The Big Bang Theory depends on a laugh track

edited 2014-03-27 09:17:08 in General

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I found nothing funny in that clip.  I just don't get it.
  • Without the laugh track it just becomes a reflection of real life's tendency to involve awkward silences.

That, and the sheep who "enjoy" it wouldn't know when to laugh
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Tidus' laugh made me laugh too much. The scene it reminds me of is simply too funny, even all these years after the joke got old.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    The fake laugh here was by far the best part of this clip. 

Otherwise, yeah, it's just a sort of nerdy, awkward exchange. 
  • Jokes about the Tidus scene are one of my biggest pet peeves.
  • edited 2014-03-27 18:55:32
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I don't even watch the show, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The quality of anything I've watched from this show has ranged from "better than T.V. static" to "mildly infuriating". 
  • My dreams exceed my real life

The quality of anything I've watched from this show has ranged from "better than T.V. static" to "mildly infuriating". 
    The fake laugh is taken from an oft-mocked scene in Final Fantasy X
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    the actual best scene in the game

ok I actually like FF10's story but sshhh
  • Odradek said:

The fake laugh is taken from an oft-mocked scene in Final Fantasy X
    Oft mocked because internet people will be smug regardless of whether or not they're correct.

The scene goes like this: Yuna, the female lead, tells Tidus, the male lead, that she has been taught to pretend to be happy even when she's sad because as a summoner she has to be a symbol of hope. They then try practicing, but realize how ridiculous they sound and begin actually laughing.

Aside from the awkward editing, there's nothing to laugh at about that scene.
    AAAAAA KEX RUCT STOP TAKING EVERY VIDEO GAME YOU LIKE SO DEAD SERIOUSLY ALL OF THE TIME :O even I can mock Touhou for being silly even though it is wonderful :D
  • Can we not start our defense paragraphs with " they do it because smug"

• Miko said:

AAAAAA KEX RUCT STOP TAKING EVERY VIDEO GAME YOU LIKE SO DEAD SERIOUSLY ALL OF THE TIME :O even I can mock Touhou for being silly even though it is wonderful :D

I don't like smugness. Mocking out of affection is fine, but they aren't. 
    hmm...

dangit I can't mock Touhou in a serious way >_> it is too perfect

hmm, here is a thing. Kingdom Hearts 1 is full of hamfisted melodrama and gender cliches and barely makes any sense at all and it's a very easy game to break via stat bonus items and some design decisions in it are really stupid, but I still love it to death.
  • And that's fine. I don't have a problem with that. (Although to be fair KHI was easily the most cohesive game in the series plot-wise, except maybe 358/2 Days which only had weird incoherent parts because it came after the first one) I love how goofy and melodramatic and bizarrely complicate the series is, and acknowledge that these aspects may be off-putting. But I don't see any affection in the way people mock that particular scene from FFX, simply because
    1. The mockery always comes off as mean-spirited
    2.  The scene wasn't even really that bad. Really, in a game as filled with melodrama as FFX, it was definitely one of the more subtle parts of it.
    hmm, I think I will not continue a silly argument over a video game that I was probably about to make, because this thread will get very dumb very quickly, but umm... Tidus laughing is funny. It's hilarious. It makes me giggle like a schoolgirl every time. That is all.
  • Well yeah, it's funny. It wasn't unintentionally so; it was supposed to sound stupid.
  • edited 2014-03-27 19:58:37
    The sadness will last forever.
    This is a funny video.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Out-of-context, Tidus laughing is really weird.
  • Out-of-context, Tidus laughing is really weird.

And that's why context matters.
  • kill living beings
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
  • the tidus laugh just makes things more awkward imho