Dock Soles 2: Dock Harder (Dark Souls II thread)

edited 2014-03-14 05:53:24 in General
I don't know why I didn't make this earlier.

Anyway, here it is.
Tagged:

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Is this thread about catching fish? :o Or about good boots for catching fish?
  • edited 2014-03-14 12:37:10
    My dreams exceed my real life
    I beat Old Sinner with summons.

It was situation where I knew how to beat her solo, but the problem was being perfect.
  • I have yet to solo a boss in this game.

Odradek have you run into Ornstein yet?
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I have yet to solo a boss in this game.

Yes.

He was easy.
  • edited 2014-03-14 15:23:01
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Ornstein is literally in the 2nd (1st if you're utterly insane) dungeon, so. ...Well, if you can even call a place that short a dungeon.

Anyway, so far I've beaten Last Giant, Dragonrider (AKA the most inaccurately named boss ever.), and Flexile Sentry, playing as a Sorcerer.

As a side note for any budding Hexagons: Hexes do Dark damage, which scales off of your Int or Faith, whichever is lower.

Ornstein is literally in the 2nd (1st if you're utterly insane) dungeon, so.

Anyway, so far I've beaten Last Giant, Dragonrider (AKA the most inaccurately named boss ever.), and Flexile Sentry, playing as a Sorcerer.

As a side note for any budding Hexagons: Hexes do Dark damage, which scales off of your Int or Faith, whichever is lower.

I didn't know he was there until I heard that there was a second boss in Heide's
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I actually ran into him before I did Dragonrider. It... went badly.
    I'm looking forward to the Lore videos when those start getting cranked out, because I have no idea what the hell is happening.
  • Where do you get magic that's not just variants on Soul Arrows? I'm only as far as No Man's Wharf (FUCK THAT GODDAMN HOLE IN THE GROUND) so I'm not particularly far in.

Ornstein is literally in the 2nd (1st if you're utterly insane) dungeon, so. ...Well, if you can even call a place that short a dungeon.

There's multiple possible dungeon orders. The Dragonrider was the third boss I faced and Ornstein was the fifth.

Also the Dragonrider sure likes to just pull a Ceaseless Discharge and run off his boss arena.
  • I made the mistake of taking on the Pursuer and then going to The Lost Bastille before doing the whole Heide's Tower thing. Poor decision.

Also I'm pretty sure my build is total garbage but thankfully I've been told there's at least one item that lets you respec yourself in the game.
    There's a sorcery trainer in No-Man's Wharf. Also, you can make it a little easier for yourself by putting a Lockstone in the Pharos contraption there, which turns on the lights, keeping the long-arm things away from you.

As for the respec item, go back to the Forest of Fallen Giants, up to the area with the broken houses, and then follow the path along to a cave with a boulder trap in. Talk to the guy there until you've got a key off him, then unlock the mansion in Majula.

For that matter, you should exhaust the dialogue of every NPC you meet.
  • Where's the No-Man's Wharf trainer?

Also I've been trying to find that guy in the Forest, haven't had luck.
    He's near the ghost ship. I dunno if you've summoned it yet, but you can't miss it, since that's where you fight Flexile Sentry.
  • I did.

I can't figure out how to get to it, but it's there.
    From where you rang the bell, jump down onto the roof in front of you, jump down to the roof below that, and from there you can get to the ramp leading there. The trainer is on the right hand path.
  • Productive day!

Beat Ornstein, The Flexile Sentry, and The Ruin Sentinels.
  • Has anyone figured out where you get Hexes from?

also, if there are any witch hats in the game? And if so how many, exactly?
  • edited 2014-03-15 05:14:23
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Has anyone figured out where you get Hexes from?

also, if there are any witch hats in the game? And if so how many, exactly?

There's a hex trainer on the way to Huntsman's Copse. If you haven't unlocked it yet, go talk to Licia a few times, then go back to the contraption just before the Tower of Flame and pay her 2000 souls. Note that AFAIK, you need 10 int and 10 faith to trade with the trainer.
  • I have 10 Int. covered. Fairly close to the Faith requirement but not quite there yet I don't think.
    Wait, I got it wrong. It's 8 of both. Not that it matters anyway, since I'm pretty sure you need 10 Faith to actually use any hex in the first place.
    Man, the scaling for hexes is really weird. The Archdrake staff, a Sorcery/Hex staff, scales Dark based on the higher of your Int/Faith. Dark BNS, however scales based on the lower.
  • Hexing seems to require a dedicated caster build, which is what I was going for anyway.

When's a good time to respec? I'm nearing Level 60 and am stuck on The Lost Sinner (fucking Artorias clone aahg).
    I just ended up summoning for Lost Sinner. I knew how to beat her, but the problem was being perfect.
  • I could not find anyone to summon aside from the NPC, who gets killed before you even get to the bossgate generally.

I tried on four separate occasions and while I have 8 left, I don't really want to keep burning through humanity like that.

I could not find anyone to summon aside from the NPC, who gets killed before you even get to the bossgate generally.

I tried on four separate occasions and while I have 8 left, I don't really want to keep burning through humanity like that.

By the time I summoned, I had cleaned out the arena.
  • Odradek said:

I could not find anyone to summon aside from the NPC, who gets killed before you even get to the bossgate generally.

I'm basically completely unwilling to do that entire area 15 times by myself.
  • Don't get me wrong, I see plenty of summon signs just outside the boss door, but none of them stay long enough for me to use them.

Odradek said:

I'm basically completely unwilling to do that entire area 15 times by myself.
    I would help you, but I'm overleveled I think.
  • I'm level 58.

Plus it's hard to get deliberately summoned by someone without the Engraved Ring, which I don't have.

I'm level 58.

Plus it's hard to get deliberately summoned by someone without the Engraved Ring, which I don't have.

You could try Huntsman's Copse or Gutters and come back when  you're leveled up and better equipped.
  • Gutters?

If you mean the Grave of Saints that's actually what I just did.
    Beaten Pursuer, Royal Rat Vanguard, and ODS. Almost beat the Ruin Sentinels, but I screwed up at the last second.

In other news, I am now a Ratbro (Ratsis?), aka The Best Covenant.
  • edited 2014-03-16 10:38:09
    My dreams exceed my real life

Beaten Pursuer, Royal Rat Vanguard, and ODS. Almost beat the Ruin Sentinels, but I screwed up at the last second.

In other news, I am now a Ratbro (Ratsis?), aka The Best Covenant.

Rats — we're rats —
    We're furry and forlorn;
    We live in sewers, love in sewers,
    And our hearts are torn;
    We laugh, we cry,
    We sing in harmony;
    I love her — but I love him —
    And darn it, he loves me!
    Ohhh...Rats Rats Rats Rats Rats!
  • tbh
    I've found the Brodent experience* underwhelming so far. Sure, farming
    Pharros Lockstones is rather useful, but my rats usually kill the
    invaders before I even get to them.

I understand that noob-sniping is sort of the point, but it's just
    not fun to me when there's not much of a challenge involved. I almost
    prefer being the one invading there (shout out by the way to Johnny Roc
    for the awesome fight and subsequent rematch btw, on that note).

I might join the Blood covenant or whatever it's called later on.

*The Brodent Experience is also the name of my blues rock band.

Man, I wish my rats could kill trespassers. Poor blighters always get themselves offed. Also, the most terrifying message I've seen all game: wheel, skeleton!
    Hope no one playing this game has arachnophobia.
    It's weird how easy all the Old Ones that aren't Lost Sinner are.
  • Having seen one video of DS2, I genuinely became interested in it, but I lack the current gen consoles and apparently online it'll take until april 25th? :<
  • That's when the PC version comes out yeah.

Why they didn't do a simultaneous release is unknown to me, but w/e, I don't work for From.
    Odradek said:

The Rotten is easy only if you have help (Lonehunter Schmidt is not help).
  • (Lonehunter Schmidt is not help).

That's when the PC version comes out yeah.

Why they didn't do a simultaneous release is unknown to me, but w/e, I don't work for From.

Odradek said:

The Rotten is easy only if you have help (Lonehunter Schmidt is not help).
    He's easy as pie.
  • I have never understood that expression.

Making pie from scratch is hard.
  • so has anybody been invaded yet by someone who's not an NPC?

for that matter, has anyone found any NPC invaders that aren't Explorer Rhoy or that lady with a goat skull on her head? (that dude guarding the Huntsman's Copse bridge isn't technically an invader I don't think)

so has anybody been invaded yet by someone who's not an NPC?

for that matter, has anyone found any NPC invaders that aren't Explorer Rhoy or that lady with a goat skull on her head? (that dude guarding the Huntsman's Copse bridge isn't technically an invader I don't think)

I got invaded by someone called Nameless Usurper.
  • that sounds like an NPC but it could be someone's XBL username.
  • specifically it sounds like an NPC given how Kings (Vendrick in particular though I still know basically nothing about him yet) factor into the plot.

ALSO, did anyone else have no idea that there's a new Lautrec Black Eye Orb-style sidequest?
    I found an unnamed Red Phantom in... I want to say Earthen Peak?
  • is The Prowling Mage supposed to be that easy?