"Mediocre" vs. "Okay"

edited 2014-03-22 20:01:14 in General
I want to know what this difference means to people.

Comments

• "Okay" implies functionality and the possibility of an interesting discussion, "mediocre" implies a lack of quality/general disposablity.. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Speaking for myself, OK means i don't think it's bad.

Mediocre is negative, but mildly so.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What Tachyon said.
  • In my opinion, mediocre could also imply an utter lack of quality, albeit in an inoffensive way.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "okay" means "not great, but decent enough to be enjoyable"

"mediocre" means "not terrible, but frustrating because it could be so much better"
  • mediocre implies a judgement of quality, that it is neither solidly good nor solidly bad.

okay is a judgement of functionality, that it is acceptable.  it implies a judgement of quality, that it is barely above the threshold of acceptability.
  • Okay is a signifier of acceptance, you use this word when you're trying to agree to something.

Mediocre refers to an average quality.
  • edited 2014-03-23 17:55:32
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    From MWNCD9E synonym distinction on Common:

COMMON implies usual everyday quality or frequency of occurrence <a common error> <lacked common sense> and may additionally suggest inferiority or coarseness <O hard is the bed . . . and common the blanket and cheap ---A. E. Housman>

ORDINARY stresses conformance in quality or kind with the regular order of things <an ordinary pleasant summer day> <a very ordinary sort of man>

PLAIN is likely to suggest homely simplicity <the plain people everywhere . . . wish to live in peace --- F. D. Roosevelt>

FAMILIAR stresses the fact of being generally known and easily recognized <a familiar melody>

POPULAR applies to what is accepted by or prevalent among people in general sometimes in contrast to upper classes or special groups ,<a popular tune>

VULGAR, otherwise similar to POPULAR, is likely to carry derogatory connotations (as of inferiority or coarseness) <goods designed to appeal to the vulgar taste>.

MWNCD9E's definition for Mediocre:

Me*di*o*cre: adj [ME, fr L mediocris, lit., halfway up a mountain, fr medi- + ocris stony mountain; akin to L acer sharp --- more at EDGE] (1586): of moderate or low quality: ORDINARY

1or*di*nary: n, pl -nar*ies [ME ordinarie, fr. AF & ML; MF ordenance, lit., act of arranging, fr. ML ordinarius, fr L. ordinarius, adj.] 1 a (1): a prelate exercising original jurisdiction over a specified territory or group. (2): a clergyman appointed formerly in England to attend condemned criminals b: a judge or probate in some states of the U.S. 2often cap: the parts of the Mass that do not vary from day to day. 3: the regular or customary condition or course of things --- usu. used in the phrase out of the ordinary  4 a Brit: a meal served to all comers at a fixed price b chiefly Brit: a tavern or eating house serving regular meals 5: a common heraldic charge (as the bend or chevron) of simple form.

2ordinary adj [ME ordinarie, fr L ordinarius, adj.]  1 : of a kind t be expected in the normal order of events: ROUTINE, USUAL  2 : having or constituting immediate or original jurisdiction; also : belonging to such jurisdiction. 3 a : of common quality, rank, or ability b : deficient in quality : POOR, INFERIOR syn see COMMON
    -----or*di*nari*ly adv ---- or*di*nari*ness n

MWNCD9E definition of OK or OKAY

1OK or okay adv or adj [poss. abbr. of oll korrect, facetious alter of all correct] (1839): all right.

2OK or okay n (1840): APPROVAL, ENDORESEMENT

3OK or okay vt OK'D or okayed; OK'*ing or okay*ing (1888): APPROVE, AUTHORIZE
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    MWNCD9E = Merriam-Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, Ninth Edition?
  • edited 2014-03-23 15:47:18
    (2015 self)

MWNCD9E = Merriam-Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, Ninth Edition?

That's absolutely correct.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    oll korrect, one might say
  • edited 2014-03-23 18:16:06
    (2015 self)
    Note that Merriam-Webster is not Webster; and should not be assumed to have Webster's methods.  Nor is Merriam-Webster exclusively american.