Disney is buying Epic Rap Battles of History

edited 2014-03-24 18:14:10 in General Media
http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/24/disney-maker-studios/

So yeah, Disney is about to own Epic Rap Battles of History and Blip.

Wondering how bad the flexing of Big Media's muscle would be for independent creators...

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    This is not without precedent; last year, DreamWorks Animation bought fellow MCN AwesomenessTV.
  • What do you think of it Anny? out of all eapers, your opinion would be most.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I wonder what this will mean for blip.tv, since Maker just bought them not too long ago.
    Yeah, Blip.

I didn't want Blip to fall into the hands of Big Media because I was wondering if it meant bad/unsavory things for Channel Awesome...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...Original internet content falling into the clutches of big media corporations is depressing, even if it was inevitable.
  • edited 2014-03-24 22:05:23
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Anonus said:

Yeah, Blip.

I didn't want Blip to fall into the hands of Big Media because I was wondering if it meant bad/unsavory things for Channel Awesome…
    I'm hoping they'll at least receive steadier payments now...
    Disney was probably bound to lead the front lines of that; they've been the only media giant active in acquisitions lately, and remember that Steve Jobs was a board member (and the company's largest shareholder) for the last few years of his life. And Jack Dorsey is on the board now...
    And Disney's CEO, Bob Iger, is an Apple board member. There is a definite commitment on their part to follow the changing tides.
    You know, in hindsight, the rise of slickly-made Internet content in the first place is kind of depressing to me.

I've tended to think of the Internet as a place for DIY-type content (although there's always been a place for skilled artists)...
  • edited 2014-03-25 18:03:56
    Anonus said:

You know, in hindsight, the rise of slickly-made Internet content in the first place is kind of depressing to me.

More like, IJBM: attempts to force things to "go viral".
    IJBM further: when such attempts actually succeed, justifying further attempts.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

I've tended to think of the Internet as a place for DIY-type content (although there's always been a place for skilled artists)...
    I remember being kinda disappointed when the That Guy With The Glasses first went from being a few people making funny videos to a full-on commercial media franchise...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Pewdiepie confirmed as KH3 character.
  • The plot thickens...