Parallels Between Fox Kids/Family and The Hub

edited 2013-12-07 21:01:29 in General
They both involved Margaret Loesch.

Fox Family and The Hub both had cyclone-shaped logos.

Both lucked out with one mega-popular show that overshadowed everything else on their lineups.

They were both joint ventures (Fox Kids/Family Worldwide was a joint venture between News Corporation, Haim Saban, and Allen & Company, while The Hub is a 50/50 partnership between Discovery Communications and Hasbro).

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Also, Townsend Coleman was The Tick and is one of The Hub's voiceover guys.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Anonus cares deeply about both of them
    He also owns much of what's left of Fox Family Worldwide and half of The Hub in another timeline
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    both were/are television networks

both aired cartoons and children's entertainment

both were/are based in America

neither was/is available to people without satellite or cable

both broadcast only within the last 20 years
    Fox Kids was an over-the-air block, Fox Family was the Family Channel and is now ABC Family

Fox Kids lasted from 1990 to 2002, Fox Family from 1998 to 2001
    neither is interested in airing an animated adaptation of Gravity's Rainbow
  • edited 2013-12-07 21:23:53
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ derp, i thought Fox Kids and Fox Family were both iterations of the same channel for some reason

i never watched Fox so i didn't know Fox Kids was on Fox
  • edited 2013-12-07 21:24:30
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Gravity's Rainbow probably isn't child-friendly enough for us...

^They kind of were; Fox Family was the U.S.'s equivalent to the "Fox Kids"-branded channels abroad
    but my post holds true for Fox Family and The Hub, if we exclude Fox Kids
    what about FOX NEWS
    overhaul Fox News to make it closer resemble The Hub
  • edited 2013-12-07 21:30:02
    If I ever buy 21st Century Fox I am going to shut down Fox News with no warning and replace it with a marathon of The Tick to promote healing in America while I figure out what to do with the channel space
    Also, the News Corporation-Haim Saban-Allen & Company joint venture was only in effect from 1996 to 2001. Depending on the source, the Fox Kids block was, before then, either completely owned by News Corporation or jointly owned by News Corporation and the Fox network affiliates.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Both networks had popular programs that managed to court a sizable periphery demographic, partially by design and partially by pure dumb luck.
    I mentioned that, but not with that phrasing...that phrasing's probably better.
    It was a little different with Fox Kids; Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was the huge hit in the target demo, while Animaniacs (and to a less extent, Batman) had all the teenage and adult fans. MLP:FIM managed to do both.
    If I ever buy 21st Century Fox I am going to shut down Fox News with no warning and replace it with this gif on a continuous loop:

• edited 2013-12-07 21:49:06
    lee4hmz said:

It was a little different with Fox Kids; Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was the huge hit in the target demo, while Animaniacs (and to a less extent, Batman) had all the teenage and adult fans. MLP:FIM managed to do both.

I knew A! was big with the older set (Toon Zone grew out of a fansite for it) and is fondly remembered, but it never struck me as a megahit...
    I believe that at one point, it was their most popular program behind Power Rangers. Of course, Warner Bros had to screw that up with The WB. :P
    It seems like Kids' WB! coming along and taking those shows away (though Taz-Mania never jumped there; it always seemed to be kind of a '90s WBA black sheep for some reason) and getting Haim Saban as an actual partner in the block was a one-two punch that did it in...
    that sounds rather tragic
    It was. There was a dearth of new episodes in 1994-1995, and I thought sure the series had been cancelled until I heard about Kids' WB. On top of that, the year or two hiatus caused several of A!'s best writers (Sherri Stoner, Deanna Oliver, Peter Hastings) to jump ship, and the last two seasons of A! were notably lackluster for it.
    Did the fans/viewers hate the Goodfeathers even then? Because the four-episode second season is comprised entirely of content that got left on the cutting room floor for season one, and there was a half-hour that was mostly Goodfeathers...
    I actually don't know what other people thought of them, though I remember not having very strong feelings for the Goodfeathers either way.
    People don't seem to like them (or the Hip Hippos) very much...
    The Hip Hippos were pretty much the dullest characters on the show. I know the writers meant well, but I have to think they had a lot of trouble giving a lot to do...practically the only amusing thing they did was speaking in Brazilian Portuguese accents for some reason.
    i liked the Goodfeathers and found them amusing

no strong memories of the Hip Hippos tho
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

If I ever buy 21st Century Fox I am going to shut down Fox News with no warning and replace it with this gif on a continuous loop:

And then Fox News would, improbably, become Best News.

Because nanner-nanner boo-boo, I am a bat.