Nickelback officially better than Congress.

edited 2013-10-12 03:03:07 in General

Comments

• what if we just replaced our government with the members of Nickelback?

surely they can't be as bad at politics as music.
  • Or as bad at politics as our current congress.
  • Their music is just boring and stupid generic rock. Nothing special about them, really.
  • I dunno, I think the general thing is that they're really generic musically and Chad Kroeger has a very irritating voice, but I think their incompetence is generally exaggerated for comedic effect. Hinder is a worse band that is spoken about less.

I think it's sort of become a good identifier if someone is horribly unfunny or not though; whether or not they make Nickelback jokes that is.
  • Ludmila said:

I dunno, I think the general thing is that they're really generic musically and Chad Kroeger has a very irritating voice, but I think their incompetence is generally exaggerated for comedic effect. Hinder is a worse band that is spoken about less.

I think it's sort of become a good identifier if someone is horribly unfunny or not though; whether or not they make Nickelback jokes that is.

:|
  • This doesn't really count as a Nickelback "joke" for my purposes.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Huh

I didn't know that CNBC used Archer
  • Ludmila said:

I dunno, I think the general thing is that they're really generic musically and Chad Kroeger has a very irritating voice, but I think their incompetence is generally exaggerated for comedic effect.

Pretty much it for me at least.  Granted I'm a bit of a curmudgeon about most of the music you hear on the radio in public spaces anymore, so hey.
  • Cutxerk said:

Their music is just boring and stupid generic rock. Nothing special about them, really.

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You know, there are other than the new York NY and I am so I am not sure if we are the way to the new one more information contained herein is not sure if I have any attachments may contain confidential information that is not the new York NY and I am so I am

Or, in comprehensible speak, there are OTHER congresses than the American one. You act like the word, "congress" only refers to your congress, and it really cheeses me off.

Can I say that? Cheeses me off? Well, I don't care. I'm gonna say it anyway.

Jog your email address so that the new York NY and then we have to be able to see you.
  • edited 2013-10-12 12:26:59
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Nickleback doesn't just get made fun of because their music is mediocre to the point of being some sort of aughties parody of alternative rock. It's because it's that and they somehow would keep getting their horrible parody songs played on the radio.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

It's the difference between hating Pokemon because you're an ass-hat, and hating Pokemon because you have a babysitting gig, and Pokemon is the only show that keeps the kids from screaming the house down.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-12 12:47:24
    Hey now.  Pokemon has genuinely decent writing every once in a while, even if half the scripts are recycled anymore.
  • edited 2013-10-12 12:52:50
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I have no issues with Pokemon, I was just making an example. I almost said "MLP" there.

The idea is someone would normally simply dislike something, but overexposure cultivates that feeling into hate.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    THIS IS HOW YOU REMIND ME OF WHAT I REALLY AM
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I think "Wall Street" is by far the most damning thing on that list.

^ One of their earlier works, I actually kinda like it.
    I admit, some of my resentment for the Pokémon anime comes from the fact that it and its ilk chased the Silver Age Warner Bros. Animation shows off of Kids' WB!'s lineup back in the early 2000s
  • Eh.  I can't be too bitter about that given that Kids' WB crashed altogether immediately after.  And then it was just 24/7 terrible sex comedies.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

This was, IIRC, their first hit. If it hadn't been a hit we might never have been cursed with years and years of Nickelback Won't Disappear No Matter How Much They Suck.

Hence, we should hate that song with the intensity of a million suns
  • edited 2013-10-12 21:47:43
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Anonus said:

I admit, some of my resentment for the Pokémon anime comes from the fact that it and its ilk chased the Silver Age Warner Bros. Animation shows off of Kids' WB!'s lineup back in the early 2000s

I remember thinking people were being incredibly silly about that at the time (several people were inconsolable about it), but in the end, Pokémon wasn't that bad a show, and A! had lost most of its best writers by that point anyway.

Incidentally, I saw a picture on Tom Ruegger's blog that had Sherri Stoner and Deanna Oliver sitting together in it, and my first thought was "What are Tina Fey and Amy Poehler doing there?" :lol:
    It wasn't that bad, but those Japanese tie-in shows have never been my thing (though I found Pokémon watchable, my dad was fond of Digimon and I found that watchable too)
  • I never liked Digimon for reasons I no longer remember.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I seem to remember Digimon taking itself more seriously and being more dramatic, while Pokémon was relentlessly lighthearted.
  • edited 2013-10-12 22:06:40
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

I like that song.

Before this forum, I had never heard of nickelback; but I have heard that song and liked it. What other songs did Nickelback do?
    Anonus said:

Ah, I know the feeling. I feel that Game of Thrones is stealing all the attention, skilled fan-artists (like, really, I've seen some gorgeous landscapes and castle drawings that would be worthy of a frame of only you took out the heads on pikes) and people interested in the medieval era.

I want my William Marshall fan art, but nooo. Apparently his life is too boring for a tv show.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Ludmila said:

I never liked Digimon for reasons I no longer remember.

I saw digimon (the old one, with the scardey cat named joe, the two brothers who wore green, the princessy cowgirl in a cool pink hat who was sort of a cross between fluttershy and rarity, the motherly tomboy who i swear was the inspiration for Katara, and the computer genius kid and, oh yeah, the main character) and thought that Pokemon was a Digimon rip-off.

I thought that show was the bomb, all pumped up to see every episode.

But even then, I thought that putting Digi in front of words was kind of stupid and they should have just called it evolving.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Digimon was a better show than Pokemon, honestly.
    I'm a bit resentful that Haim Saban didn't buy back the rest of whatever Disney still owned out of Fox Kids' library

Nope, just that toku (and later Digimon)
  • nickelback > meshuggah
    ITT: Anonus bitches about the Disney Vault for the 800th time, also Kids' WB!

nickelback > meshuggah

disagree, but only slightly
  • edited 2013-10-12 23:38:37

at least nickelback can write riffs you can remember, even if you do not want to remember them

every time meshuggah try to do a thing that isn't "dissonant chugging in weird time signatures" it is laughably terrible

which puts them in the position of having spawned a sub-genre where nearly every band is better at what they do than they are
    perhaps, but even dissonant chugging in weird time signatures is better than Nickelback
    come to think of it, I might actually like it if not for the SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM vocals
  • dissonant chugging in weird time signatures is hella rad

the laughable everything else is the problem

+ there are like eighty bajillion people who think meshuggah is awesome and that all other djent sux (not that mot djent doesn't suck but still)

whereas there seems to be general agreement among people that Nickelback is bad
  • edited 2013-10-12 23:45:32
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Confession: I don't mind Nickelback (except for the occasional skeevy song)

Their songs would make useful production music if not for having vocals
    now I'm listening to Meshuggah

and kinda liking it

this forum does weird things to me
  • Bee said:

Hey now.  Pokemon has genuinely decent writing every once in a while, even if half the scripts are recycled anymore.

Uh...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i liked Digimon when i was a kid, but with hindsight the animation wasn't great and neither was the voice acting.

i also liked Pokémon, which had worse animation, and i think the unfaithful dub actually kind of improved it?  At least as far as i watched it, it seemed to have more of a sense of humour than other anime of its genre, and a big part of that was added in the dub stage, i think.

i liked Cardcaptor Sakura better than either of those, but online all i ever hear about it is how much the dub sucked.
  • Cardcaptor Sakura was one of a couple anime my mom really liked (offhand the only other I remember is Sailor Moon, though I'm sure there were more).
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    my mum liked what she saw of Cardcaptor Sakura as well, which surprised me a little since she rarely likes cartoons i watch
  • The Pokemon dub was really on and off.  For the most part, it got better over time.  It helped once they stopped trying to make it sound like a video game.  I mean, type matchups is one thing, but you probably shouldn't be explicitly referring to hit points  >_<
  • edited 2013-10-13 20:22:51
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    eh, it was a really silly show anyways

i like how James gets steadily more camp over time
    here it comes

wait for it

/thread
  • Melusina said:

here it comes

wait for it

/thread

james has the best boobs
    can't argue with that
  • Bee said:

The Pokemon dub was really on and off.  For the most part, it got better over time.  It helped once they stopped trying to make it sound like a video game.  I mean, type matchups is one thing, but you probably shouldn't be explicitly referring to hit points  >_<

FINISH IT OFF WITH FALSE SWIPE!
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-14 14:30:38
    I remember when I was watching that with my parents when I was little, and they had no idea why I suddenly descended into inarticulate WTF.

Of course even after they fell into a better rhythm, the quiz segments before commercials were usually written by a bunch of suits who barely had exposure to the franchise outside of the money it gave them.  So you had answers like Arbok evolving into Seviper.

And of course, progressively lazy animators from Sinnoh onward.  Like this.