which sounds like a worse job

edited 2014-03-21 15:43:20 in General
sewage flavor tester or middle school teacher

Comments

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Sewage tester.
  • middle school teacher
  • like seriously, i want to know what train of thought leads someone to the conclusion that "yes, i would like to spend my work day surrounded by middle schoolers"
  • a unfulfilled desire to fill one's life with unruly children, perhaps
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Not unruly. Rambunctious.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    no, unruly is accurate

idk about the US system, but the pay for teaching in the UK is ok, and they get long holidays

otoh most of their time off is spent on paperwork, so it's not as good a deal as it sounds at first
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

like seriously, i want to know what train of thought leads someone to the conclusion that "yes, i would like to spend my work day surrounded by middle schoolers"

A combination of sadism, masochism, and pedophilia. :D
  • man, US pay for teachers sucks unless you go private, and even then, I'm not sure if jobs open up very often

maybe it's just because of where I live (North Carolina, otherwise known as "the public school hellpit of the USA") but literally none of my teachers are satisfied with their salaries
  • teachers have garbage-ass pay everywhere in the US i'm pretty sure
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It's because education is not important in the US. Pieces of paper saying "I've been educated" are important, but education itself is not.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-21 18:54:31
    how to make it in amurrica

go school for 12 yes
    get diploma
    go work
    die

OR

go school 12 yes
    get diploma
    go school 4 more yes
    go work
    pay off student loan for rest of life
    die

OR

go school 10-12 yes
    maybe get diploma
    go in army
    maybe die
    if not, go to college for less (but still pay w/ student loan from government)
    live out rest of life on call of army if necessary
    die
  • edited 2014-03-21 18:57:02

how to make it: live simply, work when you can, get comfy things that smell nice, be comfy, die
  • also dont have kids and live in a place with decent public transport so you can not have a car
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    when i say the pay's 'ok', i mean, it seems decent to me, but it hasn't risen to match inflation so it's not as good as it was, even here

i wouldn't want to be a teacher, though.  students hate you, parents hate you, the government hates you, the media hates you, Ofsted's a joke and the amount of paperwork is frightening

teaching college students seems like it'd be alright, and i guess primary school teaching or teaching over the Internet might not be so bad, but teaching in a secondary school... nope, definitely not for me
  • Tre said:

man, US pay for teachers sucks unless you go private, and even then, I'm not sure if jobs open up very often

maybe it's just because of where I live (North Carolina, otherwise known as "the public school hellpit of the USA") but literally none of my teachers are satisfied with their salaries

it's not as bad in the places where there are actual unions but still lol
  • insert obligatory "fuck you" directed at scott walker