Do they do this kind of thing on purpose?

edited 2014-03-25 23:13:19 in General
Samsung Galaxy S5:

Almost every other Android phone on the market:

Comments

• It took me 10 seconds to realize that you were talking about how the menu and back buttons are switched.  (It's a menu button, right?)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's actually the "Recent Apps" button.

I assume Samsung did it that way because the S3 and S4 had a menu button on the left and the back button on the right, and they wanted to keep the back button in the same place.

But it still strikes me as an odd choice when everyone else is doing it the other way.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The HTC One doesn't have a Recent Apps button (you press Home twice for that), but at least the Back button is on the left...
  • i rather dislike physical buttons

it's just another thing that can break imo
  • edited 2014-03-27 21:19:30
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

i rather dislike physical buttons

it's just another thing that can break imo
    I love the tactile and physical.

It might not be for the best your sort are the ones ruling the world; the blind might suffer for it.

I'll keep my levers, knobs, dials, switches, handles, buttons, and keys any day.
  • I too prefer tactile stuff; mainly because it's better for most video games.
  • I prefer tactile stuff since (1) I can use it without looking, (2) I can input a sequence of buttons before the screen changes to what i need it to be, and (3) if it breaks, i might actually be able to fix it or find a kludge.
  • edited 2014-03-27 23:53:45
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The "menu" and "back" buttons on the Galaxy S phones (and the "recent apps" on the S5) are touch-sensitive capacitive "buttons", which really aren't any more tactile than just having icons on a touchscreen.

For some reason the Galaxy S phones (barring some carrier-specific differences) have normal push-'em-in buttons for "home" though. Go figure.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i prefer tactile stuff

it just feels more real, somehow

and i agree with Aliroz and Kex.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Nah, the people who don't like tactile stuff will probably find something to help the blind, so there's not much of anything to worry about, I guess.