:02 in General
I know I'm ten years too late to complain about this, but...

I resent that computer screens nowadays are optimized for viewing movies, something I don't use my computer for, at the expense of all the things I actually do use my computer for.

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    resntatpue

I mean,

I resent the fact that computes  screens are not triangles like hey should be, or circles, but rectangular.
  • Aren't square monitors still a thing from certain manufacturers though?

I've seen tons by Lenovo and Dell at school, though they may be a bit old.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    What can you do with a computer that the monitor isn't optimized for?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

What can you do with a computer that the monitor isn't optimized for?

I dislike reading text on 16:9 displays because either the lines are really wide and hard to follow, or the text is confined so a narrow column that doesn't make efficient use of the screen.

I also feel like it doesn't give me a lot of room to use multiple windows side-by-side instead of having them all maximized...
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    before i even clicked on it

also yes
  • edited 2014-03-29 20:31:16
    (flower path)
    there are monitors that rotate

I kind of want one of those

and not just for things like ikaruga
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Ikaruga :D
  • edited 2014-03-29 20:39:55
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    16/9 is the interval that you get when you put two perfectly tuned fourths on top of each other.

It's like the product of harmonic incest!

*...*

Ew!
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Decent monitors will have an aspect ratio switch on them, at least for the analog inputs. I know the ASUS I'm using on the Macs does.
  • edited 2014-03-29 22:30:01
    (flower path)
    Miko said:

Ikaruga :D

there are other shumps and other games in general that do tate mode but ikaruga's the one i'd want to do most

but, like, if I want to read off a computer screen, it's better to have it vertical; I rarely turn my tablet horizontally, for instance.  Mostly when watching videos, actually.
  • lee4hmz said:

Decent monitors will have an aspect ratio switch on them, at least for the analog inputs. I know the ASUS I'm using on the Macs does.

well, I'm on a laptop, but I've heard that monitors with the proper hinges to physically rotate are expensive.  am I a dumb?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I love it when I play an SMBX game and tell it to go fullscreen and Mario's suddenly half as tall and twice as wide

It's great
  • IDK, I find 16:9 perfect for having two browser windows open side-by-side.

A wild Morven appeared!
  • Morven said:

IDK, I find 16:9 perfect for having two browser windows open side-by-side.

I used to do that not with browser windows but with other windows when I was on Linux and using a tiling WM, but now that I'm on Windows I'm too lazy.
  • I think I did it with a terminal window and Emacs.
  • Recent Windows (I think 7 and later) have the feature that if you drag a window to the left or right screen edges it will expand to fill exactly half.  That's kinda neat.

Two Emacs windows; you don't NEED a separate terminal.  That's what shell mode is for.
    i'm on Windows 7; doesn't work.  Maybe it was added for Windows 8?

Windows 7 does do the thing where if you bring a window up to the top of the screen it will expand to fill the whole screen, but tbh i find that more of a nuisance than anything.
    A Morven draws near! Command?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    USE MASTER BALL!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Morven said:

That probably works if you have a decent resolution, admittedly, but my machine has that same bloody 1366x768 screen they seem to have used on all low-end laptops for the past 5 years. :P
    Tachyon said:

i'm on Windows 7; doesn't work.  Maybe it was added for Windows 8?

It definitely works on 7, but it's possible to turn off.

The trick is that the mouse pointer has to hit the edge of the screen, not just the window itself. (Otherwise it'd be too easy to trigger.)
    *tries it*

Gasp!

Witchcraft!
  • CA: yeah, I'm running at 1920x1080, which leaves enough resolution for that.

Not sure there'd be much point of higher res given my shitty eyesight.

And yeah, bumped into CA on Tumblr the other day and she reminded me about this place.
  • this place is a cool place generally, you should hang out here more methinks.
  • yeah probably.

just distractions.

And work.
  • kill living beings
    128:75 netbook

i know only sorrow
  • edited 2014-03-30 03:08:32
    So, I kinda made this exact thread a while ago: http://itjustbugsme.com/forums/discussion/262/widescreen-computer-monitors/p1

Morven said:

Also, this only works if you have a large enough screen.  1600x900 will be fine.  1366x768 will not.
    Whoa, that's going way back. I thought the topic had come up before but I'd long forgotten about that particular thread.

Also, lol, that thread was early enough in IJBM2's run that it has no IP addresses.

Morven said:

Also, this only works if you have a large enough screen.  1600x900 will be fine.  1366x768 will not.
    I said that already. :P
  • Well, you said already what I said already, so I said already what you said already!

(...that has to be the weirdest revenge motive ever put into words)

(it is also not true but whatever)
  • 128:75 netbook

i know only sorrow

>netbook
    there's your problem
  • edited 2014-03-30 04:14:40
    Windows 7 Starter Edition is shit

also I'll admit I was quite surprised when I went back to check that thread I made on IJBM; I thought I complained about widescreens more recently.
    why is it shit?
  • Windows 7 Starter is the edition of Windows 7 that contains the fewest features. It is only available in a 32-bit version and does not include the Windows Aero
    theme. The desktop wallpaper and visual styles (Windows 7 Basic) are
    not user-changeable. Microsoft originally intended to restrict users of
    this edition to running three simultaneous applications but this
    limitation was dropped.[6]
    This edition is available pre-installed on computers, especially netbooks, through system integrators or computer manufacturers using OEM licenses.[1][7][8]
    ah

that does sound pretty bad
  • So basically deliberately-shit(tier) Windows.  Nice move MS.
  • It was meant for less powerful computers.

Rather than, say, installing XP on them.
  • But some of those restrictions are not about making the system more lightweight.  They are about MS wanting to kill off XP, though.

OTOH Windows is a nasty mess that's hard to make lightweight.
    Windows XP support is ending in mere weeks, so selling it on modern computers would be kinda dumb.
  • True.  Though there are still people who prefer it.

Meh, all operating systems suck.  
  • > Windows XP support is ending in mere weeks

Sweet!  I can pirate it more safely then!
  • No more security updates tho

So be careful putting it on the net.
    For some reason it's bizarre to me that so many people seem to consider XP a "modern" operating system

It was released in 2001

There are middle schoolers younger than Windows XP
  • Windows 7 Starter is the edition of Windows 7 that contains the fewest features. It is only available in a 32-bit version and does not include the Windows Aero
    theme. The desktop wallpaper and visual styles (Windows 7 Basic) are
    not user-changeable. Microsoft originally intended to restrict users of
    this edition to running three simultaneous applications but this
    limitation was dropped.[6]
    This edition is available pre-installed on computers, especially netbooks, through system integrators or computer manufacturers using OEM licenses.[1][7][8]
    I HAD THIS BULLSHIT WHEN I GOT MY LITTLE ACER LAPTOP

IT WAS FUCKING AWFUL AND I HATED IT AND IT WAS THE WORST THING.

FUCK.

FUCK.
  • That's when you slap Linux on it and don't look back.

Not like you can seriously game on these little things anyway.

For some reason it's bizarre to me that so many people seem to consider XP a "modern" operating system

It was released in 2001

There are middle schoolers younger than Windows XP

these things are relative, i guess?

it still feels modern, but i think a part of me still hasn't grasped the fact that it's not the 2000s anymore
  • Morven said:

That's when you slap Linux on it and don't look back.

Not like you can seriously game on these little things anyway.
    actually a couple games ran better on there than it does on the (comparatively beefier) Dell Inspiron I own now. Mostly emulated stuff, but still.
  • But most emulated stuff will run just as well on Linux, so that's generally fine.

• yeah but Linux is like hard, and 99% of my Steam games would stop working on it.

and I have a better computer now anyway, so the point is moot.
  • More and more games run on Linux now, though (though I now only SSH into my Linux box).  Thank you based Humble!