Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    the fact that Muggle Studies was even a thing weirds me out now

i can't quite explain why, either
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    before I even clicked on it

I agree though :D
  • kill living beings
    anthropology's a hell of a drug
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

the fact that Muggle Studies was even a thing weirds me out now

i can't quite explain why, either
    Well, Harry presumably lives in Muggle land for a sizable portion of the year, so furthermore Muggle Land is just sort of anywhere that's not magic land, which still seems to be the majority of the planet as far as I can tell...

A class about Muggle studies seems kind of superfluous given the characters can maybe just hit up a regular shopping center every few weeks and get an understanding of how non-magical people live.

• edited 2014-04-28 15:18:50
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Now I'm wondering how Quirrell went from teaching Muggle Studies to Defence Against The Dark Arts.
  • Now I'm wondering how Quirrell went from teaching Muggle Studies to Defence Against The Dark Arts.

seniority
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu

Also, come to think about it, studying is usually on something like the past or things that you would sort of consider yourself much smarter than, like animals or something.

It'd would be kinda of like if their was a class on modern day New York and people from other cities oooed and ahhed about the quaint, exotic lives those New Yorkers lived. Meanwhile, New Yorkers are just kinda like... what the hell?
  • The wizarding world's complete ignorance of the Muggle world, despite the fact that one could learn a lot from Muggles (i.e. frigging ballpoint pens), is one of the worst things about Harry Potter.

Not the worst thing. That's the number of spells and potions that can be used to impersonate, mindwipe or mind control. But definitely one of the worse things. 
  • basically harry potter is a broken pile of shit UwU
  • There's no way that wizard blood completely erases the entrepreneurial spirit of humanity. The Weasley Twins are proof enough of that. And yet no one has poked around the Muggle world for stuff that may be useful to wizards? Like ballpoint pens and e-mail and guns?

Heck, why are we even staying at technology? Maybe Hagrid could use some modern zoology research to help him tame his pets. 
  • edited 2014-04-28 16:00:56
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Not the worst thing. That's the number of spells and potions that can be used to impersonate, mindwipe or mind control.

But I'd love to use those things...maybe the mindwipe snd mind control more than the impersonation though

basically harry potter is a broken pile of shit UwU

yep
  • Anonus said:

Not the worst thing. That's the number of spells and potions that can be used to impersonate, mindwipe or mind control.

But I'd love to use those things
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yeah that was probably creepy of me to say

I shouldn't have
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    The wizard world is really unsettling and is quite dark and sinister underneath a glossy surface... kind of like the real world. :v
  • edited 2014-04-28 16:22:06
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    shocking twist: a world with racial genocide in its past is kinda dark
  • Moreover, that's kind of the point. There's a great deal of pretense of the wizarding world being better than the Muggle world and it's pretty clear that:

• it's not
    • that's the point
  • So yeah, stuff like them not using Muggle technology and the implication that aside from the wealthy elite that most of them are poor and self-sustaining? Those aren't flaws. They're kind of the point.

Kexruct said:

So yeah, stuff like them not using Muggle technology and the implication that aside from the wealthy elite that most of them are poor and self-sustaining? Those aren't flaws. They're kind of the point.

I think not using ball-point pens is going a little far in that direction. I get that that might distract from what is otherwise something of a high-fantasy setting, but at the same time it's still a bit weird that something so ubiquitous here is nowhere to be found there.

It'd be kind of hilarious if  after the first book Harry made it a point to bring a box full of pens each year, and they're so useful and to the other staff and students and so easy to get from his point of view that he was interdependently wealthy by say, book four...

• Kexruct said:

So yeah, stuff like them not using Muggle technology and the implication that aside from the wealthy elite that most of them are poor and self-sustaining? Those aren't flaws. They're kind of the point.

I think not using ball-point pens is going a little far in that direction. I get that that might distract from what is otherwise something of a high-fantasy setting, but at the same time it's still a bit weird that something so ubiquitous here is nowhere to be found there.
    E X A C T L Y

Everyone in the wizarding world makes a big deal about their superiority when in a lot of ways they're entirely retrograde. Lot of obvious real world parallels there.
    sometimes I wonder why they thought "Hogwarts" was a good name for a school
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This is why I'm taking lots of time to think of a good name for my magic school

Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

E X A C T L Y

Everyone in the wizarding world makes a big deal about their superiority when in a lot of ways they're entirely retrograde. Lot of obvious real world parallels there.
    I definitely got that vibe, I think the criticism here is maybe it's pushed a little too far at time. On the other hand, I can see why Rowling did this because it provides subtle commentary while helping establish the setting as more fantastical (despite it also sort of being backwards).

So, stretches the suspension of disbelief a quite a bit while aiding the story elsewhere. I guess it depends on the reader/viewer to decide if it was worth it.

For me, suspension of disbelief is pretty damn important, and I can't help but feel irked when it's challenged.

Also, I just kinda like settings like Shadowrun or other magic/cyber-punk stuff, so there's that. :P 
  • Is it really that much of a stretch? I mean, think of how many things American Indians did that were miles better than what the European colonials did, and how the latter things stayed around regardless. Its not unrealistic in the slightest.

Now, in the context of narrative, it is odd not to see such an obvious problem solved. But that's about traditional narrative form, not realism.

Kexruct said:

Is it really that much of a stretch? I mean, think of how many things American Indians did that were miles better than what the European colonials did, and how the latter things stayed around regardless. Its not unrealistic in the slightest.

Now, in the context of narrative, it is odd not to see such an obvious problem solved. But that's about traditional narrative form, not realism.
    Big difference in that example is the colonists had never seen the natives before.

Here, Harry is lifted right out of the modern world and it seems not only is that world pretty easy to get to, it's more that the "magic world" is sort of an extension of the mundane, except they simply don't have certain conveniences (some having been popular for over half a century and being very easy to come by).  So yeah, it's definitely a bit of a stretch.

Actully, at this point it's safe to say I just wish we had seven or eight Gunnerkrigg Court movies.
  • Kexruct said:

Is it really that much of a stretch? I mean, think of how many things American Indians did that were miles better than what the European colonials did, and how the latter things stayed around regardless. Its not unrealistic in the slightest.

Big difference in that example is the colonists had never seen the natives before.
    What does this change, though? How is it unrealistic to assume that a society with a huge racist contingent would actively shun things it considered inferior, even if such things were clearly better? That's something that happens quite a bit, as in my example, and I don't understand how what you said contradicts what I said.
  • kill living beings
    harry potter
  • harry potter and the chamber of above-average childrens novels
  • edited 2014-04-28 17:18:11
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

^^^I'm not trying to establish an all out contradiction. I'm explaining that the fact that this notion apparently extends to pens, which stretches the bound of common sense a little bit and sort of makes the setting have less of a subtle nuance that suggest there's something seriously wrong and more sort of a big, red alert sign that shows that wizards are kinda crazy in their fervent avoidance of Muggel tech.

It would be one thing if it where just computer and guns, and there'd be some sort of understanding that wizards don't care or need to understand these things in this world (at least from their point of view). But pens aren't nearly the complexity of either and it seems odd that students wouldn't simply maybe bring their own from time to time.

Also, cars and buses show up from time to time in the books.

So now this is just getting weirder and more asinine the more I think about it.
  • ^^^I'm not trying to establish an all out contradiction. I'm explaining that the fact that this notion apparently extends to pens, which stretches the bound of common sense a little bit and sort of makes the setting have less of a subtle nuance that suggest there's something seriously wrong and more sort of a big, red alert sign that shows that wizards are kinda crazy in their fervent avoidance of Muggel tech.

It would be one thing if it where just computer and guns, and there'd be some sort of understanding that wizards don't care or need to understand these things in this world (at least from their point of view). But pens aren't nearly the complexity of either and it seems odd that students wouldn't simply maybe bring their own from time to time.
    I don't think it's ever outright said that they don't, just that them doing so isn't important. And, yeah, not using technologies that are clearly better than yours out of a sense of racial superiority is weird and asinine. There's never any logic behind it. Racism is notoriously stupid because of that kind of thing, you know.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    imageimage
    Coul Mozart be still alive?
  • edited 2014-04-28 17:45:55
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Kexruct said:

^^^I'm not trying to establish an all out contradiction. I'm explaining that the fact that this notion apparently extends to pens, which stretches the bound of common sense a little bit and sort of makes the setting have less of a subtle nuance that suggest there's something seriously wrong and more sort of a big, red alert sign that shows that wizards are kinda crazy in their fervent avoidance of Muggel tech.

I don't think it's ever outright said that they don't, just that them doing so isn't important. And, yeah, not using technologies that are clearly better than yours out of a sense of racial superiority is weird and asinine. There's never any logic behind it. Racism is notoriously stupid because of that kind of thing, you know.
    Well, they apparently do use cars and buses, or at least such thing after they've had magic applied to them. So I'm no longer sure where the line is. 

Also the thing about racism is their usually is some sort of reasoning or rationalization behind it, flawed of course, but it's not nearly as simple as people hating others because they're different. Or rather, perhaps that's were it starts, but they'll usually find reasons beyond that to justify their feelings.

Anyhow, I'm not saying what Rowling has done here is inexcusable, more that she probably could have better explained why the wizard world lacks some of these things because "Wizards don't trust Muggel tech" seems to be spread pretty thin here and doesn't seem to work as say, being effective as a point of time, but randomly applying to some technologies while not to others.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    the wizarding world's ignorance of muggles is supposed to be humorous

yeah there's definitely a (intentional) darker undertone that we see in the attitudes of wizard elites like the Malfoys but when someone like Arthur Weasley, whose job is to study Muggles, doesn't understand rubber ducks or plumbers or the Royal Mail, that's supposed to be funny

and wizards use quills and swords and old-fashioned radios because it adds to the old-timey atmosphere

the books just aren't straight realism, major world-building decisions are made for the sake of aesthetics or humour

sometimes it's weak, like when something appears to be the case for no other reason than plot convenience, but mostly it's an aesthetic decision and i think that's fair enough, especially in a series of children's books
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    and as for cars and buses, the Knight Bus is a unique service and presumably has a special license to do what it does

the flying Ford Anglia was an illegal object, as was Sirius' motorbike; enchanting muggle devices is illegal, apparently because unscrupulous wizards like to curse ordinary muggle artefacts in order to injure muggles

Tachyon said:

sometimes it's weak, like when something appears to be the case for no other reason than plot convenience, but mostly it's an aesthetic decision and i think that's fair enough, especially in a series of children's books

This is more or less my issue with it. 

I mean, I get why it's there, it just challenges my suspension of disbelief. Which, as mentioned, is a bit of a pet peeve of mine that I know doesn't bug others quiet to the same degree.

Tachyon said:

and as for cars and buses, the Knight Bus is a unique service and presumably has a special license to do what it does

the flying Ford Anglia was an illegal object, as was Sirius' motorbike; enchanting muggle devices is illegal, apparently because unscrupulous wizards like to curse ordinary muggle artefacts in order to injure muggles

Alright, that explains those a bit better. 
  • one could theoretically rule the world with a solid technological acumen and sufficient magic skills
  • edited 2014-04-28 19:58:00
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Actully, at this point it's safe to say I just wish we had seven or eight Gunnerkrigg Court movies.
    Me too!!
  • gunnerkrigg court movies would own
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    See, the thing about Ball-point pens is that the muggles have a secret world, away from the Wizards, of which the Wizards know very little or nothing.  Muggles have these abilities and knowledge that allows them o do things that Wizards cannot comprehend.

The thing is, whenever the wizards show up, the Muggles are all like, "Quick!  Hide the flashlights, the mechanical pencils, the telephones, the microwave, the vinyl records, etc."
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I would watch all the Gunnerkrigg Court movies.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Call me a cynic, but I don't think I would like a Gunnerkrigg Court movie. Looking at folks in the movie business, anyone who'd want to make a faithful adaptation would lack the money to do it justice, while anyone with enough money would gut the story to make it more marketable. The weird story structure (a bunch of episodes that seem unrelated until they slowly coalesce into overarching plots) is much better suited to a serial format than to the current Hollywood model. And Hollywood wouldn't know what to make of the distinctly British view of what is and isn't "kid friendly"—they'd either bowdlerize it in deference to hypothetical prudes in Peoria, or they'd make it darker and edgier to appeal to the crowd that thinks PG-rated films are beneath them.

(Actually, a completely faithful adaptation might earn a PG-13 rating anyway. Whatever. The US movie ratings are stupid for a variety of reasons.)

The story is wonderful as it is. Turning it into a movie series could add a lot, but has far more potential to screw up.

As for a pie-in-the-sky perfect film adaptation, with hand-drawn animation and exactly the right voice actors in every role and a soundtrack by Kate Rusby and Orbital, sure that would be great. I'd like a million dollars and my own personal space shuttle while I'm at it.
    well then, let me go buy back ABC and demand that COLUMBIA or LIONS GATE get on this shit
    ...is that Ron Weasley from one of the old Harry Potter video games?
  • no, it's "The Hufflepuff Wizard Duelling Champion" [sic]
    oh dear god I know exactly who you are talking about and I have that game XD

no, it's "The Hufflepuff Wizard Duelling Champion" [sic]

us Hufflepuffs can never catch a break >_<