DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY (Kill la Kill Thread)

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    That's gold.

The timing in that video is so good.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Sockittens!
  • as relevant a place as any to state that Trigger got contracted to adapt a light novel called Ninja Slayer Karate Pistolfist Suicide.
    Oh my.
  • edited 2014-04-08 03:13:07
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    They need to make money somehow.

Gainax did some service work on top of their original projects, too.
  • Did I imply that I was not happy that they were adapting something called, let me reiterate

Ninja Slayer Karate Pistolfist Suicide.

?

• edited 2014-04-08 03:27:35
    My bad, I got it confused with this light novel series that they're also adapting.

Ninja Slayer Karate Pistolfist Suicide.

Reading that title again, that does sound pretty awesome.

Post la Post
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    heh
  • edited 2014-05-14 03:28:28

Anime Expo is excited to welcome several guests from the animation series Kill la Kill as Guests of Honor this year! Scriptwriter Kazuki Nakashima, Character Designer and Chief Animation Director SUSHIO, Ryuko Matoi’s voice actress Ami Koshimizu, Satsuki Kiryuin’s voice actress Ryoka Yuzuki, Producer Yousuke Toba, and singer Eir Aoi are all joining the lineup for AX 2014. All the guests will be participating in panels, autograph sessions, and special events throughout the weekend of Anime Expo 2014.

Plus, for one night only, all of the guests will be part of a special Kill la Kill event on Friday, July 4th. This star-studded event will feature a variety of programming including a special talk session with all the Kill la Kill guests, an exclusive screening of the English Dub Premiere of Kill la Kill, and a special concert featuring Eir Aoi, singer of the opening theme song. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be a part of one of the biggest Kill la Kill events in history!

• WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I watched the entiiiiiiiiire thing with Byakuren. It was fantastic. Yes.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
     Drinking Game: Kill la Kill
    Kill la Kill is one of those rare shows that only comes around once in a lifetime. A show that completely redefines the definition of "insanity", a show either written by Japanese Mad Scientists (emphasis on mad) or at a comedy revue at an insane asylum. Or both!

As such, Kill la Kill is a show that, much like its predecessor, only improves the less sober you are. Let's rumba!

General

Take a shot every time something explodes
        Take a shot every time the show plays "Before My Body is Dry"
            Also take a shot if any other voiced leitmotif plays.
        Take a shot any time a character discusses the benefits of being nude or fanservice
        Take a shot any time "Stripped of the Will to Fight" appears.
        Take a shot whenever a Transformation Sequence plays. If multiple characters are transforming, take one for each character.

Ryuko

Take a shot any time she mentions avenging her father
        Take a shot any time she goes insane with rage
        Take a shot whenever she uses "Fiber Lost".
            Take an additional one if she uses her Scissor Blade's "Decapitation Mode" first.

Mako

Take a shot any time she interrupts a dramatic moment with her "Hallelujah" speech
        Take a shot any time she falls asleep
        Take a shot whenever she does something inappropriate to Ryuko

Satsuki

Take a shot any time her heel dramatically clicks against the ground
        Take a shot whenever her aura of light shines
        Take a shot every time she refers to "pigs in human clothing" or makes other Social Darwinist speeches

Elite 4

Take a shot any time Gamagoori changes size
        Take a shot any time Inumuta works a computer
        Take a shot any time Nonon snarks at someone
        Take a shot anytime Sanageyama gets worfed.

Nudist Beach

Take a shot any time Mikisugi strips
        Take a shot any time Tsumugu is horribly outclassed

Kiryuin Conglomerate

Take a shot anytime one of them displays a Slasher Smile.
        Take a shot whenever they say something in a language that isn't the default language of the dub.
        Take a shot whenever Ragyo molests someone.
        Take a shot whenever Ragyo's aura of rainbow light shines.
        Take a shot whenever Nui loses her cheerful disposition.
        Take a shot whenever Nui displays Limited Animation.

INSANITY MODE

Take a shot everytime red kanji appears
        Forget everything and just take a drink any time a character gets naked or the show presents boobs, butts, a crotch-shot, or someone half naked. You will not survive.
  • edited 2014-06-17 02:27:04
    ^ That is weird.

I am trying to figure out what this show's themes and metaphors are about, exactly, and failing. I found this, though: http://art-eater.com/2013/11/kill-la-kill-the-fashion-of-fascism/
    Oh, that post!

Yeah, I think it nails a lot of the subtler details, most of which are puns but a few of which are significant.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    So, I watched the Ryuko v. Satsuki fight on YouTube, mirrored. Sadly, no subs so I didn't get any dialog ( I don't know which name goes with which girl). I like the fight animation and dang, even knowing only that the main character of the show is a girl looking for whoever killed her father, I could tell who was the good guy and who was the bad.

Yeeh, the sheer emotion on the red-scissor-sword-girl's face. Yeah, that's what I'd be like if someone killed my father.

Poor red scissors-sword girl never stood a chance of winning. Ouch.

And as for the completely unwarranted fanservice: I thought, "oh. So this is how non-asexuals see the world. Man, that must be so debilitating.
    I'd say "we don't", but I'm not an expert on the heterosexual experience, because of no experience.

After a while them being naked just means nothing at all.
    It's a parody of old skeevy Go Nagai magical girl shows like Kekko Kamen and Cutie Honey. I don't think it's actually supposed to be sexy, but a big joke on what people think is sexy.

Kill La Kill is like that.
    It is? I mean sure, big joke on what people think is sexy, but I wouldn't have pegged it as a pastiche on either of those.
  • I like Kill la Kill plenty but I don't think the fanservice being, essentially, ironic, really excuses that it's super gratuitous. The show would've been fine without it, imo, and I also think the first couple episodes are really bogged down by the extremely hackneyed attempts at a feminist message.

dat said, it's still my favorite action anime in years

It is? I mean sure, big joke on what people think is sexy, but I wouldn't have pegged it as a pastiche on either of those.

I guess that some of the outfit designs themselves are more are riff on similarly gratuitous modern slows like Ikki Tousen - and yes, it is definitely gratuitous, funny or not - but I would say that it takes a lot from '80s action anime in general.
  • edited 2014-08-31 02:53:58
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Huh, interesting. I now see it in a different light.

Although like the male and female fanservice - framed as fanservice - is not nearly as balanced as it should be.
  • I like Kill la Kill plenty but I don't think the fanservice being, essentially, ironic, really excuses that it's super gratuitous. The show would've been fine without it, imo, and I also think the first couple episodes are really bogged down by the extremely hackneyed attempts at a feminist message.

qft
  • edited 2014-08-31 03:05:55
    Tre said:

I like Kill la Kill plenty but I don't think the fanservice being, essentially, ironic, really excuses that it's super gratuitous. The show would've been fine without it, imo, and I also think the first couple episodes are really bogged down by the extremely hackneyed attempts at a feminist message.

qft
    I've said this before, but the show didn't really click with me until the fourth episode.

After that, it was non-stop fun for me.

Huh, interesting. I now see it in a different light.

Although like the male and female fanservice - framed as fanservice - is not nearly as balanced as it should be.
    I would agree, although there are exceptions: The two Nudist Beach operatives, before the organisation is formally revealed, get a lot of framed close-ups. Now, for the teacher, that is part of his entire schtick, but for the other guy...
    Yeah but it's two sexy guys compared to four or five sexy ladies.

There should have been more scenes where guys removed their clothes sexily is what I'm saying.
    Fair enough.

By the same token, most of the cast was female, and not only that but had actual distinct personalities, goals and agency. That sort of cast is extremely rare in anime, and racy or not, I think it's a very good step forward.
    This is true, they were (arguably) good female characters. And there were a lot of them. Good job.
    Really, more of that with less controversy would be a nice trend, and not just in Japanese animation.
  • Episode 25 (the epilogue) is now out and subbed. A quick Google will do you wonders.

And, with that, Kill la Kill is officially over.

I feel

very satisfied.
  • also
    Spoiler:
    I'm pretty sure that the version of Blumenkranz they briefly played was Paperblossom's cover, but I'm not 100% certain.

That was a really good epilogue. I feel that ending it on that note is better than ending it on #24.

Of note is the off-switch, which made me giggle uncontrollably.
  • edited 2014-09-05 01:16:27
    Just something I'd like to point out:

Spoiler:
    Mako is the only one of the characters in the series truly without sin, so it makes sense that she'd free everyone else from theirs.

This show continues to be more thematically clever than you'd expect.
  • Damn. The previous episode did a good job of closing things up, but... damn.

So good.
  • I just went on a huge twitter....rant? About how much KLK meant to me personally.

I have reposted the tweets here in plaintext, below the cut, because I think it does a good job of summarizing my feelings on the show, for any interested parties. With due credit to MatoiSatsuki (see notes) for being the only person awake at the time to acknowledge my rambling, and to ryuko_tho for...."setting me off" is a bad way to put it, but that, in the first place.

Spoiler:

I don't even care. Cry with me, friends.

LOOK FOR SOMEONE AS DEEPLY CYNICAL AS I AM IT'S ACTUALLY A HUGE DEAL WHEN A WORK OF FICTION IS GENUINELY AFFECTING

IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT IN THIS CASE SAID WORK IS ALSO LINGERIE DRAGONBALL Z

IT HAD A REALLY GOOD MESSAGE OK. AND REALLY GOOD CHARACTERS OK. YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND

*trips over feels, falls down stairs*

OK FUCKING STORY TIME. If you need to temp- or perma- unfollow me b/c
    I'm gushing about anime that is your choice & I respect that

I started watching KLK when it was new--briefly--I saw the first episode and thought it was cool.

I watched the second episode a week later, wasn't super impressed, and stopped following it for a while.

Then, this one week in like, fuckin February I think

I was really depressed b/c I had like deeply screwed myself over in
    college. I ended up flunking all of my classes that semester.

I binge-watched all of KLK up to that point, half out of boredom, and
    half out of just wanting to get my mind off of more serious things

and I learned that holy shit this dumb anime about girls in skimpy
    outfits fighting each other with swords is actually really good

I *CARED* about the characters. The protagonist, the antagonists, the comedic relief. THE PROTAGONIST'S FUCKING SHIRT

and like I said for someone as emotionally granite-wall as me that's astoundingly rare. I'm not bragging either,

I don't like that I'm like that because it makes it hard to relate to people, NORMAL people get hype about things.

And here, finally, was something that *I* could get hype about.

I subbed to r/killlakill, started following the big fan tumblr, keeping tabs on the silly RP accounts people ran

and it was fucking FUN. It was GREAT to have a chance to just be a normal, dumb (not quite anymore) teenager for a change.

and I understand that KLK isn't for everybody, nor will it ever be.

but like it was super cool to be a part of a COMMUNITY for once in my life. I don't think that's ever happened for me before.

and now that's....over.

So yeah, I didn't literally cry like some people did, tho if I were in a different mood earlier today I probably could've.

But my feelings are genuine.

Hooph. It felt good to get all of that off my chest, and again, sorry of (sic) rampant gushing is offputting. I understand, really.

But I do genuinely think I'm gonna look back fondly on this brilliant, dumb show like a decade or two from now and be like

"yeah, that was one of the best pieces of media I experienced as a young adult."

idk, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

Anyway, I think I am about done with that now. I just needed to scream into the ether for a while I guess.

I think it's interesting that they literally fought one-dimensional caricatures of themselves.
  • edited 2014-09-05 09:05:51
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Waaaaait.

The title to Kill la Kill is not complete nonsense and the fact that I all but had to have it pointed out to me makes me a little sad.

Also none of my usual legal streaming sources seem to have the twenty-fifth episode up despite the official sub being out and that saddens and somewhat confuses me. If it's not up in the next few days...
  • The 25th episode is probably not going to be legally up and subbed for a very long time.

Like, until the official English sub on DVD comes out. Which is a separate set than the Japanese originals.
    ...am I really going to have to resort to fansubs? Urgh.