Sensory things

edited 2013-12-21 10:10:40 in General
I don't know if this is an autism spectrum thing or what, but for some reason I'm incredibly sensitive to the sound of older televisions.

It doesn't happen with modern LCD TVs, but old CRT TV sets make this tiny high-pitched whine whenever they're turned on, and for some reason it really pierces me. I can tell when a TV's turned on from two rooms away, even if it's not playing any audio.

Do you guys have anything like that?

Comments

• I can definitely tell by that high-pitched tone that a CRT is on.
  • Those cheap white sponges make me really uncomfortable when I have to use them.
  • edited 2013-12-21 12:13:15
    This particular brand of kielbasa has unusually tough skins.  I'm pretty sure I've weakened in the internal structure of the plastic handles of both a fork and a spoon trying to cut them into pieces.
  • kill living beings
    styrofoam
  • I hate, with all of my being, chalk, chalkboards, and any interaction between the two.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Sharpies on paper

Doesn't help that they once had an ad campaign entitled "Write Out Loud" >_<
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I remember being and school and knowing that we were going to watch a movie or something because of that infamous CRT pitch(15,734 Hz for NTSC)
    Chalk is so unpleasant to wield, dusty :x
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Really bright light hurts my eyes, I can't stand wearing denim
  • edited 2013-12-24 23:23:20
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I like the feel of wind and rain and also sunlight. :)
  • I have an older TV and it's pretty excruciating when I turn it on, although when I'm playing something on it it's not noticeable.

Although right now I can't tell if something around here's making a ringing noise or if I have tinnitus. (Relatedly, when I worked at a call center, when I came home it felt like I could still hear everyone talking in my ears--sort of like a really persistent retinal afterimage, but with noise instead.)
  • edited 2013-12-25 01:05:08
    Maybe it's something only young people can hear? I doubt autism gives you the ability to hear high pitches.

This thread vaguely reminds me of ASMR.

• edited 2013-12-28 07:47:49
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    bright light hurts my eyes too

my brother has trouble with high-pitched sounds... he gets migraines and sometimes is physically sick from it