More than just cartoons!

edited 2014-03-09 19:31:22 in General
Unjust cartoons and morally ambiguous cartoons as well!

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
  • edited 2014-03-09 19:44:27

entwicklungsroman 
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    These are more than just cartoons. Because the characters literally jump out of the screen and punch you in the groin.
  • kill living beings
    nostalgia attack from that vid

defremember the eunderwar bit
  • edited 2014-03-10 16:30:46
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Nostalgia from next-door house, watching nicktoons,
    I hated most of those shows (especially rugrats and Fairly Odd Parents, Hey Arnold, wild Thornberries, and as told by ginger) but stupid younger me liked Invader Zim; and Spongebob was great.  DIdn't mind Catdog.

Stupid younger me was not especially fond of Nickelodeon.
  • edited 2014-03-10 16:32:50
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Invader Zim is a show that nerds are fond of.

To be honest, looking at Nickelodeon, the downhill slide it suffers from has been going on since about 1998. It's really, REALLY bad now...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I don't think new Spongebob is that bad.

Fairly Odd Parents is an atrocity now, though.
  • edited 2014-03-10 16:41:16
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I don't know why FOP is still running, other than that Nick is creatively bankrupt. I haven't seen merchandise of it in ages, whereas at least SpongeBob is still a licensing juggernaut...
  • I was never allowed to watch Spongebob as a kid.
    Why not? Seems like Rocko they should have been worried about (though the main Nickelodeon channel stopped airing it regularly around 2000)
  • My mom was under the impression that Nickolodeon was like, cartoons for college students, and CN was for people my age at the time.
  • I was never allowed to watch Spongebob as a kid.

My parents got really adamant about my younger siblings with the show, but my older sister and I were allowed to watch it as we pleased and we ended up fine.

In a way, though, I don't blame them-- my brother was born about a year and a half before the show's downhill crash started...
  • My mom was under the impression that Nickolodeon was like, cartoons for college students, and CN was for people my age at the time.

Isn't the opposite true these days?
    Wasn't the opposite true back then too? CN's always been a little edgier than Nick (excepting that weird time in the late 2000s when they decided to be a blatant Nick imitator)
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The opposite was definitely true when I was a kid.
    (ironically, CN owes a lot of its success to ideas that Nickelodeon wasn't interested in...World Premiere Toons, Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy, Adventure Time...)
  • the only cartoons my mom watched were Sailor Moon and the Powerpuff Girls so she didn't exactly know.
  • Anonus said:

I don't know why FOP is still running, other than that Nick is creatively bankrupt. I haven't seen merchandise of it in ages, whereas at least SpongeBob is still a licensing juggernaut...

That makes two of us. 

I'm guessing it's because Butch's been in bed with Nick for so long that their relationship requires it.
  • I spent my early childhood on Nick and Disney Channel for the most part, but Cartoon Network probably did the most in shaping my taste later on (from about 2004 onward) and has definitely had the biggest influence on me both personality-wise and creatively, [adult swim] included.
  • Also, the fact that FOP is still running (and outlived Danny Phantom by a long shot) is kind of baffling

as is TUFF Puppy's entire existence, but I've actually kind of warmed up to that one because of Jerry Trainor
    Can they be arsed to be consistent with T.U.F.F. Puppy? (Probably not, it's not SpongeBob)
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-10 17:52:48
    They can't even be consistent with Spengbab, honestly

I do admit I have a guilty pleasure in Sanjay and Craig (which shares a few storyboarders with Regular Show and features the hella funny Chris Hardwick as Craig), and 2012 Turtles isn't bad, but besides those and my obvious gratitude to them for bringing Power Rangers back from the dead I've severed most of my ties to Nick
  • Well I don't have cable so I don't know anything about either network anymore.
    I haven't had pay TV in a year myself!

And from the sound of it, I'm not missing a lot...
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-13 06:40:25
    I like TBS and Cartoon Network/[as] but other than those two I've severed most of my personal ties to TV (and even then, I only watch those three on my tablet).

The fam love them some DirecTV but I'm forced to be ambivalent toward it because of "interference" issues.