Net neutrality is dead

edited 2014-01-15 15:15:19 in Talk

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    :(
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :(
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Hmm. Can they appeal to the Supreme Court?

(It's weird that I'm backing the FCC here...)
  • edited 2014-01-15 15:27:50
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Well, it's not as if it really ever worked like " end users should be able to
    connect to any site or service attached to the network, not just those
    that their broadband service provider approves".  I mean, I'm pretty goshadarn sure that the search engine Bing was slower on Google Chrome..

As for
    "There's also long been a
    generally understood principle that all Internet providers should treat
    the bits that pass through their networks more or less the same; that
    you should be able to access video from Netflix as easily as video from
    Comcast -- or even video on your Aunt Edna's website.",
    I'm pretty sure the providers have always been doing this "deliberately slow certain things down" thing.

And, well, they were slowing down file-sharing sites.  Aren't those illegal?
    Interesting. So net neutrality isn't really dead at all...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yeah. I hope we're safe...
    Though the majority of the articles I've read suggest we're fucked...
    I try to stay positive.

If I weren't, I'd be hideously depressed.
    Me too.

It occurs to me that CenturyLink is probably one of the better ISPs out there. I hope they don't get gobbled up (indeed, prior to 2011, my ISP was Qwest, which was bought out by CenturyLink that year).
  • :|

Centie and I are stuck with Time Warner. Not ideal, but I guess I should be happy it's not Xfinity.

This ruling scares me a lot, honestly.
  • Get in on the ground floor and make the heap the fastest loading page on the net before bribing Comcast gets too expensive.
  • Haven said:

Get in on the ground floor and make the heap the fastest loading page on the net before bribing Comcast gets too expensive.

I was just thinking about that...what'll happen to us if this sort of thing does take hold?
  • Seems like the ruling is basically "you have the authority to do this but you were previously doing it wrong".

The good prospect seems to be that the FCC has the authority to do something favoring net neutrality.

The bad prospect seems to be that the regulators are somewhat pro-telecom and unlikely to do it.
  • edited 2014-01-15 20:51:03

what seems most likely to me is that the only companies that will be affected directly will be streaming services, search engines and other page-loading-time-dependant/bandwidth-hogging companies

because people will become really pissed off at the telecom companies if most webpages take like 4-5 seconds to load, so making something like that happen would be incredibly stupid from a PR standpoint
  • Based on the chart at the bottom of this page, it seems that the most likely targets are several of the big bandwidth usage categories: Netflix/Youtube/Hulu/other video streaming (which together accounts for almost half of bandwidth usage overall it seems) and BitTorrent.

I would expect streaming sites to do some pushback.  A better question is what happens to torrenting.  On one hand, it's got a lot less legal ground to stand on than streaming video.  On the other hand, depending on technical details, it may be able to continue to get away with some amount of dodging new constraints, or it's possible that people will just instead turn increasingly to file-sharing sites of varying...um, sketchiness, for lack of a better term, all the way from DropBox to Mega.
  • Well, torrenting is already generally most used for really large files that take forever to download as i understand it

so like taking an extra 10 minutes to torrent something that takes like 3 hours doesn't seem like a huge deal to me?
  • Yeah...though the better question is whether it disappears altogether.
  • edited 2014-01-15 21:14:40

killing torrenting, once again, seems like a really shitty PR move.
  • edited 2014-01-15 21:17:56

Plus i'm willing to bet that telecom companies are chock-full of tech-savvy people who use torrents on a fairly regular basis for legit purposes, soooooo