The Day We Fight Back: February 11, 2014

Comments

• i like the meme, will defs be sharing it on facebook.
  • i have signed a bunch of online petitions and stuff

yay me
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    But you still laugh when I say Green Party. :|
  • Miko said:

But you still laugh when I say Green Party. :|

I uh

I don't think he was laughing about the Green Party thing.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    So today's the day.

Are you going to call your Congresspeople or anything?
  • edited 2014-02-11 16:50:00
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Why is it so bad that the NSA does surveillance?

-is ignorant about current issues-
  • edited 2014-02-11 17:02:22
    Wow, even Fox News is on board with this.

^ The US could use that power to spy on its own citizens for a lot of nefarious purposes, and since the NSA is only accountable to a court that approves everything the NSA does, no one can stop them. Just the threat of being spied on is enough to create a "chilling effect" on free speech, which is a bad thing for a democracy.

Also, people like their privacy.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's only one step away from Big Brother hauling you off to be reprogrammed
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, but, I mean, come on.

They aren't going to be able to spy on everyone's internet use, all the time.  That's far too much information; you'd need loads and loads of workers doing nothing but watching; and about 99.998% of it would be non-useful.  Sure, they'd get sensitive information, but it'd be buried in a huge ocean of information.  Finding a needle in a stack of needles the size of a house.

Even if they can collect all that information, its not as though they have the manpower to read it all.  The amount of stuff you'd gain from that compared to the amount of manpower needed would be simply inefficient.
  • edited 2014-02-11 18:48:55

they just store it in a database they can search through via computer, and they don't need to actively spy they can passively collect it, no effort needed beyond setting it up.

and this isn't a hypothetical it's something they're actually doing
  • edited 2014-02-11 18:59:18
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Meh.

It was you internet types who were saying things like "Information wants to be free", and supporting wikileaks, And it was you guys who were like “If there is incriminating or embarrassing information about a government; it should be made available.  Governmentsshould be made accountable to the people.”. 

And supporting stuff like free information; transparency, and such.  And saying stuff like “I have a right to information,I have a right to know and be informed”

.But now, when the government wants access to incriminating or embarrassing information about you; you’re like “Wait!  Privacy is an inalienable and inherent right!  I don’t want you having this information, and my wishes should be respected.”  And where’s the “citizens should be made accountable to the government” talk, eh?  What about that right to information; the right to know and be informed?

I thought information wanted to be free.
  • edited 2014-02-11 19:06:11

Frankly, I don't give enough of a fuck what NSA agents think about me to be especially enthusiastic about this whole thing. Those people have got much bigger fish to fry, anyway.
  • edited 2014-02-11 19:55:30
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Okay first up. You don't need loads and loads of workers to collect the stuff; computers can do that automatically.

Second, we live in the age of Google; finding needles in haystacks has never been easier.

Thirdly, who's the dumbfuck that said "information wants to be free?" That's dumb. What you folks want (if you are considering that there are two sides, the government and the common people) is for information that favors the common people to be free, and the information that doesn't favor yourselves to be restricted.

Lastly, don't ever underestimate the tenuous connections that people can draw to make you look bad. After all, literary analyst students and political smears do it all the time. This sort of thing is a perfect weapon for selective enforcement.

You'd want the NSA to always be trying to fry the big fish. You don't want your government to decide that quantity is more important than quality. You don't want your government to decide that they have a taste for the small fish.

Because the small fish is you. The small fish is always you.
  • edited 2014-02-11 19:58:07
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ The government is subservient to the people in a democratic society. What they do on our behalf is our business; what we do on our own time is not their right to know. Unless a private citizen has broken the law, they have no real right to look at their private correspondence or activity. Even if such information collection is entirely passive and only becomes relevant in criminal cases, the foundation is there that any future government may spy on anyone at anytime if they so choose. They may target those that disagree with them and quash them, for example. A society then ceases to be free.

You are wildly misunderstanding how collective rights work, perhaps intentionally, perhaps simply to start an argument. You are smarter than that, so please, stop that.

^ Absolutely.
  • edited 2014-02-11 20:03:58
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Oh, I forgot to mention.

You know the saying "if you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide"? 

That's dumb. Everybody has something to hide. Some of it is crime. Some of it is dissident political and ideological views. And some of those things are just personal affairs that nobody has the right to know.

And if you don't have anything to hide, trust me; you will, one day.
  • This has all of my mental support, but I have no outgoing phone so I can't exactly do much.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't even live in your country.

But I hope you will get it done so you folks will collectively stop being a shitty neighbor.

And if you don't do it, it will lead to your decline and demise, allowing us - Asia - to take the reins of the world.

So we win either way.
  • edited 2014-02-11 20:17:31
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Aren't the old British sodomy laws still in effect in your country?

You should fix that. Even if they aren't enforced, that's still really stupid.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't think they're still in effect, but there are things going on.

And I am trying.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Cool. I wish you all the luck in the world.
  • edit: whatever, I don't feel like starting a fight.
  • I don't even live in your country.

But I hope you will get it done so you folks will collectively stop being a shitty neighbor.

And if you don't do it, it will lead to your decline and demise, allowing us - Asia - to take the reins of the world.

So we win either way.
    This is probably splitting hairs, but while NSA overreach is a huge problem, I don't know if it's really the kind of thing that would destroy the US as an international power. (Not that there aren't problems that might lead to that, but I think those are more austerity-related--cutbacks in education, research, infrastructure, etc.)
    Queen: I don't know how to do that, because these are my honest desires. I want a better world, and yet I want to rule it. I may have megalomaniacal tendencies.

Haven: You folks have been going down the road of decline for a long while. Openly spying on everybody? I think that will bring out a great deal of discontent.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    every forum needs its megalomaniac
  • Queen: I don't know how to do that, because these are my honest desires. I want a better world, and yet I want to rule it. I may have megalomaniacal tendencies.

So do like three or four people here.

Really, I have no problem with you wanting to rule the world, but it does seem like every post you make contains instances of the phrase "you [folks/people/etc.]" and it's really rather irritating, nobody here is personally responsible for the infrastructure of the United States government or the governments of any of the other western nations represented in our userbase.
    Well would you prefer "your countrymen" or something?
    "The government of the US" would be more accurate. The problem is that while the government should be the organ of the people, it rarely is...
  • And if you don't have anything to hide, trust me; you will, one day.
    Huh. I had the same exact thought an hour ago.
  • No because then it just sounds like your insulting like, my brother or something.

I'm gonna assume this is a dialect thing.

The phrase "you people" has negative connotations in the US (at least the part that I live in anyway) that I'm finding it hard to put into words (it can also be sorta racist but that's not really what I'm thinking about here).

Generally when one wants to refer to the US government one just says "The US government".

I don't know, maybe I'm just being irritable.
  • Haven: You folks have been going down the road of decline for a long while. Openly spying on everybody? I think that will bring out a great deal of discontent.
    Well, either way, the reason to oppose it isn't so we can keep being a world power or whatever, but because it's wrong.
    Lots of reasons to do things.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Ah, so the NSA actually CAN do effective surveillance and sift through this information (why didn't I think of search engines and control-f?).

Crap, that changes everything. D: In that case, there is effective surveillance and monitoring. Since they have a practical way to seek out people and find incriminating data, there's nothing stopping them from finding and monitoring people with dissident ideologies. I was certain the practical difficulties of information sifting would prevent effective monitoring (so I thought that there wouldn't be anything to worry about on that front). But with effective sifting, the problem becomes much more dire. I apologize for having so much faith in the "stack of needles" method of hiding.

So yeah, nothing really stopping the NSA from finding and monitoring dissidents.

And then, since dissidents would actually be more closely watched and scrutinized, those same dissidents would experience a stricter level of enforcement of rules. So, the enforcement of the rules is different depending on what the NSA decides is dissent. They could punish you for speaking out against them. They might not arrest you for speaking out against them, but they could heighten the monitoring and scrutinizing on you. It would make you more likely to get arrested, and it would certainly let them selectively make life very hard for anyone who opposes the NSA.

Oh, i guess when you guys put it that way, it sounds less like "information should be feee" and more like, "I have the right to freely express myself". This situation of a governmental agency being able to effectively monitor dissidents is actually not at all what the "free information" people wanted; if the aim was free speech instead of co plate information access to everyone. I misjudged the philosophy, and the aim of that philosophy. This isn't, then, a double standard, because this situation isn't what basically anyone arguing for free speech wanted.

And heck, if the NSA only answers to a court, and if that court is, as criminalscum says, not at all an actual restraining force, and won't actually make the NSA accountable, then that screws up the whole checks and balances thing. And checks and balances are the main thing restraining full-out abuses of power.

The NSA, in that case, wouldn't just have to rely on selective enforcement of the laws to punish dissidents. The court, in that case, wouldn't stop the NSA from just up and arresting dissidents on flimsy charges, or even maybe no charges.

Power without checks and accountability, possessed by an agency with effective ways of monitoring dissidents and getting after said dissidents...

I'm sorry I was so dismissive in this thread. My understanding of the situation was wrong, I mistakenly judged those advocating free speech, and I dismissed real threats based on outdated ideas.
    Thank you, Al.