Get It Toyekken!! -- Interest Check / Signup

edited 2014-01-08 22:08:19 in Roleplay & Games
Hello again! It's your recurring GM Mojave with another wacky idea, this one is a little different though.

Get It Toyekken!!
is a longform intrigue game with no set goal and mostly free interaction (except for one mechanic which I will detail later), and several "setup" mechanics that will allow you to give your character some direction.

Now, I did say there is no set goal, however the current Mastermind (which is currently myself since I am starting the game) will set one, but it will not be apparently visible what said goal is, as the Mastermind does not have to--and in fact, should not--inform the players as to what the goal is. The goal will be set up in such a way that adversarial play (the players playing against one another in addition to myself) is likely best, and while I cannot tell you the specific goal, you should know that gameplay will primarily involve taking down the Mastermind in some fashion, at which point one player who is determined the "winner" will take over the role of Mastermind and inherit several materials from the prior Mastermind, the nature of which I'll not disclose here.

The setting of this game is the titular city of Toyekken. Toyekken is a large-ish fictional island at the rough halfway point between Japan and California. In this particular game, both magic and highly advanced, cyberpunk-style technology exist, although I will refrain from describing the setting in too much detail at present, know that it has many of the problems that plague larger cities in general, in addition to ones that plague such cities in cyberpunk settings.

Now, about your characters! There are two parts of your signup, public and confidential.

The public signup consists of:
  • Name: your character's name, or alias, if you have chosen to give them one.
  • Nature: What your character looks like outwardly to other people, and how they act to other people.
  • Background (Abbreviated): What portions of your character's background they are not likely to conceal. There must be something here.
  • Public Class: Determined by the GM.
Your confidential signup (to be PM'ed to me) contains several additional bits of information that require some elaboration:
  • True Name: Only if you had an Alias, what your character's real name is.
  • True Nature: If your character's appearance is decieving, what they would actually look like to others, and if the way they act is an act itself, how they truly act in private (eg. a serial killer would likely not have two appearances, but they would have two personalities).
  • Dirty Secrets: Portions of your character's background they are unlikely to share with many people--if anyone--willingly.
  • Aspect: (see below)
  • Tricks (3): (see below)
  • Class: Determined by GM.
So, aspects! What are aspects? Well, remember how I said both magic and high-level technology exist in this world? Basically, your character has one of three aspects--Magical, Technological, or Skilled. Magical characters have profound magical abilities. They may simply be offensive mages, but it's more likely that they are masters of illusion or something similar. Technological characters are either very skilled hackers, or are somehow technological beings (for instance, androids or self-aware AI would fall under this category simply by default). Lastly, Skilled characters are either, as the name implies, highly skilled at a particular field (for instance, they could be master detectives), or they have some mundane quality about them that nonetheless makes them exceptional.

Tricks are three ways in which your character's Aspect manifests. Tricks may be anything your character could reasonably do with relatively little preperation at any time. Thus, a character who was an Android might have the Trick "Hidden Weapon", allowing them to produce a blade from a false limb at any time. A character who is a mage might have a particular spell as a Trick (such as a Polymorph, for example). Your usage of Tricks is limited, but exactly how many uses you get and in what circumstances you are allowed to activate them will be determined my moi on a case-by-case basis.

After you have submitted your profile, I will give your character a "Class", a short description of their true nature (think a boss subtitle). As well as a public class, similar, but for viewing by other players, which describes their nature on a PC to PC level.

Lastly, there is one final thing, the Mastermind PC, who is the character that must be somehow stopped, incapacitated, halted, or killed for the game to pass on to the next Mastermind. The public portion of my Mastermind's signup submission will appear below shortly.

Because of the competitive nature of this game, I will only need about two other players to begin, although more is absolutely welcome, and it is entirely possible to join after the game has begun.

Comments