Gadget thread

edited 2013-12-06 12:05:18 in Talk

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    inb4 Anonus talking about how this was the only good DIC cartoon

(Anonus apparently forgets Madeline existed. :P)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

inb4 Anonus talking about how this was the only good DIC cartoon

(Anonus apparently forgets Madeline existed. :P)
    You forgot AOSTH and, from what I've heard about it, Sonic SatAM
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Sure, those too.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    AOSTH was many things, but I wouldn't call good one of them.
    It's enjoyable in a twisted way, and really it's one of the handful of DIC shows that's actually watchable

But really, you could just take 95% of DIC's library out of circulation and nobody would notice
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    SatAM was one of those shows that did not live up to my nostalgic memories of it. :/

Or maybe the first few episodes just weren't that great...
  • Go Go Gadget Forum Post!
  • edited 2013-12-06 17:35:06
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I never really saw this show (although I've always intended to), but I feel it should be represented in this thread:

• > real
    > it's a cartoon

Also, can we get one of these two threads' categories changed, so they're easier to distinguish?

Unless the indistinguishability is part of the joke.
    "Real" was a swipe at Filmation, who had a "Ghost Busters" of their own.
    DHX doesn't own The Real Ghostbusters; it is immune to The Culling
  • edited 2013-12-07 05:33:19
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    American cartoons > anime :P

(says the guy with a character animated in Mexico for an avatar)
    You know what always annoyed me? People who call people from my country "USians" out of insistence that "American" is ambiguous

You wanna get that pedantic? Fine. "USian" is ambiguous too, because the United States of America isn't the only "United States". Mexico exists, guys!
  • But what if you used Usaian/USAian?
    That would work, I guess, even though it looks stupid.

It's just a pet peeve of mine: people being more pedantic than the average person but not as pedantic as they could be.

Another example: A user on another forum insists that "REDUCED SPEED AHEAD" is incorrect because it implies the speed of traffic actually decreases, when in reality people ignore the speed limit; he insists that the proper wording is "REDUCE SPEED AHEAD", as a command.

But, if you want to be that pedantic, "REDUCE SPEED AHEAD" isn't correct either, because if you're already driving at or below the lower speed limit you aren't required to reduce your speed at all. The only 100% correct phrasing would be "REDUCED SPEED LIMIT AHEAD".
    Pictured: what just happened to this thread

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    hoist by his pedantic petard

and Mexico is North American, but not American

there, ambiguity removed
  • edited 2013-12-07 12:03:36
    [s]so does that mean that North America does not describe the northern part of America?[/s] no i should stop stepping on the accelerator until the train has been re-railed
    that's the Northern United States
    of course Mexicans would probably object to being told that they are not American

they will just have to deal, because we are speaking English, and Canadians would object to being told they were American
    Does a modern diesel-electric locomotive even have an accelerator pedal? Or are you putting your filthy shoes all over controls meant to be operated by hand?