man you know that thing where you're just sitting there thinking

edited 2013-12-04 01:12:30 in General
and then you're like

wow rock music is by and large a feeble and tepid artistic medium full of artists and bands who are reactionary douchebags that hate any genuinely dangerous music.

Comments

• this is especially true for punk
  • edited 2013-12-04 01:26:07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warped_Tour#Criticism_and_controversy

"You play music because there’s something inside of you that says you have to play music. Now you get bands like Fall Out Boy that are basically created in the studio. The Warped Tour changed it. Fuck it. I just don’t like that shit. All the guys in the bands remind me of the jocks I hated in high school. To me a punk gig is a small sweaty club with the audience right in your face knocking over the mic stand and boogying off the energy.

so telling

cry more pasty pop-punk nerdboy
  • edited 2013-12-04 01:29:45

Keith Morris has stated "These kids that are on the Warped Tour, they should have no choice but to go into the military, and go off to some desert somewhere and spend some time in the desert, rather than having some big, ultra mega record company giving them lots of money and paying for their hotels and buses, making sure their hair is trendy, and that they are wearing the proper clothes that all the kids like and wear, and all that fun shit."

1. nobody knows who you are, and nobody cares about your opinion

2. WTF man it's some 16 year old kids what is your problem

3. your nostalgia-tinted worldview reminds me first and foremost of the GOP
  •  Anti-disco punk songs began cropping up in 1977. As disco and punk grew, so did the number of anti-disco songs. It was a world-wide phenomenon, with bands in the US, UK, across Europe and Australia adding their two cents on the proliferation of Saturday Night Fever, the Bee Gees, flashing dance floors and mirrored balls. After a while, it became somewhat of a cliché. Punks wear safety pins, play loud, obnoxious music and hate disco. Heavy metal, country-western and good old fashioned rock 'n' roll bands all got into the act as well. Hating disco became almost as fashionable as disco itself.
              The fact that disco originally sprung from gay clubs provided red-blooded American men - punk or not - a specific scapegoat at which they could aim their criticism and let their homophobia hang out in all its glory. Gay bashing and racism reared its head often in the criticism of disco (by both punks and mainstream America). The above mentioned cartoon in Punk makes numerous "fag" jokes and the New Orleans fanzine Final Solution derides disco as music for "niggers" and "faggots." The virulent attacks on not just disco music, but its stereotyped culture came partially as a reaction to a decade of women's rights, civil rights and gay rights battles.
  • who is Keith Morris and what are you on about today
  • why did I think this was the trash heap
  • who is Keith Morris

i have no clue but he needs to have his thumbs removed so he can never play the guitar again
  • edited 2013-12-04 01:33:25

why did I think this was the trash heap

it happens
  • edited 2013-12-04 01:32:53

i did the google

Born and raised in Hermosa Beach, California, he formed Black Flag at the age of 21 with guitarist Greg Ginn and performed on the band's 1978 debut EP Nervous Breakdown.

so yeah basically nobody of any importance
  • edited 2013-12-04 01:33:34
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I have long since passed the threshold where I can muster myself to care about how mainstream or not my music choices are.

YKTKT

Mostly so you can know just how rad I am with my devil may care attitude.

*Rides Harley Davidson motorcycle off into the night*
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    You either die a rebel, or live long enough to see yourself become The Man.
  • edited 2013-12-04 01:35:01

I have long since passed the threshold where I can muster myself to care about how mainstream or not my music choices are.

everyone should pass this barrier before they hit 20
  • those who claim to be rebels are the man

they always were
  • the louder they claim it the more crypto-fascist they truly are.
  • didn't the sex pistols start as a joke in order to advertise some fetish shop in london
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

MetaFour said:

You either die a rebel, or live long enough to see yourself become The Man.

This is a good statement.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

• i did the google

Born and raised in Hermosa Beach, California, he formed Black Flag at the age of 21 with guitarist Greg Ginn and performed on the band's 1978 debut EP Nervous Breakdown.

oh man

on half a single Black Flag record

look out guys, we got a rock n' roll legend over here.
  • SEX was technically a boutique, though they did sell a fair amount of bondage gear

it was co-run by vivienne westwood
  • i did the google

oh man

well he did also co-found and actually stayed in the Circle Jerks, yet another band no adult human being listens to
  • or at least a band no adult human being SHOULD listen to
    At the KLF's "Fuck the Millennium" live reunion show, the host's introductory speech mentioned Jeremy Deller's thesis that Acid House was the first true working-class music movement in several decades. He claimed that punk rock in particular was more the domain of art students.
  • edited 2013-12-04 02:01:57

I wouldn't really have a problem with a movement started by art students, though it would be more accurate to say that punk was started by fashion designers and label execs.

categorizing house as a "working class" movement is odd, as the use of that term usually implies like "white people doing blue collar work", which is definitely not where acid house started

though i guess that is where it ended up at

electronic music is a diverse, beautiful and many headed beast
  • edited 2013-12-04 02:01:39
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
     Anti-disco punk songs began cropping up in 1977. As disco and punk grew, so did the number of anti-disco songs. It was a world-wide phenomenon, with bands in the US, UK, across Europe and Australia adding their two cents on the proliferation of Saturday Night Fever, the Bee Gees, flashing dance floors and mirrored balls. After a while, it became somewhat of a cliché. Punks wear safety pins, play loud, obnoxious music and hate disco. Heavy metal, country-western and good old fashioned rock 'n' roll bands all got into the act as well. Hating disco became almost as fashionable as disco itself.
              The fact that disco originally sprung from gay clubs provided red-blooded American men - punk or not - a specific scapegoat at which they could aim their criticism and let their homophobia hang out in all its glory. Gay bashing and racism reared its head often in the criticism of disco (by both punks and mainstream America). The above mentioned cartoon in Punk makes numerous "fag" jokes and the New Orleans fanzine Final Solution derides disco as music for "niggers" and "faggots." The virulent attacks on not just disco music, but its stereotyped culture came partially as a reaction to a decade of women's rights, civil rights and gay rights battles.
  • jello biafra will always be cool
  • also it is important to note that Rachael Cain,  the woman who co-founded and now fully owns Trax records (*who were a key player in the chicago house scene, responsible for many of the most important early house songs and first acid tracks, including Acid Trax*) was a vocalist in a punk band.
  • i did the google

oh man

well he did also co-found and actually stayed in the Circle Jerks, yet another band no adult human being listens to
    the only punk band I think I've ever listened to at length was The Minutemen, and by "at length" I mean I have heard Double Nickels on a Dime all the way through like, once.
    And The Clash, one of the big three of punk, dabbled in disco and funk on their later albums.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    tho the Clash never started out as a punk band

they kind of hopped on the bandwagon

they were also the best of the aforementioned big three
    i do

alas
    i am vulnerable to cyanide, arsenic, falling off bridges, and having my video game skills disparaged

ball's in your court