[RP] (D&D 5E) - Ya'll Meet In A Saloon

edited 2013-10-22 23:17:20 in Roleplay & Games
Masterpost

The Rules
Normal description is made without any formatting at all, save for italics for emphasis.

"Speech is written as above, save with quotation marks."

[Out-of-character interaction, like dice-rolling and questions will be formatted with italics and boxes.]

Internal thoughts are written entirely in italics.

Inhuman, demonic, arcane, or otherwise powerful speech is written with both bold and italics.
  1. If you feel something is unfair, speak up.
  2. I will trust you to be honest regarding how the dice come up.
  3. Additionally, I reserve the right to lie about the outcome of said dice or otherwise ignore a bad roll when I feel it is needed.
  4. I will also promise not to twist a good roll when it comes up.
  5. Don't attack other players, within the universe or outside of it.
  6. Everybody needs to post once a day. And if anyone wants out, they have to let me know.
  7. Have fun.

Comments

• edited 2013-10-12 20:25:19
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Gravestone. A town of silver and violence. Down its dusty streets you tread, plains dust mixed with silver dust. The miners return from a long day's work, sullen and tired. The herdsmen turn in for the night, laughing without end. Outlaws hide, some openly daring the law to come for them, some fearful and skittish. 

And all of them find comfort in the roll of the dice, the fate of the cards, the thrill of the fight, or in the arms of pleasurable company.

You walk into the Lion Saloon, a rather quiet and clean place. You cast your eyes amongst its patrons, before spotting the one you're looking for. Your contact. The man who has called you all together.

Isaiah Merlynd. The blackguard paladin. Doc Perdition.
  • Zankas swaggers to the table, squeezing beer out of his beard. He looks somewhat bedraggled, covered in beer and bits of broken glass. Despite that, he looks fairly refreshed.

He sits down, smiling and chuckling to himself.
  • Ludmila shuffled in unassumingly, although it was hard not to stand out when one was wearing a witch's hat and flowing robes in a bar. Walking unassumingly over to the table where the Dwarf and Paladin had already gathered, she sat down quietly, and pulled a mahogany pipe with some runes scratched on the side from somewhere within her robes. Flicking her hand, she produced a small green flame, and lit the pipe, inhaling, and exhaling a heavy, dark grey puff of scented smoke.

She nodded. "Gentlemen."
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    "Ma'am," nodded Isaiah back.

"We wait for one more. A drink whilst we wait, folks?"
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Isaiah raised his hand, beckoning the server to place ale on their table.

"Start a tab, will ya?" said Isaiah, placing a silver coin in his hand.
  • "No drinks for me, Doc. I think I've already reached my limit for the day."

Zankas shook his head, shaking out more bits of glass. He raised an eyebrow in bemusement.

"Damn, I thought I already got out all the glass."
  • Ludmila sipped, and took another puff of her pipe.

"I've certainly had stronger."
  • "In my experience, a bar can only have one good thing about it. Good beer, good dice, good looks or good reputation. I'm guessing this place is banking on the latter."

He glances between the robed girl and Doc Perdition, trying to get a feel for them. All the while, he picks at his beard with his left hand, looking for more bits of glass.

[I roll for Insight, I guess.]
  • edited 2013-10-14 01:00:36
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    [Wisdom contest, then. Roll 20, add your Wisdom modifier, and add your proficiency bonus because you have Insight.]

[Mo, roll 20, add your Charisma modifier. You haven't picked your Warlock skill yet, but if you do so now and pick Deception you can add your proficiency bonus.]
    [Mo rolls 24. Yarrun rolls 7. I roll 11. You fail this contest.]

Their faces betray nothing they don't want to show. You learn nothing of their true intentions.
  • The general lack of a reaction from his companions slightly unsettles Zankas. He casually starts observing the rest of the bar, still picking glass out of his hair.
    Isaiah notices what Zankas is doing, and takes out a stack of handbills from his coat pocket.

"That there dwarf gentleman right there with an elf lady and a halfling man on either sides of his arms is Poram Dorn Sandmine of the Sandmine Gang. Wanted for murder for thirteen counts, five counts of stagecoach robbery, three counts of assault, and one count of contempt in court."

"The human lady up there makin' all the noise is Smitta Candy, also of the Sandmine Gang. Wanted for twenty counts of murder, three counts of stagecoach robbery, one count of public urination, and thirty-two counts of defacing public property."

"Finally, that lizardman up there is Zax Zor-Vim, also of the Sandmine Gang. Wanted for two counts of murder, fifty-five counts of attempted murder, one assault with a bucket of syringes, and one hundred violations of health regarding food preparation."

"Sandmine and Candy are wanted dead-or-alive, but Zax is wanted alive only. And there's three of us here and three of them there. What say we make some money while we wait?"
  • "I say I'm not much into money, but practice is practice." Ludmila shuffles around, and unseen jewelry clinks and clanks loudly beneath her robes, she folds her hands, revealing that her fingers each have a ring on them, and some have more than one. "I am in if you are, Sir Dwarf."
  • Zankas narrowed his eyes as he looked between the handbills and Ludmila. 

"Sandmine is fair game as far as I'm concerned. No connections with the big three or the local guild, as far as I know." He glares at Isaiah, eyes still narrowed. "But this had better not be a regular thing. Bounty hunters aren't welcome in my line of work. Clients get nervous around them. Bad for business. My business, specifically." 

"...But again, Sandmine's not a client or a friend, so if you two want to tangle with the local rabble, I'm game...Sir and Lady Human."
  • Zankas focuses on the lizardman.

"If you don't want Scales to get in the way, I can probably lead him off somewhere first and knock him out. Have any info on him that I can use?"
    "I'm sorry it's bad for your business, but it's my business. In fact, this is all I do. Zax is sharp. Very sharp. As part reptile, he's got that bit of snake that notices vibrations, and he's plenty paranoid. Watch out: He's a poisoner too, and has got plenty of hidden secrets in that robe of his."
  • "Poison doesn't scare me. Nor do lizardmen."
  • Zankas glares at Doc.

"Very well. I promised I'd hear you out, and I'll stay until you do. But if this mystery business you're sending us on puts me against one of the Big Three or a Guild, I'm out. Now, you and Lady Human stay sharp and pick your targets. I think I know how to take care of Zax. When hell breaks loose, let 'em have it."

Zankas gets up and walks towards Zax, a smile on his face and a bit of menace in his eyes.
  • Ludmila muttered so far under her breath that even she had trouble hearing herself "this rougish dwarf will get us killed".
    "Pick your quarry, ma'am." says Isaiah. "It don't matter much to me which one."

[Yarrun: Roll a 20, add your Dexterity bonus, and your proficiency bonus because you have Stealth.]
  • edited 2013-10-15 09:53:26
    [Yarrun rolls a 14 for Intimidation. Zax rolls a 19 for insight.]

Zax's eyes narrow as he sees Zankas saunter up. Then they flare wide open. Zax bolts away, shouting; "Bounty hunters!"

You hear a shot fired in the other room, and tables being flipped. The outlaws are trying to get out of the building.

[All players: Roll a d20 and add your Dexterity modifier to think fast and stop them from exiting the saloon. Also, specify which one you want to bar.]
  • Ludmila sighs and rises from her seat, unseen jewelry clanking together.

[17, she'll try to stop Smitta]
    [Smitta rolls a 4.]

Just as the door opens, you impulsively tackle her to the ground. Smitta is a tall, large, and curvy woman. You know this because she's naked except for her hat and boots. She has a dragon pistol in one hand and a knife in the other.

[Make a Strength check (d20 + modifier) to keep her locked down and prevent her from attacking you.]
  • "Dammit, get back here! I'm trying to cut a deal!" 

Zankas starts to runs after Zax before stopping. Muttering a curse under his breath, he turns towards the other two outlaws.
  • edited 2013-10-15 19:52:53
    "Go eat your mother!" Zax shouts back, continuing to run.
  • "Well, how rude," Zankas muttered to himself, looking over his shoulder. "No wonder he's just wanted alive. Dead or alive is for dangerous people. Alive is just for annoyances and assholes."

Again, he turns towards the other two outlaws.
    [Sandmine rolls 15. Isaiah rolls 18.]

Sandmine charges through the saloon, brandishing his weapons. Seeing the door, he charges through the crowd to get out. Unfortunately, Isaiah was already there, leaning. Isaiah sticks his foot out ever-so-slightly, causing Sandmine to trip, smashing his face through the swing doors and into the dirt.
  • Looking between the Sandmine and Smitta, Zankas runs towards the two struggling ladies, dagger at the ready.
  • edited 2013-10-15 20:55:21
    You bury your knife straight into her heart, warm blood bursting out like a geyser. Smitta screams, but then slowly falls silent.

[You gain 120 XP]
  • Zankas keeps the knife in until Smitta stops screaming. He then wipes off the blade on her hat. 

"Well, this place's reputation is shot, there's no good beer and I think I just killed their best whore. Let's hope they have good dice." He then, half-reluctantly, half-sheepishly, extends a hand to Ludmila. "Sorry about that, Lady Human."
  • Ludmila wipes a fleck of blood off of her face. "I am unhurt." And grabs his hand.
    "Is that Smitta kicking it?" shouts Isaiah. "Make sure you bring her body down or we won't get no bounty!"
  • "Frigging bounty-hunters. At least assassins only have to bring back a hand." Zankas pulls Ludmila up and slings Smitta over his shoulder.

"Don't mind me carrying this, do you?" he said, picking up Smitta's weapons. "Dragon pistols are good trades, and I could always use another dagger."
  • "I have little use for firearms. I suppose I underestimated the woman, my skills have not yet been put on display. So yes, you may have it as far as I am concerned."

Ludmila took out her pipe and lit it with a snap of her finger "I believe that's the same company that makes my pipe, funnily enough."
  • "Funny, huh? Odd, didn't think you knew the word." Zankas stuffed the blade in his belt and the pistol in his pack. "Now, let's see if we can turn a profit from this corpse. I mean, in a way that isn't disgusting and reprehensible on several different levels." Zankas strode towards the entrance, lugging the corpse as if it was no heavier than a sack of feathers.
  • Ludmila followed behind. "Indeed. I don't speak the language but I'd recognize that particular symbol anywhere." Ludmila puffed her pipe, letting a hazy smoke cloud fill the bar's air.
  • edited 2013-10-15 23:12:33
    "What took you so long?" said Isaiah his arms up. You see Sandmine standing, one hand stemming his bleeding nose, the other a dragon pistol pointed in your direction. Beside him is Zax, glaring at Zankas. 

Up on the roof are three snipers aiming at you, and each street surrounding the saloon has at least one mounted bandit, all armed with pistols and sabers.
  • edited 2013-10-16 08:50:26
    "Kill 'em!" shouts Sandmine.

A sniper squeezes her trigger, hitting Zankas square in the chest, and drawing blood. The bullet burns your flesh.

Sandmine fires upon Ludmilla, the lead ball piercing the padded robes. You can feel your own warm blood streaming down your leg.

Zax ducks down, smearing a dried berry on his trident.

Two of the riders spur their horses forward, sabers at the ready.

Another sniper fires upon Isaiah. The bullet slashes across his face, blood streaming down.

[The sniper rolls a 17, bypassing Zankas' armor, inflicting 12 damage. Sandmine fires on Ludmilla, inflicting 9 damage. Zax prepares poison. The riders move forward. The sniper rolls 16, bypassing Isaiah's armor, inflicting 10 damage.]
  • edited 2013-10-16 09:15:53

I throw a dagger at Sandmine's face and use my second action to hide behind something. 

The dagger goes straight through Sandmine's face, embeds itself into the next building, and leaves naught in his head but a hole and a trail of blood, bone, and grey matter.
  • edited 2013-10-16 09:19:44
    Isaiah ducks back into the saloon, taking himself out of the eye of fire. Putting his fingers to his lips, he whistles a shrill summon. 

The saloon shakes, and from the back wall bursts wood splinters and a metaphorical and literal nightmare. It resembles a cross between a mantis and a grasshopper, and is the size of a horse. Its chitin is silver and reflective, its globular eyes yellow and blazing. From its mandibles breathes black fire, on its head is a fibrous fringe, and in its curved fore-limbs is a rifle.

"Shackleton!" Isaiah cries. And the steed throws him the rifle, a black-wooded and fire-runed affair.
  • edited 2013-10-16 22:53:51
    "No, no, no, no!" shouts a booming voice. "A little dagger like that? Punching straight through? Something must have gone wrong with accounting somewhere." All time stops at a single moment, like a painting. Individuals frozen mid-act.

The light bends and reflects, creating a somewhat humanoid form. A ball of fire descends, before bursting into the shape of a winged eagle-headed humanoid.

"Apologies, sir." says the light. "I miscalculated." 

"Well, good thing I caught it." says the flame. "Otherwise we'd all be in some serious trouble upstairs. C'mon, let's fix it."

"Thank you, sir." replies the light.

Time rewinds...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Kill 'em!" shouts Sandmine.

A sniper squeezes her trigger, hitting Zankas square in the chest, drawing blood.

Sandmine fires upon Ludmilla, the lead ball piercing the padded robes. 

Zax ducks down, smearing a dried berry on his trident.

All three of the riders spur their horses forward, sabers at the ready.

Another sniper fires upon Isaiah. The bullet slashes across his face, blood streaming down.

Zankas throws a dagger at Sandmine, which lodges in his shoulder. Zankas ducks down.

Isaiah calls for Shackleton. Shackleton throws him his rifle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "There, all better. Now, let's try not to do THAT again."

"Yes, sir."
  • Ludmila winced as the bullet connected with her flesh, and her eyes momentarily filled with green fire as she extended a hand and made an arcane gesture in the general direction of the sniper who'd fired upon her. A blast of crackling black lightning sprung from her hand, toward the gunman.

[Eldritch Blast, attack roll: 19]

[damage roll: 17]
  • edited 2013-10-18 03:33:52
    The blast of green flame seperates into a dozen different bolts, punching straight through the Sandmine's body. He falls to the ground, his heart slowing.

Isaiah takes careful aim, whispering a prayer. He fires, shooting out one of their eyes. Whipping around, he fires again, taking off another sniper's fingers.

Another sniper fires at Ludmila, scratching the skin off one of her outstretched fingers.

The lizardman thrusts his trident, which scratches Ludmila in the side. The berry's juices are now reacting to your blood.

The first sniper fires again, hitting Ludmila square in the back.

[Sandmine is now unconscious. Isaiah rolls 27, hits Sniper 1 for 19 damage. Isaiah rolls 18, hits Sniper 2 for 17 damage: both rolls use Divine Smite, and use up 2 1st-level spell slots.]

[Sniper 3 rolls 19, hits Ludmila for 4 damage. Zax rolls 20, dealing 4 damage and inflicting poison. Sniper 2 fires, rolling a 16, and deals 12 damage.]

[Mo: Make a Constitution saving throw: roll a d20 and add your CON modifier. This is a "free action". Also maybe you might want to take cover.]

[Next turn: Zankas.]
  • Zankas looks at the lizardman as he stabs Ludmila. He whispers a short code, the code written inside of his Studded Leather Armor. It flashes green for a moment, and fog seeps out of it, quickly covering the surrounding area.

Zankas then runs at Zax, attempting to grab his trident.
    You succeed in grabbing his trident.

A rider slashes at Zankas in the fog, but misses wildly.

Another rider tries to hack down on Ludmila, scoring a cut on her.

One of the snipers fires at Zankas, but misses.

[Yarrun contests Zax's Dexterity. Yarrun rolls 29, Zax 16. Yarrun succeeds. Rider 3 rolls a 10 and 9, at a disadvantage. Rider 1 rolls 22 and 14 at a disadvantage, but still hits, dealing 8 damage on Ludmila. Sniper 1 rolls 14 and 15 at a disadvantage, and misses.]

[Next turn: Ludmila.]