James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

edited 2013-12-17 03:14:55 in General
what the fuck does this even mean? I had had had an idea, but now its gone.

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    punctuation is important
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Yet, I don't believe there is any correct way to punctuate "Buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
    The correct way is the way you wrote it.

When read aloud, the intonation removes much of the ambiguity.
  • Buffalo, Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
  • Also, the James while John sentence depends on intentionally choosing a confusing word order.  Normally, one would start with the "while" clause.

The Buffalo sentence depends on abnormal lack of articles and linking pronouns.
  • edited 2013-12-17 13:03:49
    While John had had "had", James had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

The buffalo, which Buffalo buffalo buffalo, also buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Also, no one uses "buffalo" as a verb.

Buffalo, Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

This is incorrect; commas cannot be used this way.

To illustrate why this is wrong, substitute another noun, verb and adjective into the equivalent parts of the sentence, e.g. 'SJWs, tumblr SJWs bully, bully tumblr SJWs.'  Doesn't make sense, does it?

To disambiguate the sentence, you can instead add additional words: 'Buffalo that Buffalo buffalo buffalo in turn buffalo other Buffalo buffalo.'
  • edited 2013-12-17 14:14:42
    I'd argue that commas should be used in that sentence; it's better than writing it with no commas.  It makes more sense with the pauses.

Perhaps ellipses are better, though they also may incorrectly imply missing text.
  • edited 2013-12-17 14:23:45
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    It's not grammatically correct with the commas.  Ellipses are even worse, since they imply huge pauses.  It's a simple statement about the actions of buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo.  Surely you wouldn't write 'Heapers, other heapers argue with about punctuation, become increasingly pedantic.'

Or would you?  If you would, i'm afraid you are wrong.
    Or say we take out the enlargement of the subject.  For the sake of clarity, i'm also going to replace the verb 'buffalo' with 'bully'.  With your commas the sentence would then be:

Buffalo, bully Buffalo buffalo.

You can see why this is incorrect, can't you?
  • edited 2013-12-17 15:01:02
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Buffalo from Buffalo (the city) bully Buffalo from Buffalo

So Buffalo Buffalo (Bison from Buffalo) bully Buffalo Buffalo (Bison from buffalo)

Since Buffalo means bully,

Buffalo Buffalo (Bison from Buffalo) buffalo (bully) Buffalo Buffalo (Bison from Buffalo).

SO

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

The original sentence doesn't necessarily imply that, although logically you would expect the vast majority of buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo to themselves be Buffalo buffalo by the simple fact of their proximity to other Buffalo buffalo.
  • Tachyon said:

Or say we take out the enlargement of the subject.  For the sake of clarity, i'm also going to replace the verb 'buffalo' with 'bully'.  With your commas the sentence would then be:

Buffalo, bully Buffalo buffalo.

You can see why this is incorrect, can't you?

No, you're changing the word order.  Original word order would analogously be:

"buffalo, Buffalo buffalo bully, ..."

(with the first "buffalo" being capitalized only because it's the beginning of the sentence, but I've decapitalized it here for clarity)

Now, you normally wouldn't pause while reciting a sentence of that structure.  However, in this sentence, which includes so many potentially confusing pieces, if you're a good speaker, you will use pauses in order to make it as clear as possible to the audience, assuming you don't change the word order at all.

The commas or ellipses represent those pauses.
  • edited 2013-12-17 15:49:01
    i'm not changing the word order.  i took out the enlargement of the subject (the 'Buffalo buffalo buffalo') leaving only the subject ('Buffalo', capitalized because it's the first word in the sentence).

i get what you're saying about the commas, but that's still not grammatically correct.  If you were saying the sentence aloud, of course you'd put pauses in, but commas are not simple indicators of pauses.  There are rules about where a comma can or can't go.
  • edited 2013-12-17 15:52:45
    commas, semicolons, dashes, ellipses, and sentence enders (periods/interrogs/bangs) indicate pauses.

If you don't use commas, you should use another indication of a pause.

None of the others is a more fitting indication in this case.  Except maybe an ellipsis.
  • edited 2013-12-17 15:59:12
    Funny thing is that I'm not normally this socially assertive.

I'm just doing it here because I can easily get away with it under the guise of shitposting, in which context, I can say things that I'd like to say and not be taken as seriously about them
  • edited 2013-12-17 16:06:32
    Well, in meatspace, you would probably hate me for making such a big deal about being grammatically activist, by now.

But here, I can cite that this is a General-category thread and claim that I have been shitposting. :D
    Still, written English has rules.  It is not a simple signifier of spoken English, as should be apparent in the presence of graphemes which signify but cannot be pronounced, and by the fact that it is neither possible nor deemed necessary to indicate every aspect of spoken English on paper.
  • But written English should be written in such a way that it's easy to understand.
    Also, i forgot you were a grammatical activist.

i refuse to stand for such nonsense, but i suppose it means arguing about this is pointless in any case.

But written English should be written in such a way that it's easy to understand.

If one wishes to convey information, yes.  In that respect, 'Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.' is just a bad sentence.
  • edited 2013-12-17 16:17:03
    In all honesty, I recognize that putting commas there (without adding "which"), would be technically incorrect by current grammar rules.  And I'm arguing only because fun and/or bored.

But I think that those rules should be relaxed for confusing sentences, in notating conversation.  Such as the one in the above paragraph.

Formal writing might be a bit different, admittedly.  Probably should be done with a priority on ease of reading rather than ease of sounding.  In which case the existing grammar rules would apply more.

This whole issue rarely ever comes up, of course.  Probably the only time it really does come up is in the notation of song lyrics: does one post commas when they should grammatically come up, or where there are pauses in the melody?

I naturally tend toward the latter.  Though, ideally, they should coincide; that would be proper lyricization of a melody.
    Well, nobody would ever use that sentence in spoken conversation, unless they were actually discussing that sentence.

Song lyrics are a little different; generally i think they should follow the rules of poetry, in which rules of punctuation are normally adhered to but are relaxed considerably.

Which is to say, poetic licence applies.
  • I would like to see brackets get used for long dependent clauses, though.  Or some other notation.

But in general I think that long rambling sentences could be improved with some rewriting/punctuation.  For example:

"We show by dynamic modeling of carbon flux results from seven detailed studies by us of temperature and tropical wetlands and from 14 other wetland studies by others that methane emissions become unimportant within 300 years compared to carbon sequestration in wetlands."

"By applying dynamic modeling of carbon flux -- to seven detailed studies by us of temperature and tropical wetlands, and 14 wetland studies by others -- we show that methane emissions become unimportant (compared to carbon sequestration, in radiative climate forcing effects) within 300 years."
    Yes, the punctuation definitely makes that much clearer.
  • Tachyon said:

Still, written English has rules.

*suggestions
    RULES
    buffalo(Buffalo) buffalo (buffalo buffalo buffalo[Buffalo])
  • Tachyon said:

RULES

if you want a language with rules learn French

also

i am happy with English

its rules exist by convention, not because any authority said so

it's all very democratic
  • That's more like mob rule than actually democratic, but whatever.
    >implying democracy is not a euphemism for mob rule
  • for example
    what i would do, what i, would, give, if, you,
    returned to me, someday, somehow, someway...
    if my tears could bring you baaack...to me.
    ...actually I think we need a half-comma.
  • edited 2013-12-17 17:28:55
    see that's the problem here

you're treating them as you would rests in music

that's not how written English works, and i feel it's kind of disrespectful to the medium to try to mould it into a kind of programming language for spoken English
  • Well that's why I was saying we need a half-comma, or some other symbol that represents pause but isn't a punctuation symbol that has some other meaning.

I guess a dash might be the closest thing, actually.
  • Also, phrase structure in music and phrase structure in lyrics should be roughly equivalent, for optimal effect.
  • edited 2013-12-17 17:40:02
    Higgledy-piggledy
    Emily Dickinson
    Liked to use dashes
    Instead of full stops.

Nowadays faced with such
    Idiosyncrasy
    Critics and editors
    Send for the cops.

- Wendy Cope

Also, phrase structure in music and phrase structure in lyrics should be roughly equivalent, for optimal effect.

Fair enough, but in that case why not go the whole hog and notate the vocal part with lyrics underneath?
  • Because it is horribly difficult to show music in text

if it weren't, you would see me shitposting music ALL THE DAMN TIME
  • like if i could shitpost music

I would have shitposted BARK AT THE MOON like twenty times already