Least I could shrug

edited 2014-01-18 21:30:13 in General

Comments

• why does John Galt look like Jake Long's douchey college-age brother.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    good lord
  • How much of this is worth reading?
  • My dreams exceed my real life

why does John Galt look like Jake Long's douchey college-age brother.

Unedited

How much of this is worth reading?

Nunavit
  • Who is this, and why is he bad.
    webcomics
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Kexruct said:

Who is this, and why is he bad.

Least I Could Do is the platonic ideal of douchebro-ism (I think; I only visited it once, and I quickly left, burning down that browser tab behind me). And in the comic posted at the top, the author avatar (I think) is quoting John Galt's entire (I think) speech from Atlas Shrugged, the platonic ideal of author filibusters. It's the sort of thing that someone would joke about, as a parody of Walls Of Text in bad comics, not the sort of thing you'd expect someone to actually do.
  • so it's just this dude, who is a ripoff of a probably much better character (I have never seen American Dragon Jake Long) talking about....stuff? For panels on end?
  • john galt's too long for a ted talk
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Uh...

Wow...

I've only caught random strips of this here and there, but they gave the impression that the comic was generally more entertaining than...any of that.
  • Uh...

Wow...

I've only caught random strips of this here and there, but they gave the impression that the comic was generally more entertaining than...any of that.
    It's actually technically a soapbox disguised as a comic wrapped up with christmas bows for you to look at so they can pretend it's not a soapbox but a christmas gift.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Setting aside the parody at the top of the page, I have heard that Least I Could Do has gotten progressively worse over the years in its feeble attempts to be "mature."
  • in terms of the art it reminds me of Ctrl Alt Del a lot
    That is the usual comparison.

Incidentally, what little I've read of Looking for Group (written by the same guy in collaboration with some other dude) is actually decent, if not really my thing.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i read some of LFG; my friend at school was a fan

In terms of the writing, i consider it inferior to The Order of the Stick, which has a similar premise and similar sense of humour.

The art is decent, though.
  • Tachyon said:

i read some of LFG; my friend at school was a fan

In terms of the writing, i consider it inferior to The Order of the Stick, which has a similar premise and similar sense of humour.

The art is decent, though.

As if the quality of the art really makes up for other lacking qualities.

OotS proves through story alone that you don't need fancy 1080p to make a compelling product, and I even though it is a fair judgment, I dislike you bringing it up in the same vein as LFG.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    LFG is alright... 

Kinda lingering on for longer than it should, pacing wise. If it  addressed a few unanswered questions earlier on, there where two places the comic could have concluded.
  • edited 2014-01-19 00:45:11
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't much like either comic, sorry Clock

OotS is far, far better out of the two, but the premise is similar and both employ dark humour frequently

i don't mean to suggest that the two are on anything close to the same footing
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    also LFG did a violent 'parody' of 'Part of Your World', which is unforgivable in itself
  • That's the one with the cool-looking lich as the token evil teammate, right?

A short dive through the archives shows that, at least at the beginning, the humor's a somewhat blunter version of 8-Bit Theatre. And more misogyny.
    The fact that a pretty mediocre work by this author can far outstrip his best-known work in quality says something. A very not-good kind of something.
    comic page
    comic page
    comic page
    comic page
    comic page
    comic page
  • people are ultimately products of their experiences by and large
  • though i do not think they are wholly so, as some have suggested
  • though i do not think they are wholly so, as some have suggested

They're also influenced by the limits of their genetic code don't forget.
  • edited 2014-01-19 19:49:14
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ I agree with that.

Still, I always got the feeling that Rand's childhood experiences in Russia were the major impetus behind most of her beliefs and attitudes.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    What would a person whose personality and worldview were completely divorced from their past experience even look like?
    an amnesiac