kowalski's is the whitest thing in all of existence

edited 2013-12-24 04:45:24 in General
like you google it and it's all like

Organic foods, deli, floral, book store, espresso, and fresh produce.

first thing

really does it get any whiter than that?

Comments

• edited 2013-12-24 04:42:52

of course after making this thread i learned that kowalski's is like a strictly local thing with only like 9 locations all in the metro area

so without like the prerequisite knowledge of kowalski's this thread doesn't really function
  • The sadness will last forever.
    walt kowalski's house?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Honestly "Kowalski" makes me think of the CGI penguin voiced by Jeff Bennett
  • walt kowalski's house?

it's like this grocery store chain shopped at solely by summit ave. types

basically think like what would happen if you took a co-op and put in within walking distance of the governor's mansion
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I wonder if there are restaurants that specialize in fried chicken, watermelon, and grape Kool-Aid.
  • prolly there is somewhere

anybody remember that hitler restaurant in india?
  • also why grape?

why not watermelon flavored kool-aid, kill two bizarre stereotypes with one stone
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    *shrug*
    I like fried chicken, never was big on watermelon, only like Tropical Punch Kool-Aid :P
  • Honestly the only people I've ever met who don't like fried chicken are vegetarians or vegans.

Watermelon and Kool-Aid are more divisive.
    Fried chicken and watermelon and Kool-Aid are da bomb. Also I'm white.
  • also why grape?

why not watermelon flavored kool-aid, kill two bizarre stereotypes with one stone
    Grape's the preferred flavour when stereotyping black drinking habits. Also see 'Purple Drink', not necessarily to be confused with 'Purple Drank'. 
  • edited 2013-12-24 08:59:29

first thing

i challenge you to go there and find something that completes Middle Class White People Food Word Bingo more thoroughly than this

hint: you cant
  • name of slightly obscure country of production: check
    'authentic' sounding word in countrys native language: check
    'fairtrade': check
    implication of commune/co-op production: check
    'sundried': check
    word that implies luxury of product: check
    sold requiring some other expensive piece of equipment to consume it: check
    fucking VALVE FOR FRESHNESS: check goddamnit
  • the best part is that "fairtrade" (one word) is legally meaningless.

I think I might've stocked that stuff at Wegman's at some point, also.
  • edited 2013-12-24 11:53:13
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

the best part is that "fairtrade" (one word) is legally meaningless.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairtrade_certification

?
  • ah, I have it backwards then.

(I know for a fact that it's either "fairtrade" or "fair trade" that doesn't mean anything)
  • Anonus said:

Honestly "Kowalski" makes me think of the CGI penguin voiced by Jeff Bennett

Me too...
  • also why grape?

Grape's the preferred flavour when stereotyping black drinking habits. Also see 'Purple Drink', not necessarily to be confused with 'Purple Drank'. 
    well like i know that, but like why is that the stereotype?

it's such a bizarre, specific thing.
  • edited 2013-12-24 12:53:05
    What I've heard is that black people who were originally from the South moved up north en masse and took their taste in Southern food with them.
  • are grapes a southern food? I associate them with Italy, personally.
  • Well you see there's always the distinct possibility that it's just stupid made up racist bullshit.
  • Kexruct said:

Well you see there's always the distinct possibility that it's just stupid made up racist bullshit.

well yeah, but it seems like such a weird thing to make up

• Kexruct said:

Well you see there's always the distinct possibility that it's just stupid made up racist bullshit.

well yeah, but it seems like such a weird thing to make up

Racist people are weird.
  • i guess.

not a very satisfying answer though
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    book stores are white? I take it black people are illiterate
  • nah man it's a book store filled with new agey self help books inside of a whole foods store
  • man this thread really doesn't work if you haven't been to Kowalski's

im kinda annoyed tbh
  • edited 2013-12-24 15:21:57

first thing

I don't see how this is white.

I also don't see how watermelon, fried chicken, and grape kool-aid are black.  I keep hearing that they are associated with black people, but as far as I am concerned, they are just societally-bandied-about stereotypes of black people.

It's like I keep hearing that women are somehow inherently more demure than men, or men are inherently more messy than women.  Except they're not true other than by people assuming in social situations that they are.

fuck y'all's stereotypes.
  • (*headdesking into infinity*)
  • kill living beings
    sunn wolf said:

name of slightly obscure country of production: check

'authentic' sounding word in countrys native language: check
    'fairtrade': check
    implication of commune/co-op production: check
    'sundried': check
    word that implies luxury of product: check
    sold requiring some other expensive piece of equipment to consume it: check
    fucking VALVE FOR FRESHNESS: check goddamnit
    what, it's not organic?? i can't eat this in good conscience until i know it is made of carbon
  • like you know that kinda person: affluent-ish, environmentally/socially conscious, almost always white, liberal arts degree, likes whole foods and Patagonia?

like the joke is that if you've been to Kowalski's it's like this complete distillation of this sort of person
    your joke FAILED

ah ha ha
  • edited 2013-12-24 15:25:21
    ^^ Yeah I understand that, though I guess my impression of such a person doesn't include their race.  It does primarily include their socioeconomic status, which is honestly the biggest reason for this kind of consumer preference.
  • well give me some credit i made it at 3 in the morning
  • Like, you see some of the same consumer preference patterns displayed by upper-middle-class non-(Anglo-)whites -- blacks, south Asians, east Asians, Hispanics, everyone.  They might mix it with some other cultural traditions, but you still get these patterns of environmental and social consciousness and willingness to pay a premium for stuff like this.

So it's not about race anyway.

The only reason it seems to be about race is that the stereotypical image of a black person in the United States is poor.
  • I don't mean to criticize you; I'm just expressing my opinion about the issue.

So, sorry, I meant no offense to you.
  • Also I like fried chicken and watermelon and I am socially and environmentally conscious (though my purchasing habits don't always reflect this).

I'm also neither white nor black, based on skin color, which is what we mean when we say race.
  • In fact my purchasing habits often reflect none of those.  I rarely ever buy fried chicken myself.  Same with watermelons.
    glenn eat your spaghetti
  • I don't buy spaghetti
    it is splashy and takes longer to cook
    instead I buy angel hair
    and San Giorgio "Quick Cook" pastas
    when they come down to US$1/pound
  • Kexruct said:

The watermelon bit's inaccurate, AFAIK. We buy less of it than the average.

Fried chicken and kool-aid are both liked, but nobody I know buys them regularly.

• oh you mean that spaghetti thing

yeah i got spaghetti one time at the cafeteria

more than once, actually, but I typically don't get spaghetti because it's bleh.  There's usually something better to get at the cafeteria, and I usually opt for that, since it's all-you-can-eat for $8.  And just slathering sauce on spaghetti is not as good of a use of my money as, say, a burger, or shepherd's pie, or something else.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    We have many such stores in Portland, even chains large chains that are like this (New Seasons, Whole Foods, etc...)
    Whole Foods killed Wild Oats

You know how I hate seeing brands die
  • I kinda seem to remember Wild Oats...what is/was it?
    A Boulder-based organic grocery chain that Whole Foods bought out several years ago.
  • Was this a good or bad thing, and why?