The Automatic Privilege Checker -- How Privileged Are You?

edited 2013-12-30 11:06:03 in General
http://checkprivilege.x10.mx/#questions

I am -240 "unprivileged."

Post your privilege, and whenever you are about to say something, you can re-check this tool for a handy privilege update! :D

~YE GRANDE PRIVILEGE LISTE~
Justice4243: +170
lee4hmz: +105
Section42L: +20
Sredni Vashtar: +10
Vriska: -85
Tre: -135
Pangur Bán: -155
Imipolex G: -170
Central Avenue: -205
Miko: -240

Comments

• edited 2013-12-29 02:10:20

this is like the third time we've had this thread, or at least this discussion
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    aww really :<
  • edited 2013-12-29 02:45:01
    I don't think tests like these are a good idea.

Privilege is real, everyone has at least one and it's important for people to know how they are affected by it. It's not a test score, it's not a case of being privileged or not privileged, and most importantly, being privileged doesn't make you a bad person and doesn't invalidate your accomplishments.

It's easy to make fun of crazy people on Tumblr, but I know way too many racist, sexist and homophobic people who take these tests because they see privilege and social justice as a joke, and I would rather reach out to them than confirm their beliefs.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I'm 170.

I'm privileged.

Uh...mystery solved?

Could do with a few more questions. I remember we had one of these and Friday was hilariously under-privileged.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, and it also treats several things as mutually exclusive when they shouldn't be (you can't be autistic and physically disabled, for one).
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Autistic and physically disabled? Who ever heard of that? If you're autistic then it doesn't matter if you have a physical disability! :D
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    For what it's worth, I got a 105. Privileged, but just barely.
  • edited 2013-12-29 02:36:19
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Oh... feel free to check your parents' or household's income instead of your personal income, and to select your sexual orientation according to your gender identity. :3

^ okee ^_^
  • You scored -155. 100 and above is considered privileged.
    cool beans now go get me a gelato you cunt
  • i wanna know how it calculated that
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I got 20.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I scored -170

I put myself as 9-10 for attractiveness because I am totally hawt
    also, no offense Miko, but this is stupid
  • edited 2013-12-29 03:28:22
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

also, no offense Miko, but this is stupid

*hugs* ^_^

i wanna know how it calculated that

425 is maximum privilege, which is then subtracted from as follows:

Male: -0
    Female: -75
    Transgender: -100
    Other: -175

Straight: -0
    Bisexual: -10
    Asexual: -20
    Pansexual: -20
    Gay/Lesbian: -170

White: -0
    Asian: -15
    Latino: -60
    Black: -125
    Other: -125

Top Europe (sweden, norway, swiss): -0
    United States/Canada: -5
    Middle Europe (UK, France, Spain): -10
    Japan or Australia: -10
    Urban China: -15
    Shit tier Europe (Greece, europe, poland): -45
    Rural China: -125
    Inda: -125
    Africa: -425
    Middle East: -625

1 million+: -0
    100k+: -150
    50k-100k: -180
    20k-50k: -200
    Poor (less than 20k): -225
    Homeless: -450

Anonymous ## Mod: +infinity
    Investment banker: -0
    Engineer: -15
    Doctor: -15
    High level IT/technology: -20
    Other: -25
    Teacher: -30
    Police or Fire Fighter: -35
    Scientist: -40
    None: -55

None: -0
    Social autism: -45
    Immobile: -55
    Disease: -75
    Deaf: -75
    Retarded: -225
    Blind: -775

Jewish: -0
    Christian: -20
    None: -25
    Agnostic: -25
    Hindu: -45
    Buddhist: -45
    Black Jew: -50
    Sikh: -55
    Muslim: -75

Tall: -0
    Normal / Middle: -10
    Short: -20

9+ to 10: -0
    Attractive face: -10
    Overweight: -30
    Ugly face: -40
    Disfigured: -60

Non-virgin: -0
    "Taken it in the pooper or mouth": -30
    Virgin: -100
    It looks like -2,180 is the lowest privilege you can get.

You scored -2180. 100 and above is considered privileged.

Check it daily by the minute.

since you're unprivileged, loading /s4s/ -- go complain about it

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I scored -205

If I thought about it enough I could probably work out how it calculated that but I don't care enough
    I just did it for you, silly. ^_^ Scroll up a little~
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I know, but I already forgot which options I chose :V
    :3
  • Now see, besides the usual problems with these kind of calculators, I have a problem with their country rating.

How privileged you are in a given country depends on your race. Sure, white people are generally well off anywhere, but do you think that an African or Asian person in High Europe is going to be more well off in Sweden as they would be in their native countries?
  • I really really don't like this kind of thing.

Most of the time in my experience privilege only barely affects people's opinions when they know they have it.
  • edited 2013-12-29 09:43:21

Now see, besides the usual problems with these kind of calculators, I have a problem with their country rating.

How privileged you are in a given country depends on your race. Sure, white people are generally well off anywhere, but do you think that an African or Asian person in High Europe is going to be more well off in Sweden as they would be in their native countries?
    *shushes*

(just go with it) ^_^

• edited 2013-12-29 11:40:17
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Heh. Virgin, Asexual, Short, Christian, other gender.

If I make less than one million a year, I'm not privileged. If my parents aren't investment bankers, I'm not privileged. Anywhere but Top Europe and America makes me non privileged.

Any ethnicity other than white makes me non-privileged, anything less than maximum attractiveness makes me non privileged.

And my NLD form of autism isn't on the chart. Anything but no disabilities makes me non privileged.

For me to be privileged would require me to be an extremely attractive white investment banker making over a million dollars a year in Top Europe or Canada/America. Also neurotypical.

Man, the least privileged person is a short blind disfigured jobless homeless virgin Muslim of other gender and other ethnicity who has the misfortune of being homosexual in the Middle East.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Man, this test really rewards you for being a transgender Muslim.
  • I got -85

LOL
  • Spiders aren't privileged at all.

Down with Spiders and up with their cousin, the Praying Mantis.

She's down with God and wants you to eat your respective mates while in the process of fornication.
  • 8ut some spiders do that!
  • But are they down with God?
    Christians are less privileged than Jews? I stand by my earlier statement.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    what criminalscum said

also 'shit tier Europe' makes me question the spirit in which this was written
  • Tachyon said:

also 'shit tier Europe' makes me question the spirit in which this was written

nooo you don't say
  • edited 2013-12-29 20:18:29
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    fine

also 'shit tier Europe' tells me the spirit in which this was written was an irreverent one which i think reinforces criminalscum's point

pedant
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    What annoys me is that you can only tick off one at a time.

Can't be a Christian Atheist, even if that's possible.

Can't be both diseased and disabled.
    I know, what do you put if you're blind, deaf and retarded?
  • Also...

Maybe it's just me, but I'd say that the mentally disabled get a lot more bull from society than the blind. 

I'm just saying, it's not like the mentally disabled have their own Daredevil.
    i can't believe it can be so cut-and-dried as that when so much is contextually dependent

which i suppose might well be the joke, since it makes the whole exercise absurd, but if so it's open to a great deal of misinterpretation
  • Tachyon said:

fine

also 'shit tier Europe' tells me the spirit in which this was written was an irreverent one which i think reinforces criminalscum's point

pedant

I assumed from the start that an anon from /g/ made it, since they also made this.
    whatever that is, malwarebytes doesn't want me to visit it
  • yeah pretty sure this was a 4chan hoax
  • spinor said:

yeah pretty sure this was a 4chan hoax

yeah well go CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE (*storms off in a huff*)
  • "Check Your Privilege!" sounds like some sort of really terrible game show
    I've noticed a lot of people can't spell "privilege"

not here, but elsewhere
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Oh come on, it's easy.

P-r-i-v-i-h-l-i-j. Privihlij.
    close enough, A for effort
  • I had to tick off "overweight" despite being pretty underweight...
  • I have c9me t9 the c9nclusi9n that this test is highly flawed and thus pr96lematic. N9where 9n there d9es it address the p9ssi6ility 9f a n9n-human taking the test, even if the n9n-human in questi9n identifies as human (the 9nly 9pti9n f9r such test-takers is t9 ch99se the rather u6iquit9us "9ther race" 9pti9n). And that's n9t even getting int9 their utter failure t9 make menti9n 9f the hem9spectrum, the fact that all 9f the l9cati9n 9pti9ns are 9n Earth including the "9ther" 9pti9n, incredi6ly limited 9pti9ns in the disa6ilities and appearance secti9ns, as well as a myriad 9f 9ther pr96lems we will address in the next lecture.
  • So wait a minute, the test itself hasnt checked its own privilege?

What shocking hypocrisy.