• walking fast

faces pass and I'm homebound
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    staring blankly ahead

just making my way, making a way through the crowd
  • kill living beings
    normal guy normal wlak
  • edited 2013-12-19 02:22:17
    It took me a lyrics lookup to figure out what this was referencing.  And that was becaues I barely recognized "I'm homebound" as lyrics.

Anyhow...

this song is...curious.  There's something that sounds nice about it, but something else that grates me about it.

I think I like that it's in B major.  It's a very bright key.  And it's got that Emaj to F#maj progression...which is really bright.

On the other hand, it's very repetitive.  And that progression never quite resolves to a B major chord, except for that Bmaj first inversion chord (on D#), which is a very weak resolution.  And it does this over and over again.
  • The melody is also repetitive.  The best part of the sung melody is the last first-phrase of the refrain -- starts at about 3:18.  The voice is also a bit draggy.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    glenn eat your spaghetti
  • man do we really need all that music theory to analyze vanessa carlton

is it necessary

also only gay homos resolve their chord progressions
  • Incidentally, I just noticed that the song contains the Time After Time Substitute for the J-pop Progression.

The J-pop Progression, or what I call by that name, is IV V iii vi.  In the current key of B major, it would be E F# D#m G#m.

The Time After Time Substitute replaces the last vi with a IV: IV V iii IV.  It shares two of the same notes as vi, but gives a "pulling back" feeling rather than an "moving forward" feeling.  In effect, it is actually a deceptive cadence in the relative minor key (minor dominant (v) going to natural submediant ((b)VI) rather than tonic (i)).  I first noticed this in the song Time After Time.  You can hear it when the singer (either Cyndi Lauper or INOJ, possibly others) sings "You, say; go, slow;"; each of those words is one of the four chords of this substitute progression.

Not sure why I call it a "substitute".  It doesn't really have the same function as the J-pop progression (which is often followed by something that goes to the tonic of the major key in about three chords).  All it is is kinda similar.

But anyway, it shows up here (E F# D#m E), in A Thousand Miles.  In fact, it basically underlies the majority of the song.  It's used four times in a row just for the piano intro.  It continues into the verse, and the second phrase of the verse uses an abbreviated version of it (missing the last IV before repeating).  Occasionally, there's a vi chord (G#m), but even the refrain is almost entirely this progression.

Granted, it's not exactly this progression.  This more so describes the bass line motion.  The F# is often an F#-B-A#, which is kinda like a suggested F# chord with a B held through from the previous chord and onto the next one, and the D#m chord is more usually a B/D# chord (i.e. B major with D# in the bass), but they all still resolve to an E major chord (or an E6 chord the fourth time in that piano intro, which is E major plus an added C# note, so it's not much different).

But it just does this ALL SONG LONG.
  • On the other hand I'm also pretty fond of the song.  I really like that A# that resolves downwards.  It gives the song a very bright and sunny feel, with a tinge of nostalgia.

So I'm conflicted.
  • man do we really need all that music theory to analyze vanessa carlton

is it necessary

it is for me to figure out why I kinda like the song but kinda don't

also only gay homos resolve their chord progressions

Well, then, I'm going to leave you hanging!  Fuck you t
  • okay, i'm sorry i derailed the thread, already!
  • edited 2013-12-19 02:48:11

if all of the important details in the song are harmonic in nature it's prolly not a terribly interesting song.

just sayin
  • that isn't to say that harmonic ideas can't be interesting

but like if all you have is a bunch of chords and a melody and whatever it's gonna get pretty boring pretty fast
  • man fuck y'all

the entire point of this thread is this guy

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

see how fucking happy he was? How content he was to stroll along to the tune of some Vanessa Carlton? Couldn't let him have that could you? Had to bring in some music theory and shit didn't you? Now he feels guilty that he enjoys music that is not necessarily terribly complex!

That turns him from a happy jogging man into this

_( ._.)_

good fucking job
  • edited 2013-12-19 02:55:52

vanessa is fine

the guitar in that song has always annoyed me though

there's too much going on already and the guitar kinda pushes it over the edge imo
  • that's not the point, you guys made Bill sad.
  • it starts out really nice though, just a piano

i wonder if there's a version with just her and the piano
  • well I think Bill feels a bit better now

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

ah yes, there he goes.

Go get 'em, Bill! You ask your boss for that raise!
  • edited 2013-12-19 03:22:36
    kill living beings
    hm, CANADIAN SYLLABICS NASKAPI WAA, that's new to me

the arms are naskapi syllabics too

well or just "canadian syllabics", i shouldn't pretend to no bull shit about these script