What can a Planeswalker do?

edited 2013-10-15 23:49:00 in General

In the setting of Magic: The Gathering, just what can a Planeswalker do? According to wizards.com

"In Magic: The Gathering, a Planeswalker is a powerful mage who is able to travel across the planes of existence. There are infinite worlds across the Multiverse, and Planeswalkers are unique in their ability to move from one world to the next..."

So like, could they travel to Greyhawk? Or is there some force that limits their movement to universes created for the card game?

Comments

• IIRC planeswalkers used to be godlike deities before the equivalent of conversion to 4E happened to them.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Supposedly the players themselves are Planeswalkers, and at some point I think there was an event that limited their power on how easily they could travel.

Though, I don't know more than that off the top of my head. 
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Acererak said:

IIRC planeswalkers used to be godlike deities before the equivalent of conversion to 4E happened to them.

That would make a lot more sense than "One in every million sentient beings has a Planeswalker spark. What causes it? Shut up. Also they're more powerful than gods."

Since planeswalking is a magical ability, I understand why it would be impossible for them to travel to, say, the universe of Transformers. And even though magic exists there, you'd never see one planeswalk to the Marvel or DC universe due to licensing issues. But what would stop them from travelling to D&D worlds...or Equestria?

• Hehe, I can easily imagine Celestia as a planeswalker. I mean, her cutie mark pretty much exactly matches the white mana symbol, she is a god-like being, her powers have some connection with the realm she rules over, and Equestria clearly generates a lot of white
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    There's a fanfic, The Elementals of Harmony, where Derpy is a Planeswalker. Those are universes on her cutie mark, not bubbles.

Story's interesting, but not recommended if you're averse to fandom memes.

• So like, could they travel to Greyhawk? Or is there some force that limits their movement to universes created for the card game?

The universe's multiverse doesn't necessarily contain that of other works of fiction.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Yeah, it's like clusters. Can't necessarily get from one cluster to another.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Planeswalkers make This Troper videos, duh.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Bastards!
  • You know that famous quote "There's something on the wing of the plane"

That's what Planeswalkers do, they scare people on airplanes.
  • I can't actually see Celestia as a planeswalker. Planeswalkers are never really...comfortable in society. They're usually in some sort of trouble that inevitably leads to their spark activating. Celestia's life as a princess, even a guardian princess, is too comfortable.

That is, unless her spark activated before she came to Equestria.
  • Can a planeswalker threaten the full faith and credit of the U.S. government?