Exactly how philosophy class is

edited 2013-10-24 16:07:15 in General

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm not sure what I like least, the obvious Godbotting [1], or the horrible Straw Atheist philosophy professor who's obviously going to be converted by the end of the picture. :P

And what are Kevin Sorbo and Dean Cain doing in this movie?

[1] Is it just me, or are almost all filmed religious tracts shot the same way? I've seen several LDS films that use the exact same "bright and sunny everything" cinematography.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    "Josh Wheaton"?

Also, Kevin Sorbo's in this because the Renaissance Pictures Adventure Show genre is dead
  • edited 2013-10-26 14:05:09
    This college professor seems like a strawman.

Also, bright and sunny visuals are an implication of positivity.  This is like, basic filmography technique there.
  • edited 2013-10-26 14:05:34
    Come to think of it, I'd like to see someone invert that.  With no fantasy elements.  No vampires or werewolves or anything.  Just, a modern realism story where light is the undesirable result.

Maybe a movie called Hours Until Dawn, about a college student fighting himself/herself to get an crucial assignment done that night and get some sleep before the next day of classes.
  • We start the day before.  It's noon, the student is working on a paper, which is due at 5.  He looks relatively at ease to his peers, including a classmate whom he doesn't know well.  But internally he's tearing his metaphorical hair out because it's due in five hours and he still doesn't know what to do with it.  He's been struggling to decide on the focus of the paper, and doesn't yet have nearly enough sources.

Time passes.  Through a combination of trying, mostly futilely, to somehow make progress on the paper, and also wasting time on social sites and gaming, it's 4:40 PM.  He suddenly gets a burst of energy and gets...a few more sources found.

Then 5 PM comes and goes.  There is an odd contrast.  The world keeps turning and still exists; nothing seems like it's changed.  On the other hand, the student now feels a strangely dull sense of dread -- his grade is now at his professor's mercy.  He doesn't have a paper written, so he can't even turn in half a paper...at best he has an outline, or two contrasting ones.  He can write quickly, but this isn't just a post on the internet; this is a paper where he actually needs to back up his points with references and rigorous reasoning.  He can't just go in guns blazing with just his opinion.

It's 6 PM.  The student's stomach grumbles.  He could go get some food.  But that would mean leaving his laptop and large pile of papers by themselves in the library.  And more importantly, it's already an hour past when the paper was due.  Feeling desperate, he tries to soldier on.  But with a lack of direction, he makes at best limited progress.  Over half of the next few hours are wasted in distractions.

And so on.  I haven't yet decided if he finishes by dawn.  But you get the idea.  It's someone fighting time.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    lee4hmz said:

Is it just me, or are almost all filmed religious tracts shot the same way? I've seen several LDS films that use the exact same "bright and sunny everything" cinematography.

Ugh, don't remind me of LDS films.

-throws up-

Filmed religious tracts are the worst.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    yes well

this is still my favorite Uplifting Christian MovieTM trailer

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-26 19:23:18
    "Come to think of it, I'd like to see someone invert that.  With no fantasy elements.  No vampires or werewolves or anything.  Just, a modern realism story where light is the undesirable result."

Tie daytime to soul-crushing work grind, bureaucratic harassment, and getting fucked with by corrupt institutions.  Film in such a way that light washes out a lot and becomes harsh and overbearing.  Tie nighttime to bonding and humanizing moments, where darkness reflects calm and basic human intimacy.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^ :)

^^ I dunno what that was all about but I found it really funny. ^_^;

op: I am kind of in disbelief that that is actually a thing and not satire... when I started watching the trailer I thought it was a satire. :o
  • I just wanted to dance and hang out, Dad!
  • I really hate all the victimization that goes on in these kinds of things.

Look redneck duck guy, no one's offended by you praying. Sorry, it's not ever that simple.
  • lots of more conservative christian types seem to have really huge persecution complexes.
  • kill living beings
    the man, man
  • lots of more conservative christian types seem to have really huge persecution complexes.

It's frustrating because people with heads that far up their own backside are completely impossible to argue with.
  • edited 2013-10-26 23:29:16
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

lots of more conservative christian types seem to have really huge persecution complexes.

How ironic.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    everybody persecutes everybody

I just wanted to dance and hang out
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I will make a completely random guess that there are no LGBT characters in this movie.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    unless the movie devotes at least 10 minutes to frustrated undergraduate attempts to get around Descartes' demon argument with reference to other minds, i refuse to believe it is an accurate representation of philosophy class

"Josh Wheaton"?

Also, Kevin Sorbo's in this because the Renaissance Pictures Adventure Show genre is dead
    yeah, i did a double take when they said that name, too