A Very Central Avenue Thanksgiving

edited 2013-11-22 20:47:43 in General
HH's very own Thanksgiving special. Only on ABC!

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Don't forget your BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPING

nose-hair trimmers 50% off
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    you know i think i've read more references to Black Friday this year than i have to Thanksgiving

it's unsettling
    :o

also i got a diary this year which marks notable festivals, and Thanksgiving wasn't on there

there's no particular reason it should have been, since i bought it in Wales, but i'd have expected it to be there, and it wasn't
    yeah
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

you know i think i've read more references to Black Friday this year than i have to Thanksgiving

it's unsettling

Me too. It's annoying. >:(
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Fret not, for Thanksgiving is alive and well in the Avenue family

Mother and I bought food for the big extended-family gathering

We're all set for Thursday!
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Thanksgiving?

Tachyon said:

it's unsettling

Me too. It's annoying. >:(
    that's... rather worse, seeing as you actually live somewhere that celebrates it :/
  • Canadian Thanksgiving.
    Tachyon said:

that's... rather worse, seeing as you actually live somewhere that celebrates it :/

Well, okay, it's kinda like this...people seem to actually be focusing on Thanksgiving, but everything I see on the news or in advertising is instead pushing the whole Black Friday thing.
    soulless profit-driven machines
  • people prefer not to talk about thanksgiving because it is unpleasant.
    Thanksgiving is when the white settlers had a nice little dinner with the Native Americans before slaughtering them and taking their land
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Pillows said:

Thanksgiving is when the white settlers had a nice little dinner with the Native Americans before slaughtering them and taking their land

And that's why James Cameron is no longer allowed to write and direct his his local elementary school's plays anymore.

Which kinda begs the question of why anyone let him do it in the first place, he doesn't even have kids...
  • edited 2013-11-23 20:06:36
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Pillows said:

And that's why James Cameron is no longer allowed to write and direct his his local elementary school's plays anymore.

Which kinda begs the question of why anyone let him do it in the first place, he doesn't even have kids...
    He actually does! "He married Amis in 2000, and they have one son and two daughters." (Also had a kid with his... fourth? wife.)

(Yes I know you were joking but accuracy is important in these things dagnamit!)

Actully, I looked up his Wikipedia page and saw no mention of kids, so I tacked on that last sentence, otherwise I would have included the mention of kids and wrote it differently. :P 

I'm amazingly obsessive when it comes to accuracy, be it my fan-fic writing or even these one off jokes.
  • Pillows said:

To be fair, It's not like Holidays nowadays are about anything our sociopathic ancestors did.

Sure, the story of the holiday is dark and messed up when you read about it. But it's not like that kind of thing came forward to anyone celebrating today.
    I was making a funny that wasn't all that funny
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Thanksgiving seems to have been subsumed into Christmastime, at least here in the States.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It's kind of bizarre to me how quickly Black Friday became a de facto holiday in this country; it was less than a decade ago that I'd even first heard the term (I believe I first heard it in 2006)...
  • edited 2013-11-23 22:50:13
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The news media have long described the day after Thanksgiving as the busiest shopping day of the year.[4]
    In earlier years, this was not actually the case. In the period from
    1993 through 2001, for example, Black Friday ranked from fifth to tenth
    on the list of busiest shopping days, with the last Saturday before
    Christmas usually taking first place.[3]
    In 2003, however, Black Friday actually was the busiest shopping day of
    the year, and it has retained that position every year since, with the
    exception of 2004, when it ranked second (after Saturday, December 18).[2]
    You know, every year there's some cable channel airing Home Alone on Thanksgiving

And every year my dad and uncle sit around and watch it as if we haven't all seen it a million times

Traditions are weird
    I haven't seen it all the way through
    Whoa, that surprises me for some reason

I thought it was a '90s kid staple
    i haven't seen it either

I like catching It's a Wonderful Life.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Saving more money time.
    I have seen Home Alone but not in, like, 20 years

I remember being surprised at how successful it was
    I make a point to watch it every year because I am a big dork who likes holiday rituals for the sake of rituals >_>
  • I've seen a good part of one of the homes alone
  • edited 2013-11-25 09:46:46
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    A Very Central Avenue Thanksgiving will return after these messages.

Hi there, I'm wWaiterman

No, that's wrong

Oh! I'm Chef.

And I"m Wiaterman!
    Are you tired of cooking at home?
    Are you looking for somewhere to go out and eat on Thanksgiving becaues you're lazy?

I recommend Bob Evans!

Chef, no

Oh, right!
    I recommend the Five Singers Restaurant!

Chef and I weill be here all day thanksgiving day!

Because we lead lonelylives!

And maybe I'll even  be able to get Chef to cook some food for you if you pay us!

So remember that name, five Singers Restuarant

We're located at 1123 Superior Avenue, Lakeoood, Ohio
    So come and eat food we're serving!

Yeah, what he said!
    And don't forget to heck  out Chef and Waiterman's Kentucky Christmas , in theaters this December!

And now back to A Very Central Avenue Thanksgiving

Only on ABC!
    Funny, I chose Bob Evans knowing full well that most people wouldn't get the reference

You probably did, though, since you used to live in Ohio
  • isn't Bob Evans a restaurant
    Yeah
    Fun fact: one time AU and I ate at Bob Evans at the same time...in different states
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I actually went to the Bob Evans Farm out along US 35 once when I was a kid. Also, there's several of the restaurants within easy driving distance of my house.
    I've been to Bob Evans a few times. My parents like it.

I think it's ok

this has been an update
    That was also the only time I remember ever going to Bob Evans
  • I have never been to Bob Evans restaurants.

However, I know Bob Evans.