photography in dreams

edited 2013-11-09 01:19:54 in General
A rather strange pattern I've noticed: In dreams, I'm literally never able to take a photograph.

I'll see an interesting traffic sign, but oops, I left my only camera at home. I'll find an unusual police car, but whoops, I don't have time to stand around taking pictures now, guess I'll come back later.

One of the weirder examples happened tonight. I wanted a picture of a railroad crossing with some old-fashioned signals, so I pulled out my smartphone and was about to get the camera app ready...but I couldn't. I suddenly thought what if this is a dream? and I was worried that trying to photograph the dream would make me wake up...so I put the phone away and went about my business. It was strange.

Just once I want to find out what happens if I take a picture in a dream.

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Maybe in the next dream you can look at your photo. :) Or maybe it would be a "reality check" type thing and make you become lucid? :o
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    photography

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't know if this is related but i've found in dreams i normally can't read off computer screens or comprehend equations, and that books often repeat themselves or become incomprehensible or otherwise unreadable part way through
  • Tachyon said:

i don't know if this is related but i've found in dreams i normally can't read off computer screens or comprehend equations, and that books often repeat themselves or become incomprehensible or otherwise unreadable part way through

That's a general thing with dreams and stuff.

Good to know if a villain tries to put you into a lotus trap
  • I can't recall ever reading in my dreams extensively.

Of course, my dreams tend to leave my mind a few minutes after I wake up. So that's not shocking.
  • I don't take that many photos in real life, but I was dreaming earlier about taking photos of raccoons.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Am I the only one who has tastes and smells in dreams?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Aliroz said:

Am I the only one who has tastes and smells in dreams?

No. I have done that. I have also felt things. The sensations are much less palpable, though, like I am only partway there, which I essentially am, and it does not happen very often.
  • edited 2013-11-10 16:34:31
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    It's uncommon enough that it's weird to me, but i find that sensations of smell, taste, touch and pain can be very powerful in dreams.
    Yes.

I have never had a nightmare associated with those things, at least not to any frightening degree, but some of my most emotionally intense or distressing dreams have involved me touching things.

Like hugging my late uncle a few months after he died, yet knowing that it was a dream (and he knew it, too) and then being so incredibly sad and angry...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm sorry.

Those kinds of dreams are the worst.  Even if the dreams themselves aren't sad, the waking up is the hardest part.
    Yes.

._.

I have donned the black mantle...
  • You could probably take photos in a lucid dream

But those don't really exist so whatever