What can you deduce from my bookshelf?

edited 2014-01-10 21:30:41 in General
Tell me what this tells you about my reading habits and about me ^_^

Tagged:

Comments

• you like Harry Potter but only to a point.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    you enjoy fantasy

imaginative stuff
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You are a fan of Watterson.
  • Oh hey, that copy of H2G2 you mentioned is there :D
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    You own at least one book you will never actually read.
  • edited 2014-01-10 22:24:42
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I don't see The King's Shadow on there!

</strawAliroz>
    HAW HAW
  • edited 2014-01-10 22:27:48
    That your ideal novel is about My Little Pony characters solving murder cases at a wtichcraft school.
  • That your ideal novel is about My Little Pony characters solving murder cases at a wtichcraft school.

involving roads
    possibly also hobbits
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

I don't see The King's Shadow on there!

</strawAliroz>

I WILL EAT CENTRALIA POUND BY POUND, INCH OF SOIL BY INCH OF SOIL, SIGN BY ROYAL SIGN AND ROAD BY ROAD UNLESS YOU READ THE KING'S SHADOW BY ELIZABETH ALDER.
    i have been out-Alirozed
    No one Alirozes like Aliroz
    wears sharp hats like Aliroz
    denounces the evils of cleanliness like Aliroz
  • edited 2014-01-10 23:06:21
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I'M ESPECIALLY GOOD AT EXECTORATING!
    "exectorating" is not a word
    (2015 self)

"exectorating" is not a word

It actually is.

Look in medical journals, Imipolex.
  • That the traffic book really wants people to notice it.
    "expectorating" is a word, of course.
    (2015 self)

"expectorating" is a word, of course.

Rub it in why doncha.

Stupid doctors misspelling Expectorate.

Et tu, English language?

Then fall Aliroz.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    My personal book collection is literally like 20 - 30 times bigger than that. Many of my books, I have not read, or have only read some of. ^_^
    My personal book collection is around 300 volumes. I've probably read about 2/3 of them all the way through.
    YNTKT
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You're that jerk that asks people what they think about themselves by showing them a picture of their bookshelf.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    But these threads are fun! I like it when other people guess about me based on silly little things. ^_^
  • edited 2014-01-11 06:24:13
    1. You put books you might actually read on your bookshelf, rather than using it for decorative purposes.

2. You seem unafraid of presenting yourself as interested in a rather diverse lot of books with no coherent trends.
  • My bookshelf would hardly help anyone to identify my reading habits as most of the actual paper books I have are from long time ago and most of the current ones are digital. In particular, I have almost a whole shelf devoted to the Forgotten Realms novels, which is not my current interest.
    my bookshelf is a pretty good indication of my current reading habits, since most of the older books that i read a while ago are at my parents' house
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I generally can't afford paper books anymore, so most of my recent ones have been digital

That's why I have such a small collection of books there

I actually have all 7 Harry Potter books (first American editions, too!), but most of them are in a box upstairs from where we thought we'd be moving back in 2012
  • edited 2014-01-11 11:35:17
    i was thinking earlier, the only classic books you have on display are the Alice novels and the Brothers Grimm, which suggests a particular interest in stories about magic and strange occurances

but of course, all the other classic books will be on your Kindle, since you use Project Gutenberg, so bang goes that deduction

still, the two non-fiction books aside, you have to admit there's a definite trend there towards mystery and magic and other strange happenings
    I don't think that deduction was necessarily wrong, though...there's a reason I sprung for printed copies of those two books in particular, all.
  • edited 2014-01-11 11:36:59
    also stating the obvious but if we didn't know you we could deduce that you are American

Sorcerer's
    Ooh, I hadn't even thought of that.

Also, it just occurred to me that I never bothered to arrange my books in any particular order.
    i order my books.  It's a pain in the neck every time i get a new one, since i have to shuffle the whole lot around to make it fit, but it feels so satisfying knowing they're in the right order.
    My only real thing is to try to put obvious series together (and fail, in the case of LOTR :P) and to put books of similar size and shape together (which is why Heart of the City is right there with my Calvin and Hobbes books)

It's a weird little quirk I have, I guess, I prefer similarly-shaped books to be together
    It looks neater that way.

The order i use is: the Bible, my lit theory anthology since it's too big to fit where it ought to go, non-fiction books in alphabetical order, various non-fiction Guardian/Observer freebies, poetry in alphabetical order, plays in alphabetical order, prose literature in alphabetical order.

i keep library books and dictionaries on a separate shelf.
    That is a nice order

I could never be bothered to do that, myself, especially with as many books as you have :V
    (2015 self)
    AVENUE, YOU HAVE A KINDLE?

I THOUGHT YOU LIKED ME.
  • Dunno about Kindle but she has a Nexus 7 which is a perfectly good e-reader
    (2015 self)
    spinor said:

Dunno about Kindle but she has a Nexus 7 which is a perfectly good e-reader

WHY, AVENUE?
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  • edited 2014-01-11 13:23:25
    ^^ because she likes books, presumably

also apologies for 'kindle', i don't know a whole lot about ebooks
    I have both, actually. I bought an e-ink Kindle with some Amazon.com credit before I bought my Nexus 7.

It even has a web browser!

(2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

^^ because she likes books, presumably

also apologies for 'kindle', i don't know a whole lot about ebooks

Not as much as she likes underwear, because she's at least willing to pay more than 99 cents for underwear.
    > implying I don't buy all of my underwear at Dollar Tree
  • dude ebooks are like 10-20 dollars usually
    Yeah the only ebooks that are 99 cents are usually public domain stuff

And I'm smarter than to pay for digital copy of a public domain book
    (2015 self)

dude ebooks are like 10-20 dollars usually

Well, duh. Now they are, now that you've said that, and I've denied it. Great, the universe retroactively raised the price of E-books to 10-20 dollars just to prove me wrong.

Yeah the only ebooks that are 99 cents are usually public domain stuff

And I'm smarter than to pay for digital copy of a public domain book
    Oh, you're just gonna get public domain books for free?  What part of "Cicero deserves money for his brilliant writing" do you not understand.  What part of "The original creators of The Epic of Gilgamesh need financial support" do you not understand.

• cicero is dead