Do you consider yourself an optimist or a pessimist?

edited 2014-01-15 07:33:49 in General
I consider myself an optimist. At least a cynical one anyway. Of the "things suck but I wish they were/want to make them better" variety...
Tagged:

Comments

• I'm cynical of micro-changes among people and the systems they inhabit, but optimistic because of the macro-changes that have happened over the course of history.
  • edited 2014-01-15 08:47:45
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I consider myself a who the fuck even knows certainly not me I don't fucking know no but seriously can you tell me it's been bothering me for a long time like so fucking long even when I was a little child and people went one way or the other I stayed firmly in the middle like what does that mean does it mean I can't commit to something am I completely incapable of absolutes oh man growing up two of my friends nearly killed each other because I couldn't tell either of them which one was wrong even if I totally knew which one was wrong aarrrrgghhh can somebody please tell me I really don't know
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Hope for the best and plan for the worst. :D
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Miko said:

Hope for the best and plan for the worst. :D

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    surrealist
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Optimist.
  • An optimist, with a good enough sense of realism to determine what's plausible from what isn't.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

surrealist

Actually, surrealist philosophy is pretty appealing to me on an ideological level, although I an not terribly keen on strict dialectic materialism.

I am an optimist, but I don't believe that I can use Hegel to predict the future.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

• things are the way they are

things will keep happening

if one were to assign a good/bad value to each event and graph them out i don't think you'd get any sort of meaningful trend
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^ True.

Maybe it just averages out. But I dunno.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    shit's complicated
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Thing I think: If you are a materialist and believe everyone is better of dead and that being dead is fantastic, than you must face the fact that the heat death of the universe will put an end to everything one day, and death comes for us all individually before that. You must therefore consider yourself an optimist.

I had several frustrating conversations with antinatalists attempting to get them to understand this. It never brought any fruit.
  • Pessimist, definitely. It is said that if you really hope for something, it will never happen - fate will go out of her way to mess with you
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Beholder said:

Pessimist, definitely. It is said that if you really hope for something, it will never happen - fate will go out of her way to mess with you

Sometimes I get things that I want well after I stop wanting them so much...
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Optimist.

Life is far too short to get all negative about everything.
  • Father shall be swallowed by the son, and brother shall be swallowed by brother.
    Narcissist!
  • Knight of Centralia | May those who accept their fate find happiness, may those who defy it find glory.
    a writer.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    not really

i worry about stuff a lot but i think i have a positive outlook on some things so
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Beholder said:

Pessimist, definitely. It is said that if you really hope for something, it will never happen - fate will go out of her way to mess with you