Hatred of elevator music

edited 2014-03-23 00:20:07 in General
Why?

Comments

• because it's bland and pointless?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    See, I don't get why blandness offends people so much...

I admit to finding certain kinds of elevator music enjoyable...
  • I don't even know what "elevator music" is.

Like I have lived two entire decades without ever hearing music piped into an elevator anywhere.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    well, other terms for it are "beautiful music", "easy listening", the genericized trademark "Muzak"...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's the generic instrumental music you hear over the PA systems in a lot of public places. I've heard it at McDonald's and the like more often than in actual elevators, but still.
  • Every McDonald's I've ever been to pipes in a radio station from somewhere else. Same goes for every fast food place I've ever been to, and every grocery store.

Burger King tends to use Sirius XM.
    Anonus said:

well, other terms for it are "beautiful music", "easy listening", the genericized trademark "Muzak"...

what like Esquivel! ? I like Esquivel!
  • edited 2014-03-23 00:36:38

Every McDonald's I've ever been to pipes in a radio station from somewhere else. Same goes for every fast food place I've ever been to, and every grocery store.

this is because everyone can agree that anything is a step up from elevator music
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    if this counts, then I am all in favor of it

listened to this stuff in the car today, classic
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

what like Esquivel! ? I like Esquivel!

Pretty sure Esquivel (and all the space age pop musicians, and the exotica musicians to boot) was too weird to really qualify as muzak.

• outer-space easy listening sounds from beyond the year 2000
  • edited 2014-03-23 02:15:14
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Elevator music may suck, but what about theme park ride music?
  • edited 2014-03-23 11:14:23
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    *drifts into a 1970s dream with Imipolex G*
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Miko said:

*drifts into a 1970s dream with Imipolex G*

ITT: We go grocery shopping in 1975
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :)
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^^ That sounds a bit similar to the Costa del Sol music from FF7.
  • -insert embed of Elevatorstuck here-
    Fun fact: That piece of music is used more times in Homestuck than any other track. ^_^
  • edited 2014-03-23 15:01:46
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    This place exists and it was, last time I was in there (August of 2010), pretty old-fashioned

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the interior
    Mega Man!! :D Also, one of the good games in the X series. ;3
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

This place exists and it was, last time I was in there (August of 2010), pretty old-fashioned

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the interior
    We should go there together sometime
    Come to think of it, bossa nova is a common source for elevator music. (Including "The Girl from Ipanema", that song that shows up in every elevator in movies or TV shows.) And I shamelessly love that stuff.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-03-23 22:59:30
    Eh, I thought X8 was pretty mediocre, if still a relief after X7.  But damn did it have some epic music.

I think my favorite real elevator music was the Venetian in Vegas, but I also have a thing for Phantom of the Opera.
    And any electronic subgenre with "ambient" in its name is pretty much elevator music for Millennials.
  • edited 2014-03-23 23:36:14

hellevator
    Bee said:

Eh, I thought X8 was pretty mediocre, if still a relief after X7.  But damn did it have some epic music.

I think my favorite real elevator music was the Venetian in Vegas, but I also have a thing for Phantom of the Opera.

Maybe the bar just wasn't very high. ^_^; Anyway, Phantom of the Opera! :D
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Every McDonald's I've ever been to pipes in a radio station from somewhere else. Same goes for every fast food place I've ever been to, and every grocery store.

this is because everyone can agree that anything is a step up from elevator music
    Well, generally speaking, yes. But at the same time, there is plenty of library music, exotica and incidental stuff that is, as Imipolex and Meta have demonstrated, quite pretty and strange. Sure, a lot of it is hella cheesy, but sometimes that's part of the charm.

Anonus said:

See, I don't get why blandness offends people so much...

I admit to finding certain kinds of elevator music enjoyable...
    Well, what sorts of elevator music do you like?

Also, "blandness" is sort of a broad term. How do you define it, precisely?
    MetaFour said:

And any electronic subgenre with "ambient" in its name is pretty much elevator music for Millennials.

As Yon Assassin has demonstrated, dark ambient is probably not good background music outside of very specific contexts...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    They could play nothing but "Jack and Diane" and "They Paved Paradise" in restaurants and no one would notice.
    "Jack and Diane" may be the most overused song on Earth, and it's just so... average. Like, there are so few distinctive features to it and yet it is immediately recognisable because of overexposure and general, mostly flavourless catchiness.
    By "They Paved Paradise" do you mean "Big Yellow Taxi"?

Anyway, I would gladly trade in [local pop radio station] to have elevator music instead. Much more tolerable.
    (As an aside, I don't think that music needs to arrive at a destination or aim for a particular goal past atmosphere to be interesting or enjoyable, but most music that aims only to be inoffensive background sound or to set a "calm" tone succeeds far too well, to the point that it ceases to have any other function, making listening to it akin to eating one of those basic ice cream cones without any ice cream in it.)
  • My dreams exceed my real life

By "They Paved Paradise" do you mean "Big Yellow Taxi"?

Anyway, I would gladly trade in [local pop radio station] to have elevator music instead. Much more tolerable.

Yes

"Jack and Diane" may be the most overused song on Earth, and it's just so... average. Like, there are so few distinctive features to it and yet it is immediately recognisable because of overexposure and general, mostly flavourless catchiness.

It's of a certain breed of rock that's so utterly de-caffeinated that it can be played anywhere and nobody will object.

I don't know why people complain about Justin Bieber or Katy Perry or Lady Gaga killing music when Billy Joel's more boring songs and fucking Jack and Diane are more of an insult to music that is intended to inspire emotion and more perniciously overplayed. The only recent pop song that feels like that level of soulless background noise is maybe Replay by Iyaz and some Jason DeRulo stuff.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    ahahahahah Iyaz

• Maybe it's just Western Oregon, but I've heard Jack and Diane like once outside of commercials selling "classics".  Ever.
    Bee said:

Maybe it's just Western Oregon, but I've heard Jack and Diane like once outside of commercials selling "classics".  Ever.

You lucky bastard.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I just have that Jessica Simpson song that sampled it in my head now.
  • listening to jack and diane now

i can't recall ever hearing it before
  • I actually quite like "Jack & Diane" (and a lot of John Mellancamp songs that I have heard in days past). Part of that may be childhood nostalgia, I used to hear it on 100.7 a lot when I was younger back when said station lived up to its claim of playing classic pop.
    It has a few good moments (that thumping breakdown), but it's just not that interesting, at least not so interesting as to warrant the overexposure that it has seen in some parts of the country.
  • I like the riff. The handclaps are pretty nice too.

I'm not saying it's terrific, but it's one of those songs that gets a bad rep due to overexposure.
    I suppose that's fair. Overexposure can make a decent song sound nauseating if intensive enough.
  • edited 2014-04-15 13:11:42
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^ ...that's the "Cavern"/"White Lines" bassline down there, isn't it? Or barely different.