Acetylcholinesterase

edited 2014-03-15 16:49:17 in General
It's high time we acknowledge the importance of that plucky little work. You know who I'm talking about. No, not Cronus from accounting, though we are still all indebted to him for that spreadsheet optimization, which is still saving us thousands a year. And not my secretary, though I know she does the BEST work, whatever her name is, ha ha.

No, I mean acetylcholinesterase. We often overlook the important role acetylcholinesterase plays in our company. But without this proteinic friend of ours, acetylcholine would build up in our post synaptic receptors. And what does that mean? Well, you all remember what happened when Jimbo from PR tried to gas - sorry, allegedly tried to gas - the building. That's right, acetylcholinesterase was prevented from working, and suddenly acetylcholine builds up like crazy! Now don't get me wrong, acetylcholine's a great guy, but without acetylcholinesterase to hold him back he got a little... ENTHUSIASTIC. So suddenly we can't control our muscles, they just stayed tight! I know sometimes a little tension is appropriate on the job, but staying strung up like that? Unable to breathe? No fun at all.

And after that unfortunate attack, and really how can we expect lil' acetylcholinesterase to deal with mil- allegedly military-grade neurotoxins - who got back on the job first? That's right. Without it, we never could have gotten off the floor, or breathed again. And in the aftermath, acetylcholinesterase wasn't mad. It knew she had a job to do, and that that job doesn't need any more negativity. So it didn't take "revenge" on acetylcholine or anything like that, no sir, just cut that neurotransmitter back down to size. And like a well-oiled machine, our company got right back to work.

The work acetylcholinesterase does is difficult, too. Have you ever tried breaking an ester bond? Lemme tell ya, I can barely get my fingers around those lil' carbon atoms, but acetylcholinesterase gets right to it, no questions asked. It is a pleasure to watch it work, folks.

That's why I'm proud to announce that acetylcholinesterase is our employee of the month. It'll be getting the attendant 10% bonus of course, bringing its salary to... let's see... zero dollars.

We salute you, acetylcholinesterase.

Oh, Frank, I know you might be disappointed, but there's always next month, and we in management have got our eyes on you. Assuming you can beat out that new friend of acetylcholinesterase, that is! S-{(9R)-1-[(2R,3S,4R,5R)-5-(6-Amino-9H-purin-9-yl)-4-hydroxy-3-(phosphonooxy)tetrahydro-2-furanyl]-3,5,9-trihydroxy-8,8-dimethyl-3,5-dioxido-10,14-dioxo-2,4,6-trioxa-11,15-diaza-3λ5,5λ5-diphosphaheptadecan-17-yl} ethanethioate is quite impressive on its own!

So here's to you, acetylcholinesterase.

Comments