[OOC] Under Heaven, Underworld - Discussion and Sign-Ups

Comments

• Wait.

Explain to me how positive two is one more than negative three? :I

I'm not following.
  • edited 2013-12-10 02:18:51
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The Jiangshi has Great (+4) Fight. 

You have Fair (+2) Fight. You rolled 0.

I mentioned the Jiangshi's skill in Fight earlier, so I didn't see a need to repeat myself.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Tachyon: That sounds like a Know Advantage. Roll that.
  • edited 2013-12-10 02:37:35
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ok so i guess i wanna roll for Know

what kind of an action is that?

whoops, didn't see your post
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i got a minus, a plus and two zeroes, so +2 i think?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Yeah. The Jiangshi roll a +1, added to their Fight score of 4, so you they beat you by 3.

The Jiangshi receive one free invoke.
  • edited 2013-12-10 03:32:56
    what does that mean in this instance?

they attack next?

or does that mean that even if i roll better than them, they can still attack?
    Yeah, it means they attack next.

Mojave, Tachyon, Yarrun: Roll to defend, whenever you're ready.
    zero plus zero minus, neutral

my Fight score is +1
    You want to re-roll that?
  • edited 2013-12-10 03:45:06
    um

i rolled again and got + - - -

so that's -1 and i guess i lost a fate point?

do i have any other fate points?

do i even have hit points or am i just dead if they get me?
  • edited 2013-12-10 04:04:46
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Stress works slightly differently from hit points. 

You have two stress boxes, each of which can absorb a number of shifts equal to its sequence. The first stress box can take a one-shift hit, the second can take two, the third can three, etcetera. You have stress for your mind and stress for your body.

You can also take consequences, aspects which will keep you going but are wounds that others can take advantage of. You have one minor, one moderate, and one severe for both. 
    Minor consequences take 2 shifts of stress, can be treated with an appropriate skill roll of (+2), and last for the rest of the scene which they were treated. They are minor wounds, cuts, and not getting enough sleep.
    • Moderate take 4 stress, can be treated with a skill roll of (+4), and last for the rest of the session after it is treated. They are punctures, fractures, first-degree burns, and being scared to your bones.
    • Severe take 6 stress, can be treated with a skill roll of (+6), and last for the whole scenario. Breaking most of your arm is one example, or a severely traumatic experience.
    • Extreme take 8 stress, and cannot be treated at all. They are now a permanent part of your character, replacing one of your character aspects, changing who and what you are. These would be severed arms or a severe loss of faith.

By upgrading the skill Physique or Will, you can get more stress boxes and more minor consequence slots.
  • edited 2013-12-10 07:53:19
    The Jiangshi rolls -3, with +4 Fight. You beat it by 3.

You gain a free invoke.
    The Jiangshi rolls 2, added to their four, to your 2. They beat you by four.

You suffer four stress. You can take some consequences to keep going, or be taken out. Being taken out means that you're rendered unable to act, either unconscious or dazed. But it doesn't mean you're dead; you only die when you say your character dies.
  • What even are "consequences".

It seems very vague and I have no real interest in permanently malusing my character.
  • edited 2013-12-10 18:57:50
    I just explained it.

You take consequences to keep going, which puts more aspects on you that make you vulnerable, instead of being taken out.

Some consequences are nothing more than headaches, and those absorb the least amount of damage, but also go away the quickest. On the other side of the spectrum, the consequences that take the absolute most damage are also really severely bad things, which are things like severed limbs or deep-seated traumas, and those become permanent aspects that will never go away.

And since we're going to montage for the next ten or so years, any consequences you can feasibly suffer now will be gone by the time you finish revamping your character.
    It's my favorite system right now.
  • I find it confusing but I find literally every tabletop system confusing.

what would you recommend I do, DM.
    When in doubt, create an Advantage.

It helps your teammates too.
  • I can do that?

I thought I had to come up with either a consequence or get knocked out before I could do anything else.
    Oh damn, I got my wires crossed.

If you get knocked out the scene will be over quicker. If you want to keep going, take a consequence.
  • OK.

well, what do my fellow players want? I'd be fine with ending the scene since I want to get to something a bit more engaging.
    what they said

(i'm slightly confused)
    Which part is confusing?
  • I have opted to vaguepost, so that the DM may fill in the specifics of what happened exactly.
    I'll take it as you being taken out.

Which part is confusing?

well, for one, are the Jiangshi attacking us in sequence? i'm not sure what the rolls i did earlier were for.
    I'm treating all the Jiangshi as one entity, with three actions a turn. Since they're mindless, all they do is attack.

I forgot to resolve Tachyon's action waaaaaaaay earlier, which was stupid of me. You want me to just rule that you were taken out too?
    Yeah, i guess so.
  • Ah. Well.

I was originally going to have Zhi invoke either his High Aspect or the Gap Aspect to try and rescue Qieting, but I'm not sure what to do now that two people are KO'd. Zhi's strong, but not strong enough to carry two people at once.
    The Jiangshi rolls 0. That's 4 to their 4. You can succeed, if you pay a minor cost. One stress?
    I've got a few things to do, so it'll be awhile until the next post. Like, maybe in twenty-four hours. I'm not sure.
    Okay so now we're done playing as juveniles. And now is the process of revamping the characters.

First, we're still playing a Solitaire game, right?
    i'd be happy with that.

What does the revamping involve?
  • edited 2013-12-13 07:10:42
    The first step in the revamping process is trying to figure out what kind of hero you want to play.
    • Artisans possess powerful martial arts techniques, which we call Wushu. They can allow you to shoot quickly, have some control over ice, and punch people really hard. Artisans can also be sorcerers, and develop their fighting arts as a means of self-expression.
    • Sorcerers have devoted themselves to learn sorcery, which is a long and arduous process but with many potent benefits. Sorcerers do not throw fireballs or shoot magic missiles; sorcerers perform lengthy rituals to influence the spirits that surround everything. Like Artisans, they practice sorcery also as a means of self-expression.
    • Vessels are hosts and mounts for gods and spirits, able to speak to them and borrow some of their divine personal powers and unique skills. Unfortunately while in their Vessel Forms, they also take upon themselves their riders' weaknesses, and are in general at the mercy of those who inhabit them.
    • Brood are the children of gods, and inherit a shadow of their powers. As half-mortals, they have the ability to think for themselves and act against their nature. Being half-divine, they have access to a limited array of their progenitors' abilities.
    • Mortals are just normal people with a lot of luck, potential, and tricks.
  • edited 2013-12-13 07:03:08
    So here you have the chance to change any High Concept and Trouble that you want; you're adults now.

Next, it's best to think about how you found out about the Underworld, and who told you. Who looked at you and saw that you were cut out for this life? This could also lead to or be part of your Phase One.

Phase One: Your First Adventure. This sort of thing is like the first book, episode, or case where your character is introduced. Think about what kind of adventure it was, the basic details, and come up with an aspect.
    A few questions you can consider:
    • Something bad happened. What was it? Did it happen to you, to someone you cared about, or to someone that you were coerced into helping?
    • What did you decide to do about the problem? What goal did you pursue?
    • Who stood against you? Did you expect the opposition you got? Did some of it come out of nowhere?
    • Did you win? Did you lose? Either way, what consequences arose from the outcome?
    • Your skills: What did you learn? How did you learn it? Who taught you? How do you use your skills to get ahead in the Underworld?

Phase Two: Crossed Paths. In the next two phases, you begin establishing the important events that drive you to work with each other.

I'll allocate the placements.
    • Mojave, Zhi plays a supporting role in your first adventure. You and Yarrun figure out how.
    • Yarrun, Hao Qieting plays a supporting role in your first adventure. Discuss with Tachyon.
    • Tachyon, your co-star is Akemi. Talk to Mojave.

There are three possible ways a supporting PC can feature in your adventure.
    1. They complicate things. Because of them, the victory was uncertain, you did not succeed and just survived, you learned things you did not mean to, and many other examples.
    2. They solve a situation. Because of them, the problem was much easier, they give you information, they fight by your side, etcetera.
    3. They do both, solving one situation but creating another complication, or vice-versa.

Phase Three: Crossed Paths - Electric Bougaloo. Trade your adventures (solo or otherwise) again, making sure you co-star with someone else this time. Alternatively, both of you come up with a new adventure which all of you feature in, all take the same aspect, but come up with your own sides of the story. Again, just a few sentences about what went down are fine.
  • edited 2013-12-13 07:24:57
    Skills. You now have quite a few skills. Take two skills at Great (+4), three at Good (+3), four at Fair (+2), and five at Average (+1). You should have a total of fourteen skills, and should look something like this.
    • Great (+4): OO 
    • Good (+3): OOO 
    • Average (+2): OOOO 
    • Fair (+1): OOOOO 

The following is a short description on what each skill does. 

• Art: Covers overall artistic ability and a capacity to be accepted by modern audiences. May also be used to manipulate Reputation. 
    • Athletics: Running, jumping, flipping, dodging, and other acrobatic tricks. 
    • Burglary: Understanding and operating the methods and tools used to steal. 
    • Contacts: Knowing lots of people, the right people, and getting them to talk to you. 
    • Craft: Operating and making mortal items, like cars or swords or electronics. 
    • Deceive: Lying and misdirection. 
    • Discipline: Mental stability, restraint, and self-mastery. 
    • Drive: Ability to operate vehicles and mounts. 
    • Empathy: Noticing emotions and the moods of others, reading people. 
    • Fists: Harming other people with your body. 
    • Investigate: Search for information given clues, counter-skill to Burglary. 
    • Lore: Knowledge of the occult, regarding spirits, Corpses, gods, and basic sorcery. 
    • Medicine: Knowledge and expertise regarding medical and healing matters. 
    • Notice: Ability to detect and perceive danger or spot far-off things. 
    • Physique: Having a big, tough body. The more you put into this skill, the more Phyiscal stress boxes and consequences you have. 
    • Politics: Allows you to manipulate and divine a person's Reputation.
      Provoke: Ability to stimulate emotional responses out of people, be it rage, fear, disgust, guilt, shame, or lust. 
    • Rapport: Encouraging positive emotions and connections, helping trust. 
    • Reason: Theoretical and academic knowledge of the sciences. 
    • Resources: Being able to buy things. Does not automatically mean mean you're rich, just that you have good liquid currency and maybe know how to get good deals. Being rich is a social condition, having good Resources isn't. 
    • Shoot: Harming people with ranged attacks. 
    • Stealth: Being able to move around unseen and hide. 
    • Survive: The ability to thrive in hostile environments, from deserts to unfriendly cities. 
    • Weapons: Harming people with close-ranged weapons. 
    • Will: Strength of mind and courage. The more you put into this skill, the more Mental stress boxes and consequences you have. 

When you're done with all that, we can talk about stunts and kung-fu, maybe some divine powers if you want.
  • Idea: How about we all go after one of the guys who rescued us for our first adventures?
    i like this idea
    The order of the phases doesn't really matter. What matters is that in the phase, you have a reason to stick together.

Also, what do you intend to do? How do you try and find them? Etcetera.
    if one of us has a lead on one of these people we want to find, assuming all three of us are interested in finding them, it would make sense for us to work together, wouldn't it?
  • Well, since I'm the only one who actually saw them, I guess I'd tell the other two about what happened.

We'd ask around the area to see if anyone can give us more information. Mystical or not, it's unlikely that nobody saw them while they were there. From our investigation, eventually piece together a good description of their appearance, maybe even a couple of names that were overheard or some distinctive features. Using that information, we'd can extend our search and get some information about where they went.

Since Zhi has no authority figures to report to, he'd probably take off without a moment's notice. Not sure about the other two.