Our names and why we have them.

edited 2014-01-06 17:38:56 in General
My first name (I actually go by my middle name), Adam: I'm not sure why I have that one, but I'm pretty sure the reason is because of that one dude with the apple. My middle name, the one that I almost always go by, was one of a long list of "T" names including "Thorn" and "Thane." What I don't understand is why even with Thorn and Thane on my list of names I ended up with Tucker. Whatever, I'm quite fond of the name anyhow.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My birth (male) name: Tyler, after Chevy Chase's character in Caddyshack, who was named Ty.

My preferred (female) name: Alice, after the Lewis Carroll character, because those are some of my favorite books.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    First name is Kevin, apparently just because my parents liked that name.

Middle name is Alan, after Alan Alda, because my mom thought he was hot.

If I were gonna take a feminine name, well, for some reason I always kinda liked Bridget
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You'd make a good Bridget, somehow.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I am happily named after a Touhou character.
  • because durkheim
  • Emile has always been a name I really liked.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-01-06 18:10:04
    I'm named after my dad, he's named after his dad.

Hence, Manuel Roy LaBleep III. My mom's boss around the time she was preggers with me suggested Tre as a nickname just before I was born, and it stuck.
  • Tre said:

Hence, Manuel Roy LaBleep III. My mom's boss around the time she was preggers with me suggested Tre as a nickname just before I was born, and it stuck.
    change it to lupin

do it
  • jack - literally every male in england is named jack i dont get it

surname - double barreled. etymologically speaking, translates to 'dwarf swamp'. wow
    "Jack" did always strike me as a very English name
  • the most english name would be Nigel Spottiswoode
    or Benedict Cumberbatch
  • Benigel Cumberwoode

there

can't get more english than that
  • Nathan Micheal

they're both pretty common names in my family.

There's at least two Nathans that I know of and a ton of Micheals and variants thereof.

When my papers go through my name will be Nathan-Micheal Keith, and Keith is my father's name.
  • Tre said:

change it to lupin

do it
    Yes, do this.

Anyway, first name - Geoffrey: Comes from both the writer Geoffrey Chaucer and the character Prince Geoffrey from the film "The Lion in Winter", since my mom liked the actor who played Prince Geoffrey.

Middle name - Holt: It was my Grandma's maiden name.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I forgot why my parents called me "Kevin".

But I do know the reasoning behind my Chinese name.

"Ji" means "continue" and "Yang" means "kindness".
    today i learned we have more than one Kevin
    I knew that long ago
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    They're in your neighbourhoods. They may even be in your very house. They look just like you and me. But they're different. They're here for an unknown but probably sinister purpose. They are... Kevins!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    We are infectious.
    since Jumpingzombie isn't around to post this

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Christian name is Fitzwilliam, which was previously my mother's surname, being a patronymic marking descent from a prominent William of Ireland.

Surname is Darcy, Anglicized from D'Arcy, Norman for "of Arcy", being the original fief of my distant paternal ancestor after the conquest.

• Well if we're getting all etymological up in this bitch then I'll say that Tucker comes from "tucian" which means "torturer" but was used to refer to people who worked with fabric.
  • Isn't there a country singer named Adam Tucker?
  • Apparently, based on a quick Google search. I think I might've heard one of his songs, actually.
    Mr. Darcy said:

Christian name is Fitzwilliam, which was previously my mother's surname, being a patronymic marking descent from a prominent William of Ireland.

Surname is Darcy, Anglicized from D'Arcy, Norman for "of Arcy", being the original fief of my distant paternal ancestor after the conquest.

for a second I thought you were serious
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Robert, after my mother's uncle Bob

my parents also considered the names Michael, Gareth, and for girls Rosemarie and Lillian, but apparently when i was born i was 'obviously a Robert' so that's what they named me

(Lillian was the name of my mother's aunt; as far as i'm aware none of the other names considered had any family significance)
  • edited 2014-01-07 14:47:26
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    My first name is from the Greek diminutive form of a Latin surname meaning "downy-bearded." It is also shared by a very notable Roman, for whom I have much admiration. Hint: Gore Vidal.

My middle name is a reference to the fact that both my maternal grandfather and my father's maternal grandfather had the same name. Said name is common in England, ultimately a Welsh variation on a French name of Germanic origin, as improbable as that sounds. Add "son of" and you're there.

My last name is Dutch and means, roughly, "man who paints things." Curiously, that branch of my family is first recorded (that we can find) in Poland circa 1630. Given that they were Jewish and the Dutch were much less friendly to Jews than the Poles and Lithuanians were back in the day, it makes sense.

All three names have three syllables, for the sound of it.
    my middle name is just my dad's name
  • Julian Ververs?
    Ververs is 2 syllables, surely?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Guess elsewhere. I like keeping my name mysterious.

By which I mean attached to my music where the five people in the world that care can instantly find it.
  • A nine syllable name sounds a bit ostentatious for a ferret tbqh
  • I would've been one of those people once, but alas, hard drive crash.
  • "Jack" did always strike me as a very English name

huh, a lot of people think it's an american action hero-y sort of name. which doesn't suit me at all. i dont really have any conception of how my name is to people because, being my name, it doesnt have much meaning to me beyond 'me'. also 'my boyfriend', because his name is also jack. which is weird sometimes

Benigel Cumberwoode

there

can't get more english than that

Sir Peregrine Worsthorne.

see he's even got the knighthood. it's perfect
  • Kexruct said:

A nine syllable name sounds a bit ostentatious for a ferret tbqh

If the Redwall novels taught me anything it's that rodents exclusively have down-country English names like Martin and Luke.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    First name:  ______n.

Second name:  ________e.

My first name I got because my parents liked the sound of it.  The second hails from a river-based location from which my father's side of the family hails.
  • edited 2014-01-07 15:00:41
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Kexruct said:

I am a god of mortal vengeance and mystery. Do not slight me.

@Sunn Wolf: Having your boyfriend's name sounds quite jarring in some ways. With that in mind, I think that I appreciate even more how different my own name and my paramour's are.
    Sredni Vashtar went forth,
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.
    His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.
    Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
  • Jack & Jack sounds like the name (and premise) of a gay comedy.
  • all anyone can agree about my surname is that it either derives from a village in Holland, or we named it. Nobody is entirely sure which.

Of course we're a minor branch of the family (there is another "Auman" family that is mostly Jewish who may or may not be related to us).
    Tachyon said:

Sredni Vashtar went forth,
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.
    His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.
    Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Yes!

You earn much/many kudos.
  • i might add, not only do my boyfriend and i have the same name, our fathers also have the same first name, and our mothers have the same middle name (but not the same first name, because that would just be creepy, and impossibly confusing at any family gathering)

i like vash and naney's names as names for a couple. saying it out loud you two sound like a really highbrow french gay couple
  • I should really like to know what Sredni's name is, even if by PM, because now it's going to bug me.

Alas I can't force him to tell me.

I said as much yesterday, but if I could ever construct a name for myself wholesale I'd be Alexander Ptolemy. I like both names a lot.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Kexruct said:

If the Redwall novels taught me anything it's that rodents exclusively have down-country English names like Martin and Luke.
    Ey, are you talking smack about my boy Jacques?  'Cause you better not be.
    sunn wolf said:

i like vash and naney's names as names for a couple. saying it out loud you two sound like a really highbrow french gay couple
    Thank you! Incidentally, I have had similar thoughts.

I should really like to know what Sredni's name is, even if by PM, because now it's going to bug me.

Alas I can't force him to tell me.

I said as much yesterday, but if I could ever construct a name for myself wholesale I'd be Alexander Ptolemy. I like both names a lot.

It's no problem at all, my friend. I will.
  • I don't remember enough about the Redwall books to really know whether or not I enjoyed them.

It's been a loooooong time since I read any. I do still have my copies of The Bell-Maker and The Legend of Luke, so I suppose I could revisit them at any time.
    From what little I know, he seems to have it in for foxes and stoats. I like foxes and stoats. Racist.
  • I honestly have no idea what a stoat is.

I've always been more partial to sea life than mammals.