Media with which you have a love-hate relationship

edited 2014-02-15 03:58:20 in General Media
Well, for me:

101 Dalmatians: The Series - A pretty-much-forgotten show based on one of Disney's most iconic properties. Shoddily-animated with an art style that has promise but doesn't get executed very well, blandly - and often stupidly - written, and with high-profile, talented voice actors such as Pamela Adlon, Kath Soucie, and Tara Strong (née Charendoff), it's not well remembered for good reason. However, you probably know that I found myself fond of Cadpig (Kath Soucie), a sweet-and-sour-mannered puppy with an interest in New Age philosophy.

Unfortunately, while Soucie did work for better shows (e.g. Rugrats, Dexter's Laboratory), she's basically disappeared from the voice acting scene in the last decade. Adlon and Strong have done well for themselves, with Adlon's best-known role perhaps being Bobby Hill on the long-running King of the Hill, and you can probably name at least one of Strong's characters off the top of your head.

Comments

• I remember virtually very little about that series other than 3 dogs and they were basically the dog version of macaulay culkin from Home Alone.

Also didn't it take place on a farm?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yeah.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    some of Katy Perry's songs, kinda

in that i kinda like the music but i dislike myself for it
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    was Finnegans Wake worth reading? Sometimes I think so, sometimes not.

As mentioned elsewhere tonight, the NES Metroid has its strong points but is kind of a chore to play.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-02-15 04:41:49
    re: Katy Perry: that was me with Ke$ha before Animal came out

but then I listened to the rest and was like "whoa"

anyway, I'm iffy about Kill la Kill right now because I feel like it's the end product of the male idea of female empowerment? I don't think I'm phrasing it very well but it sort of seems like it's objectifying Ryuko and Satsuki by making their Kamui hella skimpy, even if the uniforms are their sources of superhuman strength. I don't think I hate the show for that but it just strikes me as off-putting for those who like the concept but aren't necessarily there for the fanservice. (and unrelatedly, I'm still not a fan of how Senketsu was introduced, but I'd be hard-pressed to find another solution to that, unfortunately)

again, just clarifying: I don't hate the show at all, I just feel like there's some issues with its execution that make things kind of awkward from what I've seen. I'm willing to bet that it does improve with time, though, as I've been told.
    i can't hate KLK tbh

i can understand other people being put off by the content and i wouldn't blame them for it, and i feel kinda iffy about recommending it to other people for that reason, but it's still glorious
  • Yeah it drops the moralizing angle about a half dozen episodes in and then proceeds to really take off.

There is still a fair bit of crude humor, but it doesn't try to get on its high horse and I think it's more enjoyable because of that.
  • yeah, as a big TTGL fan I'd literally have to be out of my mind to outright hate KLK

I have my issues with it, but I probably will get around to watching the rest
  • YES good

you should do it before episode 19 comes out in a few days.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    It occurs to me that I need to watch episode 18.

I will most likely watch it with dear tonight.
  • The skimpy outfits and such put me off but it was the scene where she got it in the first episode which was basically modeled after a rape scene that turned me off from watching more than one episode of the show.
    that scene... i wish i could say people were reading too much into it, but i don't think they are

it is fairly short, and doesn't happen again
  • edited 2014-02-15 19:52:01
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I feel like Kill la Kill is a sort of examination about fanservice.

On one hand, "hey look at these ladies who wear outrageously ridiculous outfits". But for most of that, there's no element of voyeurism to it, because the characters are usually in control and don't give a fuck. On the scale of say, Dead or Alive: Beach Volleyball where you're looking at ladies in a context where you shouldn't be there, and say Bayonetta where she is the exhibitionist sexual predator who uses her sex as a weapon, daring her enemies to touch her, I'd say that the Kamui are firmly in-between.

And on the other "hey look we're just going to give you scene after scene of a guy undressing sensuously for no reason whatsoever". And while I really like those scenes because they make me uncomfortable, I feel like there should be more of them. 

Still on a yet different hand "hey look this lady gets naked or near-naked but because it's drawn in a minimalist cartoony style nobody is going to give a shit", such as with Mako, at times.

Or consider "hey look we're going to do outrageous clothing damage them fabrics will just explode", but the shot never lingers over it for people to see and be aroused, and the ripping of the clothes happens in an instant.

Even, "hey look we're going to have immense amounts of bloodshed but there will be no actual wounds" because gore is fanservice too.

"hey look we're going to have a very fanservice-laden scene between two characters", regarding the scene with Satsuki and Ragyo in the bath, but the scene is disturbing and unsettling, which helps to frame their relationship.

Like I can look at most of these choices and come up with some kind of logic behind them. I can't do that for most other fanservice shows that I've seen.
  • you might wanna spoiler some of that

But yes

also the "hey look we're just going to give you scene after scene of a guy undressing sensuously for no reason whatsoever" scenes are the best.