Carl Friedrich Gauss: The most evil man in history

edited 2014-03-26 21:30:23 in General
File:Carl Friedrich Gauss.jpg

Look at this motherfucker.

LOOK AT HIM

HE KNOWS WHAT HE DID

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Hence may easily be shown what magnetic force is exercised in each point of space by the earth, however the magnetic fluids may be distributed therein. Imagine the whole volume of the earth, as far as it contains free magnetism (that is to say, separated magnetic fluids), to be divided into infinitely small elements; designate generally the quantity of free magnetic fluid contained in each of these elements by \operatorname{d}\!\,\mu, in which the southern fluid is always considered as negative; call \rho the distance of \operatorname{d}\!\,\mu from a point in space, the rectangular co-ordinates of which may be xyz; lastly, let V denote the aggregate of \frac{{\operatorname{d}\!\,\mu}}{{\rho}} comprehending with reversed signs the whole of the magnetic particles of the earth: or say

THIS IS NONSENSE MOONSPEAK
  • well yeah you just cut him off mid sentence
  • No, those are Mercury runes.
  • yeah mathematicians of that era were pretty fast and loose with infinitesimals and didn't know what they were doing

mathematicians abandoned infinitesimals shortly after gauss's time i believe, for the dreaded epsilon-delta definition, and it wasn't until the 70s or so that a logical basis for working with infinitesimals was found

oh wait you're trying to make some oblique point
  • i think he's trying to point out that AHHHHH MATH or something idk
  • yeah i know what point he's trying to make, i just don't give a fuck

the actual debates over rigor in mathematics are interesting but i dunno if this thread is worth it
  • edited 2014-03-26 23:43:29

you know i just never got super into math

i got like an A to a high B-ish grade in Calc and after that my interest kinda petered out

my mom always assured me that when i got past calc everything would get SUPER MEGA ULTRA AWESOME

but it was more like "oh hey that's kinda nifty"
  • there's more interesting stuff than the shit they teach you in calculus which is more for engineers than anyone else
  • I, meanwhile, am still in Remedial Algebra, sitting at a solid C.

anyway, time to save the picture in the OP as a reaction image.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i wish i were more into math... i enjoy having puzzles to solve, but i don't have the patience to tackle anything beyond a certain difficulty level

anyway, since the OP is Myr i'm guessing the joke here is a dig at threads by non-philosophers ranting about philosophers for using philosophical jargon
    I just think it is silly and fun to declare a dead guy I know nothing about my archenemy.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Ah.  Forgive me, i've become accustomed to threads making fun of people on twitter.
    Tachyon said:

Ah.  Forgive me, i've become accustomed to threads making fun of people on twitter.

That was what made me think of the joke, but I brought it into the light of day because I thought it was funny.