Fast Food

edited 2014-02-09 23:29:14 in General
This is an important topic for a thread

Do you like it or not? What kinds of fast food do you like or dislike?

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Wendy's

/thread
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    It's kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, really.

As far as the type of food goes, I like burgers and boneless wings. I can't stand hot dogs. As far as chains go, I like Wendy's a lot. I also find McDonald's to be good when you want something quick and cheap, but it's certainly not the best quality. I could name a couple more, but I'm not sure if they'd fall under fast food or diner.
  • Subway is my definite favourite, even though it's not the one I go to most often.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't much like fast food.  i think it's overpriced and low-quality.

i will occasionally buy it if i'm out late and i'm hungry.  i like fish and chips, pizza, and chicken, not all as part of one meal.
  • edited 2014-02-09 23:58:28
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    There's a western faux-Mexican food chain called Del Taco which I find superior to Taco Bell...

Also, I like the chicken nuggets at McDonald's and Wendy's, whatever Burger King's doing with their tenders/strips now (their chicken nuggets are now carbon copies of Chicken McNuggets), the bread at Subway, the chicken at Chipotle...
  • edited 2014-02-10 00:04:51
    Tastes good but has a net-negative effect and contributes to an overall culture that says obfuscating the (lack of) nutrition in your food is a-okay.
  • I like pretty much all fast food to some extent. I hate what Burger King has done with their chicken nuggets and I don't like going to Chick-fil-A because their chicken is weird and soggy.

I don't think I've ever been to a Popeye's even though I live like half an hour from one, so that's probably the only place around here I can't comment on.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Aw man Popeyes

That place is great

Centie and I went to one...
  • edited 2014-02-10 00:07:34
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I've never had Popeye's either, though I'd kinda like to try it.

Speaking of fried chicken places, not an overly huge KFC fan. First, I'm not a huge fan of bone-in fried chicken. Second, I find it kinda weird and soggy. Third, the fact that their food is insanely oversaturated with fats and carbs even by fast food standards is kinda off-putting.
    i used to like KFC a lot, but i went off them more recently.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like Wendy's in part due to homerism...the chain started in my hometown, and indeed I ate at their original location several times before it closed some years ago.

Popeyes is my favorite fast food chicken, and it's also cool becuase it's one of few places AU and I have been together.

I don't know what my favorite fast food place overall is...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Wendy's is good, as is Subway. I've also been known to frequent Wawa and Sheetz (regional convenience store chains that also have delis) as well. McD's is okay, but then I always have liked their burgers. KFC...I very rarely have it, and there was a time when we were getting it frequently and I got sick of it fast because it seemed like everything they sold was saturated in Crisco. :P
    Subway is decent.
    I haven't had Popeye's in a while, but I also know they're way better than KFC.
    so they're not some place that only serves spinnach?

i've never seen a Popeye's whereas KFC is all over the place here.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

so they're not some place that only serves spinnach?

I had to think about it for a minute, nice one.

Also, since AU will point it out if I don't: it's properly "Popeyes", with no possessive
  • There's this weird like, Sheetz subculture in this part of Pennsylvania with people who make like hour long pilgrimages to the largest one in the state (which is in Easton) and eat there.

I don't get it.
    That is weird, seeing as most of the normal Sheetz stores will at least get your sandwich right.
    I"m reminded of how the nearest Hardee's to me is an hour away in Circleville

WHYYYY
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I love Popeyes. Popeyes has the best fast food, in my opinion.
  • edited 2014-02-10 02:34:57

As far as fast food Fried Chicken goes, my favorite place is Bojangles. They have good crunchy fried chicken and it's not very greasy but the best part of Bojangles is their buttermilk biscuits, which are great with sausage gravy.

As far as burger places go, my favorite places are probably Checkers and Dairy Queen (and if you count it as fast food, Five Guys). I enjoy Wendy's, but only for their Spicy Chicken sandwiches, which what I get 95% of the time there. Taco Bell is cheap faux Mexican food, but I love it for what it is and Krystal's is enjoyable when you're drunk.
  • i love taco bell

so much
    I prefer Del Taco, except Del Taco doesn't have the Lava Sauce
    I don't see people flipping their shit about Del Taco like they do In-N-Out Burger...
  • wrong thread but honestly it's kinda funnier that way.

discuss

oh hell yeah

Down here everyone makes a big stink about Bojangle's and Cook Out, and understandably so, as both are delicious.

In other news, I'm a fatass: I have a sausage McMuffin almost every weekday because my school's literally right down the street from 2 McDonald's and a Chick-fil-A. If it's been causing adverse effects on my health, I haven't noticed yet.
  • Does Cook Out actually serve anything other than milkshakes?
  • Traditional North Carolina fare. Hot dogs, burgers, pulled pork (and, somewhat strangely, quesadillas).

Pretty good stuff.
    You two should be North Carolina Buddies like Buttercup's my Ohio buddy
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    The only fast food stuff I eat are kebabs
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Oh hey Ossan.

I feel like something being limited in distribution is correlated to business practices.
  • I soooo love McDonalds. As well as KFC. Can't have it lately, though.

And back during my stay in Budapest, I enjoyed the Chinese fast food joints that were common there. Especially fried rice and crispy duck.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Oh hey Ossan. I feel like something being limited in distribution is correlated to business practices.

Ossan??

Subway is really good because you get two small sandwiches on whole wheat with lots of vegetables for $5. Taco Bell is okay because it's one of the few chains with a dollar menu where you don't have to worry about trans fat. And there's a local "better burger" place called Mike's Drive-In that does the best burger baskets. Justice, Bee, I took you guys there years ago.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I enjoy Taco Bell/McDonalds/Burger King/Carl. Jr.s 

There never seems to be an Arby's in convenient distance from me...

There's a Del Taco that I've started hitting every once in a while. I like it.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

McTaco King Jr.'s

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

As far as fast food Fried Chicken goes, my favorite place is Bojangles. They have good crunchy fried chicken and it's not very greasy but the best part of Bojangles is their buttermilk biscuits, which are great with sausage gravy.

As far as burger places go, my favorite places are probably Checkers and Dairy Queen (and if you count it as fast food, Five Guys). I enjoy Wendy's, but only for their Spicy Chicken sandwiches, which what I get 95% of the time there. Taco Bell is cheap faux Mexican food, but I love it for what it is and Krystal's is enjoyable when you're drunk.

I have the same habit when it comes to Wendy's. Spicy chicken meal, strawberry sweet tea, and if I have a little extra spending money, an Oreo frostie.

And if Five Guys counts as fast food, then the two places I like a lot that would also count are Zesto (which specializes in burgers and ice cream and as far as I know is unique to Atlanta) and Zaxby's (which specializes in chicken fingers/nuggets/boneless wings which are really chicken nuggets for grownups anyway and is scattered throughout the southeasetern US).
  • I don't eat much in the multinational fast food chains nowadays, but I do like to try out the more local restaurants every once in a while; there's a burger place over here that's pretty good.
  • I don't think Subway has whole wheat bread where I am. They only label their bread as "white bread" and "grey bread" here. Still got no answer as to what exactly the grey is, but usually it stands for multigrain.

That being said, I still go there sometimes as often it is the only option aside of McDonald's, pastry joints and hot dogs I have.
  • edited 2014-02-10 23:39:26

Australian Subway restaurants have "Italian herbs & cheese bread" and I feel truly sorry for anyone living in a country where Subway does not offer it. </firstworldsympathy>
    We have oregano loafs here in Subway Singapore.

Darcy: Yeah, Ossan. Littlemissyandere is Ossan.
  • edited 2014-02-11 00:51:41
    hey is littlemissyandere's avatar that character from trails in the sky?

anyway

anna's taqueria > chipotle > local chinese restaurant > subway > KFC > local middle-eastern restaurant > wendy's ≈ arby's ≈ taco bell > panda express > burger king ≈ mcdonald's >>>>> chik-fil-a

chik-fil-a's at the end because the owner (I think) is a jerk

i don't count pizza places as fast food so pizza hut, papa john's, bertucci's, and domino's isn't on here
    Papa Murphy's is the shit
  • We have italian herbs and cheese variety, though it is not carried in all the joints.

Anyway, other common fast food varieties here are shawarma, which I love but can't have, and boiled corn, which is delicious.
  • edited 2014-02-11 02:17:29
    Why can't you have the shawarma?

I loved getting that from the middle-eastern food truck when I was an undergraduate.

Also, italian herbs and cheese bread from Subway is great.  Though these days I usually go with whatever's the wheat option, mostly because I'm always concerned I'm not getting enough fiber in my diet, since I have to keep eating silly things like Taco Bell and McDonald's when I'm in a hurry.
  • Long story, but availability is definitely not the issue. It is literally on every corner.

Speaking of shawarma, the one we have here is delicious. The one they offer in Budapest is absolutely awful. And trust me, I've tried a lot of shawarma joints there, trying to find the one where it would be edible.
    Yes, Glenn. That is Trails In The Sky.