Comments

• i have not listened to this album but i highly doubt that their take on brostep is a step down from being the hands-down worst group in the 90's breakbeat/"Big Beat" scene
  • edited 2014-01-17 03:08:02
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I know that The Crystal Method make electronic music and that they are reasonably well-known, and that one of their tracks is used as the theme song to Bones.

That's it.

^ That helps, actually.
  • i have needed a separate thread here to contain my scorn

perhaps because it is 2 in the morning
  • im scrolling down 2 tha comments

I'm wondering if a mention of compression really belongs in this review. I know what it is, and some others will understand it, but it may be wisest to use a more basic description for the non-electronic junkies.

• edited 2014-01-17 03:13:09
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I was deeply puzzled by that statement. Really, I thought that most people knew what compression was...?
    (I mean most casual music fans.)
  • this rock music review makes reference to guitars, im afraid some of those non rock music junkies will not know what you are talking about
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It's not quite that bad, but it's about on par with not expecting people to know what delay or distortion are.
  • shit

i remember one time some dude who knew his shit came in and reviewed a good dubstep single on Sputnikmusic this one time

why are so many dubstep artists too lazy to make album covers?

• it sounds chill 3.5
  • sputnikmusic is one of the most unintentionally hilarious sites on the interbutts

why are so many dubstep artists too lazy to make album covers?

Oh sweet lawdy...

That is so terribly unfortunate.
  • and there was that one time where this monstercat brostep album got a "great" because the dude occasionally used 6/8 time and the odd complex harmony or two

it was literally the same person who wrote this The Crystal Method review ohmygoooooooddddd
  • i will say that the one staff reviewer who goes by Deviant. does seem to know his shit
  • how do you think I feel when I see yet another website give Nothing Was The Same a 10/10.
  • you feel like you've started from the bottom and now you're here?
  • I will put you in a box and ship you to Azerbaijan
  • you know today i learned that Chuck D and Lil Jon both showed up on a Meat Loaf album

but yeah i feel you dude
  • I don't really have anything against Meat Loaf.

His music is excessively melodramatic and silly, but there are worse things to be.
  • you feel like you've started from the bottom and now you're here?

now what i mean is that you feel like you.... (*lays head on desk, gesticulates vaguely*) stafrondabah a...

noweeer...
  • I don't really have anything against Meat Loaf.

His music is excessively melodramatic and silly, but there are worse things to be.

this is true

i just found the concept amusing for some reason

how do you think I feel when I see yet another website give Nothing Was The Same a 10/10.

Drake gets more boring every day, doesn't he?
  • honestly the funniest thing to me about "Started From The Bottom" jokes is that that's probably the best song on that album.

Which is kind of like saying that green mold is the most appetizing.
  • honestly the funniest thing to me about "Started From The Bottom" jokes is that that's probably the best song on that album.

you've gotta be shitting me man

really?
  • how do you think I feel when I see yet another website give Nothing Was The Same a 10/10.

Drake gets more boring every day, doesn't he?
    He's not just boring.

There are other boring rappers / singers that hipsters like for no reason (like Future, and more recently Fat Trel and Li'l Durk).

He's boring and his subject matter is like, ridiculously childish. You're a grown-ass man, stop singing about how the waitress at Hooter's broke your heart because she wouldn't give you her phone number.

you think that's a joke, but there's actually a fucking song on there about that where he names said waitress specifically. A fact that was praised in the album's Pitchfork review (which in turn put me off of Pitchfork for like a month).

you've gotta be shitting me man

really?
    "Started From The Bottom" is just a boring, mostly unintelligible mess. As opposed to a boring, unintelligible mess that is also an anthem for misogynistic manchildren.
  • edited 2014-01-17 03:56:10

the waitress at Hooter's broke your heart because she wouldn't give you her phone number.
    that is legit some of the saddest shit i have never heard

like that's some next level pathetic going on
  • Even for a rapper known for sniping at non-famous girlfriends on record,
    he's breathtakingly petty here: The album is four days old on the
    internet, and already his line "The one that I needed was Courtney from
    Hooters on Peachtree/ I've always been feeling like she was the piece to
    complete me" from "From Time" is infamous, a reference so specific that
    the actual Courtney has had to put a padlock on her social-media life.
    Drake has been talking to old flames who have no equivalent soap box to
    climb on to talk back since before "CeCe's Interlude", of course, but as
    he's gotten more famous, they've grown more malicious, and here they
    feel like a series of emotional drone strikes.
    Somehow, this is not only a good thing. But an 8.6 (what a meaningless .6, by the way)/10-level good thing.
  • im hyperventilating
  • The one that I needed was Courtney from Hooters on Peachtree/ I've always been feeling like she was the piece to complete me

first off that end rhyme is moderately painful secondly you went to Hooters, presumably more than once

i just

it's pathetic on every level
  • there is nothing about that little excerpt that isn't just

just

• you think it's painful to read imagine how painful it is to listen to.
  • it's poetry in motion

said motion is mach 5 into the fucking ground
  • new rule if you rap about hooters you must find a new job
  • there's more where he bitches about his mom, another part where he wants to go to his high school reunion so everyone has to go through a metal detector to shake his hand, the list goes on.

Like, it's as though every manchild in the world decided to elevate this random-ass dude to superstar status because they felt he embodied everything they stood for.

The saddest part is that dude was not always like this, he used to be a pretty OK rapper who bit Lil Wayne a little too hard but had otherwise never done anything offensive.

His verse here is actually, like, decent (again, leaning very heavy on the Lil Wayne style punchline/punchline/punchline rap, but that's not necessarily a bad thing) even if the hook is forgettable.
  • there's more where he bitches about his mom, another part where he wants to go to his high school reunion so everyone has to go through a metal detector to shake his hand, the list goes on.

who does he think he is, the president of the united states
  • HE'S FUCKING CANADIAN SO EVEN IF HE DID THINK HE WAS THE HEAD OF STATE OF HIS COUNTRY NO ONE WOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH A METAL DETECTOR TO SHAKE HIS HAND

DO YOU KNOW THE LAST TIME SOMEONE TRIED TO ASSASSINATE A PRIME MINISTER OF CANADA?

NEVER

THAT HAS NEVER. FUCKING. HAPPENED. BECAUSE CANADA IS NOT A DANGEROUS PLACE

DANGEROUS MEN DON'T LIVE THERE

DRAKE IS NOT A DANGEROUS MAN

HE SUCKS

HE SUCKS A LOT

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
  • DRAKE IS NOT A DANGEROUS MAN
    Courtney from Hooters would beg to disagree
  • Courtney From Hooters is probably suing him for libel and emotional damages as we speak.

Somebody is always suing every notable rapper. It is a fact of the universe.
  • what if she wins

and he ends up

back at the bottom
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    rap
  • > 2014

> not yodeling
  • > 2014

> not yodeling

(incidentally this song is about 400x better than anything on Nothing Was The Same and it's not even one of Eminem's best songs.)
  • eminem talks about how he started from the bottom and now he's here too much
  • Yeah but at least you can like

listen to an Eminem song without the very quality of his voice making you want to puncture your eardrums so that you might never hear such unholy noise again.
  • edited 2014-01-17 04:35:37

you know what i never got

"jazz rap"

like, congrats you sampled and old jazz record/got some session musicians

here's a cookie/your own genre?
  • anyhoo i have listened to like three eminem songs in my lifetime i think
  • not sure where im going with that though
  • i cant think of any metal bands that are as objectionable as drake

i can think of some that are as laughable

but none that are like as intrinsically sonically grating