Breckenfell -- An RPG -- Signups & Discussion

edited 2013-12-15 22:42:34 in Roleplay & Games
The Tiny city-state of Breckenfell, a recently-established Kingdom of Man, is recovering from the long war which led to its founding. Led by the young Wizard-cum-Duchess Alioda Brecken, the coastal province struggles to survive and prosper in a post-warfare land.

You are here to, perhaps, aid this process. Whether you're a pirate gone straight, a warrior in exile from the Orcenlands, a traveling Dwarvish merchant, or a young upstart Wizard, you saw some opportunity in this place. In a bustling inn called the Foamwater, you've come to search for employment, whatever your reasons be. And for you, employment is adventure, a dungeon crawl to find a lost artifact, a rescue mission, or even simply busting up a thieves' ring. They're all possibilities.

-------------

Hello again my RP friends. As always, I've set up a silly little RP here for us with not a great amount of forethought. But I gave it some, this time! So hopefully that'll help :P

What's above is the intro, here's the background. Breckenfell is a coastal city-state on the continent of Mahereline (that is the name Men give to it at any rate, the other races have their own names for it). You're an adventurer (are you ever anything else?) seeking employment. You'll pick a race and a class to determine the direction you want to take your character, and then provide a name and some background. You'll also provide three Abilities. Depending on your class these might be magic spells, trickshots with a bow and arrow, whatever. These are for combat, and will serve as your primary weapons.

This adventure is extremely rules-light, so don't get too caught up in that if you can't figure something out immediately.

In any case, here are your race and class selections.

-----------------------

Races

Common Races (You may always play these races)

Human -- Just your average human. Humans have the second-shortest lifespans of any of the major races (living generally to 80-100 years of age, if in good health), and also have the highest propensity for innate magic capability. As such, they make terrific casters of all types, they are unmatched as Magi and Priests, and only the Dwarves can compete with them as Artificers. If you are a human in Breckenfell, you are the likeliest of any race here to be one of its citizens (Breckenfell is a Kingdom of Man after all), and may be a former soldier. If a mage, you're quite likely to be an upstart looking to impress one or more Archmagi elsewhere.

Elf -- The desert elves of Kekhent and its surrounding nations. Descendents of the long-extinct forest elves, the Kekhentians are a slender, goldskinned people. If you're in Breckenfell, it's likely you're either a habitual traveller or escaping a criminal past. And on that note, the Elves make expert thieves due to their lightfootedness. Former soldiers in the Kekhentian army are almost certainly proficient with both longbows and sabres. The Elves live somewhat longer than men, generally dying of old age around 120-140 years old.

Dwarf -- The many clans of the Dwarven Republic of Drebneyen are prone to travel--either to seek new and exotic items to sell back home, or simply out of wanderlust or curiosity--so it's not unusual for them to come to upstart nations like Breckenfell. On a less wholesome note, as Drebneyen is the only major nation to not have outlawed necromancy, it's possible you may be an acolyte of the dark arts (though this is certainly possible for other races too). Dwarves--the Irwremar, or Iron Dwarves in particular--are known for their skills in artificery as well, and rival humans in that field. Dwarves are stout, and depending on their specific clan, many of the men choose to grow long beards and many women choose to grow long hair, often twisted into elaborate braids (though pointedly, many Cave Dwarves remain both cleanshaven and bald at all times). Dwarves have the longest lifespan of any major race, and can reach 200 years of age if in good health.

Orc -- The many Rings of Orc-Kind, which dictate the lives of all Orcs in the Holdery of The Orcenlands (where most live), dictate how Orcs generally live their lives. If a warrior--especially if still possessing your armor--your quite likely to be an exile from the last Orcish rebellion, when General Ghedu Khonn banished three whole battalions for refusing to massacre a rebel village (an act he was later stripped of his position for). If not, you may be following one of a myriad of the ringpaths. In particular, it's not uncommon for devotees of certain Orcish gods to travel the continent as healers, curing sickness or telling fortunes in exchange for a meal and night's rest, though it is unfortunately also not uncommon for con-men to pose as such healers. Orcs stand slightly taller than humans, and their skin color generally ranges from grey to green. Depending on their Ring, an Orc may file their tusks (which somewhat resemble an elephant's) or let them grow unchecked, perhaps even taking pride in their length. Some Orcs also grow out their facial hair, but the majority remain cleanshaven. Orcs are short lived, most not living past 70. Though there are rare orcs that have lived as long as men.

Exotic Races (you need to come up with an interesting backstory to play these)

Trolls -- The Trolls are a distant cousin of the Orcish race, but almost all of them live on the Island of Khadajashmir, under the protection of the human king of Ualic. It is unusual for Trolls to venture far from this island, but some do, in order to find their place in the world, or merely out of curiosity or wanderlust. A trait that extends across all races. Trolls look similar to Orcs, but are taller, and more skinny. Their fingernails also grow into claws if not frequently trimmed (which an individual troll may or may not choose to do).

Sea Elf -- Also known as Mermen, the Sea Elves are an amphibious species native to the continent's coasts, and most Mer-Nations are submerged beneath the waves as a result. They trade frequently in Breckenfell, but it is unusual for one to stay there for an extended period of time.

------------

Classes

Martial Classes --

Warrior -- You are a retired or exiled soldier, a mercenary, or former men-at-arms. You are competent with a variety of weapons (though masters of none of them) and are better than most at wearing armor while moving at a servicable speed.

Weaponmaster -- You have always been fascinated by a certain weapon, and have trained for much of your life to use it to its fullest potential. This, coupled with a lack of armor training, gives you somewhat limited range, but within that range, your reach is almost limitless.

Monk -- You fight without weapon or shield, believing combat to be an extension of the self. You are a devotee of one or more gods who glorify battle or single combat in some way or another. It's likely that you're very honorable, in your own fashion.

Skill Classes

Marksman -- Whether with bow, rifle, or even more exotic weapons, you are a master of a specific type of ranged attack. As long as you've got some ammo on hand, you're unstoppable.

Swashbuckler -- You're a pirate gone straight, and that's the story you're sticking to. You've got some proficiency with both the blade and a range weapon (probably a pistol, but slings and other such weapons are possible as well). If there's not a thief in your party, you're unquestionably the shadiest member. If there is, you and the thief probably fight about who is.

Thief -- You're no simple robber or brigand. You fancy yourself something of an artisan, your preferred medium simply happens to be perfectly-orchestrated theft. It's likely you're also proficient with knives and/or poisons, to tie up loose ends.

Magic Classes

Mage -- You're a true and pure spellcaster. Either you've studied under a master archmage to learn their magicks from scratch, or you've got a natural born talent. Whatever the case, and whatever your field of specialty, as long as you've got enough mana, you're a true force to be reckoned with.

Priest -- You're a lot like the mage, though you'd never admit it. The rationalists and skeptics of the world might say your power comes from within, but you know it's the deity (or deities) you worship who bestows you with your mighty gifts. (Some priests call themselves Shamans or Druids, this is largely a semantic difference).

Artificer -- You're half wizard, half mad scientist. All of your magic power comes from devices--wands, trinkets, even those newfangled flare jars all the kids use nowadays--and some purists would accuse you of being a hack. But they won't be laughing for too long once you show them your new Magibomb 3,000.

---------

Get to signing up! Most importantly, have fun.

Comments

• But he never had a chance to bloom from the awkward jerk caterpillar that he was into a beautiful, cruel, sociopathic butterfly!

Alternatively, I could change him so he's slightly less of a jerk.
  • naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

(idc do whatever you want)
  • I have composed an example character.

Name: Niepter-Oon "Ooni" Jukhat
    Race: Elf
    Class: Mage
    Level: 1 (Levels are awarded at story intervals. There is no experience system)
    Description: Frequently cloaked in thick layers of black clothing, Niepter-Oon is thus difficult to describe accurately. Her voice is somewhat shrill, and her personality both bubbly and willfully obtuse. "Ooni" is a practitioner of rare time magic, something she often keeps under wraps. Despite her somewhat silly projection, Ooni knows she toys with dangerous forces, and is a very cautious spellcaster.

Abilities:

[Abilities should have a name, and should be followed in parentheses by what kind they are. Spells are magic, Skills involve specific know-how to execute, and may be difficult, but are not magic, and Martial skills involve combat and the use of weapons. I may rule a specific ability too powerful for a low level character, but abilities change as you level up, and you get a new one each level.]

Stop! (Spell): Ooni freezes time in a location for a few seconds (no more than five). Potential uses include halting enemies, saving allies from peril, or disarming traps.

Backtrack (Spell): Ooni returns to her location five seconds prior to where she as at the time this spell is cast. Undoing damage, and reversing any negative effects.

Flare Jar User (Martial): Ooni is trained in the use of a Flare Jar, a small magical pot that one reaches into (either with one's hand or a stick of some sort) and flings out a bolt of magical energy, dealing damage. Flare Jars are powerful but take a few moments to use properly. Flare Jars are ammo-based and use either small crystals or dust for ammunition, it is possible for a Flare Jar to become empty and thus unusable.
  • Name: N. Lanccaster
    Race: Human
    Class: Artificer
    Level: 1
    Description: A thin black man with rectangular glasses, often draped in a black cloak. Born to one of the more well-off families in Breckenfall, he considers adventuring and artificing to be a way to find independence from his family and its legacy. Often considered to be curt to the point of rudeness, he's nonetheless efficient at his calling, which allows him to still get hired as an adventurer. Specializing in light magic and illusions, he's more than willing to delve into dangerous realms to find the power he seeks, and to destroy anyone in his path.

Abilities:

Phantasmagoria (Skill): Uses a hard light Projector to project a simulacrum* of a dangerous beast in front of him. Lasts for 5 seconds. This can be used to frighten weak-willed opponents and give the user time to flee. 

Spark Stick (Martial): A wand set to fire bolts of light in order to deal damage. Compared to the Flare Jar, it trades sheer power and ammo capacity for speed, as it can be fired with little preparation and little reload time. It uses pure light energy as a power source, and it recharges whenever it's in the presence of light. It takes a day to reload it with a single match; a couple of hours with a campfire; ten minutes in open sunlight

Trick of the Light (Spell): Allows N to disappear for a couple of seconds. The exact methodology is N's secret. Some suspect that it's a manifestation of some hidden power within him. Others assume it's a Projector trick of some sort. Often used to snatch artifacts of great power left unattended. 

* Simulacra are creatures made entirely out of ethereal substances (i.e. mana, aether, hard light, divine power, etc.), usually in the form of existing creatures.  While not as permanent as the creature they're mimicking, simulacra are popular with novice conjurers and druids, as they can be created and dismissed more efficiently than their real counterparts.
  • Man, how do people even learn magic here?

Is it like apprenticeship stuff or is there a formal school for mages?
  • Acererak said:

Man, how do people even learn magic here?

'tis a mystery.

No but seriously, there are a lot of possible ways.

You can learn it from an experienced arcanist in a one-on-one setting, go to a formal mage college in some larger cities (Breckenfell itself has one, but it's small compared to some others that exist). If you're a Priest you can go to a monastery and learn magics relevant to whatever deity or deities the clergy there worship.

Lastly, you can teach yourself, as some shamans but rarely anyone else does. Self-taught magic is a long, laborious process, and usually requires the person attempting it to be a little crazy. Generally speaking I wouldn't expect any characters in this RP to be self-taught. It's hard.
  • Are elf mages generally looked down upon in elf society or are they surprisingly common?
  • Apprenticeship stuff, mainly. Studying under the archmages and whatnot.

I'm guessing that's just for official mages though.

Druids and Priests and whatnot probably go to some decade-long seminar to get in touch with Nature/God.

Artificers...I have the feeling that there's no official education for Artificers. You find some magical materials, purchase or steal some diagrams and blueprints, read a couple of books published by the older Artificers, and you're set.

• Acererak said:

Are elf mages generally looked down upon in elf society or are they surprisingly common?

Elven magi are about as common as magi of any other non-human race (common enough, and not a super-unusual sight even if you don't necessarily see one every day).

I only mentioned humans specifically as being a little magic-crazy because...well, they are.
  • I kind of think I might want to join but I have two questions:

1: As far as the setting goes, are we skewing closer to urban or traditional fantasy?

aaaaaand

2: How are things going to be handled as far as the game itself is concerned (i.e. turn-based system or post-as-things-happen)?
  • 1. a bit of both but more the latter. The tech level is not modern.

2. turn-based but only loosely so
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-12-19 00:26:13
    Alrighty, first time ever doing this. If he sucks, just tell me.

Name: Oren H. Spuner

Race: Human
    Class: Swashbuckler
    Level: 1
    Description: A mixed-race boy of the sea, Oren, who also goes by Spoon (an abbreviation of his last name), is affable (if sarcastic), outgoing, and fearless (or so he'd have you think). Raised on a fearsome privateer ship from the northern shores of Mahereline, Oren relished in a life of pillaging and plundering until a job went bad and he ended up in the brig of a ship commandeered by a band of bandits. After escaping the ship by the skin of his teeth, Oren washed ashore at Breckenfell, and with nowhere else to go, he stumbled into the Foamwater Inn with nothing but a dirty cutlass, an empty pistol, and a hankering for another adventure...

Abilities:

Slashing Strike (Martial): Oren makes use of that trusty cutlass to deal some damage. Range is predictably short, as the sword's designed specifically for close quarters combat, but is (currently) O's most effective way to wreck stuff. Takes more than 5 seconds.

Bang Bang! (Martial): Pretty much a straightforward double tap from Oren's flintlock pistol. Has more range than the Slashing Strike, but doesn't do as much damage and pales in comparison to magical attacks of similar degrees. Takes roughly 5 seconds.

-i still gotta find out another skill, it will go here-
  • sweet

one more person and I'd be willing to start the game.
  • I still need a third applicant before we can reasonably start playing.
  • in the meantime I will of course answer lore questions, as anyone who's played a game with me before knows I love to do.
  • Human pirates are a relatively normal thing, right?
  • Pirates exist in almost equal numbers for all species.

The only races this isn't true of are the Trolls (there are fewer Troll pirates simply because there are fewer Trolls), the Merfolk (there are more merpirates simply because, again, there are more of them already in the ocean), and the various cave races, who I have not yet covered, and generally have no access to oceans of any sort.
  • so, geography lesson, because I am bored.

Meheraline is a massive continent, and despite it often seeming to the contrary, there are actually quite a number of sovereign political states within it (though the vast majority answer to one or more of the most powerful few).

Only an estimated half (possibly even less) of the continent is, however, actually civilized. In the north, the Orcenlands are the farthest-east nation, south to them are the Dwarven states (primarily the Republic of Wregarheim), and south of them is the Elvish empire of Kekhent. West of the Dwarves and Elves are the many human nations, and most merfolk make their homes either off the west coast, or on the archipelagos there.

East of these civilized lands you have many mysteries, which will be elaborated upon at a proper time, if such a time comes.
  • I should clarify that the class names are catch-all terms for the most part.

An artificer does not necessarily have any particular societal role associated with him. Within Breckenfell they are generally members of the local nobility, relatives thereof, or out-of-towners. Artificers do tend to be upper-class moreso than lower, as it's an expensive hobby, but it's not impossible to scavenge the necessary materials if one is poor.