''Y'all Meet at a Saloon'' Discussion Thread

Comments

• I suppose so.

Honestly I've put little effort into describing what she looks like because I'm bad at that. She's got a super cute witch hat tho.
  • Zankas's high Cha-stat is more due to his demeanor (and his ability to control his demeanor) than his looks.

Maybe Charisma isn't necessarily related to being amicable. I mean, Charisma's used for Intimidation, after all.
  • I suppose it implies mostly that they are liable to be looked at in some way, if that makes sense.
  • edited 2013-10-05 22:52:09
    (I'm getting tired of just relaying messages to Lin through IRC, so I'll just post directly.)

Does 'go for it' mean that the finesse requirement is waived or not? Does that mean that I'll have to take the feat again?

Finesse is supposed to represent the ability to sneak in and deliver precise blows, rather than strong blows- slipping a blade in through gaps in an opponent's armour, rather than banging them around the head with it, you might say.

It doesn't really make much sense to use a hammer as a finesse weapon.

also is this a decent attribute distribution (I don't know how to determine modifiers) 

You might want to consider moving that 16 in Strength to Intelligence, moving that 10 in Intelligence to Dexterity, and moving that 9 in Dexterity to Strength.

You have great rolls for the most part, but as a Warlock, you won't be using Strength very much. It's more important that you don't take a hit in Initiative, as that means more people will be getting to move ahead of you. You'd also be at a disadvantage any time you had to be stealthy, while Strength's only related skill is Athletics.

I feel like I keep want to say "Bear" and then a class, Like Bear Ranger, or Bear Paladin, but I fear that kind of nuance might wear you all down quickly, so I just want a quick kind of math thing, Is a bear worth playing at all?

There is no supported way for Lin to allow you to play a bear. Bears have a solid Intelligence of 3 in 5e, which is not enough to think beyond an animalistic cunning.

Lin could, however, houserule in that you're a Bear with an Intelligence of like... 6. That would essentially restrict you to Fighter or Barbarian, though; no other class is suitable to a Bear, even one with a higher Intelligence than normal.

Alternately, you could just go Druid and shapeshift into bear all the time.

Maybe Charisma isn't necessarily related to being amicable. I mean, Charisma's used for Intimidation, after all.

Charisma is related to how forceful your presence is.

Someone with a very strong personality has a high Charisma, while someone with a very weak personality has a low Charisma. This can simply mean you're beautiful, or it can mean that you're silver-tongued. It can mean that you're just funny. The important thing is that your presence alone makes people pay attention to you.

Look at Xykon from Order of the Stick. He's not precisely amicable, but he's a good example of a villainous character with a high Charisma.

Edit: No idea what happened to my formatting here.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Thanks, Nova.
  • Alright, I'll acquiesce. No hammers. I guess Zankas would be more of a dagger kind of guy.

I think I'll have him carry one as part of his disguise though (I'll be going with Charlatan for him). 

And welcome to our forum, Nova.
  • Yeah, I think I'm pretty much done. 

Just need to figure out how much miscellaneous stuff I can carry and I'm good.

This is much simpler than the 4e build I was trying to make.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I think your carry weight is 10 multiplied by your Strength.
  • I need to pick feats yet if those are a thing in this edition. Admittedly I keep getting distracted, this should not be taking me as long as it is.
  • also I have too many 5th level spells.

by which I mean, that particular section of the pdf cannot hold them all. It cuts off after the "Flaming" part of Flaming Sphere. Should I just keep these in a separate document in that case?
  • also it seems that as a human I get +1 to all of my ability scores. So I'll go fix that.
  • edited 2013-10-05 23:45:41
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Feats are here, but you can only take them as an alternative to Ability Score Improvement.
  • Do I want to do that? I've got two 17s and an 18 as it is, so idk.
  • Race: Con+1, Wis+1 Speed-25 ft, Darkvision, Poison Resistance, Three Languages (Common, Dwarvish, Gnomish)
    Rogue Path: Charlatan (Deception, Insight, Sleight of Hand)

Equipment: Studded Leather, Light Hammer, Daggerx4, Short Swordx2 (22 lb)

Inventory: 2 jugs of spirits (1 laced with basic poison), disguise kit, Thieves' Tools, 3 bags of caltrops, gaming set (cards), clothes (common, fine), tinderbox (41 lb)

Dex:17(3), 
    Cha: 15(2),
    Str: 13(1),
    Wis: 14(2), 
    Int: 11, 
    Con:11.

AC: 16

Hit Points: 28

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Intimidation, Perception, Stealth
    So here's the template. Just delete what you don't need.

Alignment: 
    Race: 
    Class: 
    Trait: 

Armor Class (AC): 
    Hit Points: 
    Eyes: 
    Hair: 
    Height: 
    Weight: 

Attributes
    Speed: 
    Hit Dice: 
    Initiative: 
    Vision: 
    Size: 
    Languages: 

Abilities (score, modifier)
    STR: 
    DEX: 
    CON: 
    INT: 
    WIS: 
    CHA: 

Experience Points
    Level: 
    XP: 
    Next Level:

Attacks
    Weapons
     (ATK: ) (DMG: ())

Class Features
    Weapon Proficiencies: 
    Attack Bonus: 

* (Lv.): 

Skills

Feats
    * (Lv.): *

Spells Prepared
    Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5

Additional Character Notes

Equipment and Treasure

Magical Items
     - (magic item)
    Property: 

• I think your carry weight is 10 multiplied by your Strength.

That's your unencumbered weight.

You can carry up to twice that, but doing so, you reduce your speed by 10 feet/round, and gain disadvantage on all attack rolls, and Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution checks and saving throws.

The weight of your weapons and armour also counts against your carrying capacity, though.

I need to pick feats yet if those are a thing in this edition. Admittedly I keep getting distracted, this should not be taking me as long as it is.

Four times through your leveling process, you have the option to take ability score improvements or feats.

Look through the feats section and see if there's anything you really want. It might be worth slipping that 16 into Dexterity and taking the Arcane Archer feat when you can, for instance; while that means you won't be able to increase, say, Charisma to 20, it allows you to fire an arrow marked with a Mirror Image to a given place on the battlefield.

Generally, though, it's superior to just increase your base ability scores to 20, particularly the ones relevant to your class.

[snip Yarrun's thing]

I'm assuming you went Mountain Dwarf?

Lin is probably kind enough to let you increase your HP to 34- 6 at level 1, plus an average of 4 HP for 7 levels afterward.

You also haven't chosen your four skills to gain proficiency in. You've chosen your four class skills, but the bonus granted by Expertise is different. You could choose three skills and your Thieves Kit, too, if you wanted a +5 bonus on all checks involving thieves' tools.

You also haven't noted your other Rogue skills; Sneak Attack, Cunning Action, Thieves Cant, Rogues Style (Assassination or Thievery), Evasion, and Uncanny Dodge.

If I might offer a suggestion, you might wish to consider not taking the ability score improvement at Level 4, and take the Dual Wielder feat instead. You could then pick up a Rapier and a Short Sword, and dual-wield them both, gaining extra damage (the Rapier does 1d8 damage, as opposed to the Short Sword's 1d6 damage) and +1 to AC while you're dual-wielding. You can still take the ability score improvement at Level 7, too, allowing you to increase your Dexterity to 19.
  • Generally, though, it's superior to just increase your base ability scores to 20, particularly the ones relevant to your class.

Having looked through the feats, I believe I agree with you. Nothing in there really appealed to me and there is only a small selection of them for 5e at the moment.
  • hey, the thing labeled "Backgrounds and Skills" does not actually have Skills in it, just Backgrounds and associated Traits.
  • hey, the thing labeled "Backgrounds and Skills" does not actually have Skills in it, just Backgrounds and associated Traits.

The Skills are listed at the very start of the document.

There are examples of what each skill may entail in the How to Play document, on pages 4-7.
  • Yeah, Zankas is a Mountain Dwarf.

34 is actually what the HP should be. I forgot to add the 6 from the beginning. Thank you.

Rapier would probably be the smart choice, but it goes against my roleplaying sensibilities. Zankas may be raised Gnomish, but he's still a Dwarf and he's going to favor Dwarvish weapons. I might have him dual-wield with a warhammer, which uses the same hit die.
  • this is what I have so far;

Alignment:
    Neutral

Race: Human
    Class: Warlock
    Background: Noble

Armor Class (AC): 
    Hit Points: 35
    Eyes: Green
    Hair: Black, long, straight.
    Height: Medium-short.
    Weight: Medium.

AttributesSpeed: 30 ft.
    Hit Dice: 8d6 (1d6/warlock level)
    Initiative: Vision: 
    Size: Medium
    Languages: Common, Fey

Abilities (score, modifier)STR: 17 (3)
    DEX: 10 (0)
    CON: 15 (2)
    INT: 11 (0)
    WIS: 17 (3)
    CHA: 18 (4)

Experience PointsLevel: 8XP: 0Next Level:
    AttacksWeapons
    Scythe [pact arm] (ATK: ) (DMG: (1d10 Slashing)

Class FeaturesWeapon Proficiencies: All simple weapons, specified Pact Arm.Attack Bonus: 
    * (Lv.): 
    Skills

Feats* (Lv.): *
    Spells

Cantrips:

Message,
    Dancing Lights, Fire Seeds, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand

Level 1:

Detect Magic, Feather Fall, Identify,

Level 2:

Blur, Pass Without Trace

Level 3:

Water Walk , Blink, Haste,
    Charm Person, Color Spray, Disguise Self, Faerie Fire, Hail of Thorns, Sleep, Entangle
    Level 4:

Fly, Air Walk, Dimension Door, Divination

Level 5:

Teleportation Circle, Hunter’s Veil, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Spike Growth, Aura of Invisibility, Major Image, Water Walk, Darkness, Flaming Sphere, Create Food and Water
    Level 6:

Arcane Gate, Wind Walk,
  • Level 7:
    Plane Shift, Teleportation,
    Confusion,
    Freedom of Movement, Grasping Vine, Contact Other Plane, Feeblemind,
    Flame Strike, Seeming, Telekinesis, Damning Smite, Insect Plague

Additional Character Notes
    Flames produced by any fire spells Ludmila casts are a bright, glowing green as opposed to the orange of normal fire.

The Beck and Call is worn on Ludmila's left ring finger, to anyone who is unable to spot it, it is not any different from the eleven other rings she wears.

Patron Spirits

Inxeligxus: Ludmila is powered by and endebted to first and foremost the swamp spirit Inxeligxus. Inxeligxus is a mysterious entity, and resembles a dragon composed of green witchfire. He is a fey of some sort but what kind exactly is not known, nor is why he wished for five years of Ludmila's lifespan in return for her powers. Inxeligxus appears to be very powerful however, and is served by a bevy of strange spirits, Ludmila's other patrons two among them.

Baron Markonus: The embodiment of the greed that drove humans to attempt to enter the swamp, and its consequences. Markonus takes the form of a skeleton dressed in a rich man's clothing. He provides Ludmila with no powers, but advises her frequently, and tries to direct her to particularly rich treasure troves.

Udilon, The Pestilence: The swamps are a disease-ridden place when untamed by civilization, and Udilon is the embodiment of such facts. He takes the form of a hooded, scythe-wielding figure who wears a plague doctor's mask. He provides Ludmila with the majority of her curses, and her Pact Arm, the ability to conjure a scythe.

Equipment and Treasure

Background Starting Equipment: [signet ring, sealing wax, scroll of pedigree, 29 gp, and 5 sp]
    x20 Broken Magical Baubles (including x1 broken Amulet of True Resurrection)
    x1 Large Pipe -- Red Dragon Brand
    x1 Great Swamp Grimoire
    x1 Adventurer's Kit
    x5 Stick of Charcoal

Magical Items

Padded Robes of Silence (uncommon padded robes)
    These robes were of an unknown elven make, a mix of silk and fine cotton, gilded patterns around the edges. Clearly made for a nobleman, but subtly, not at all ostentatious.
    Properties: You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you wear this armor. 
    Additionally, while you wear the armor, you make normal Stealth checks instead of at a disadvantage.

Pact Arm Scythe “Adavaita”
    The scythe is made of an unknown silvered metal, with black and purple crystal etched hair-thin in flowing lines down the metal lengthwise. The hilts are made of a finely-grained, smooth, and sweet-smelling wood, wood that you have never seen before. The scythe is so sharp that it can cut almost anything; merely resting a stick against the blade causes it to be sliced in half.
    Properties: You gain a +1 bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls you make with this weapon. Additionally, on a roll of 19 or 20, the scythe deals 1d6 extra damage.
    As with the Pact Arm class feature, you are considered proficient with this weapon and may call it to your hands with a standard action.

This item is bound to Udilon The Pestilence and cannot be summoned if he is displeased, even by way of The Beck and Call.

Beck and Call
    This signet ring is made of black iron. The signet-face itself is carved from red jade, and constantly burns with a heatless fire, obscuring its mark. When you press the signet against a weapon, it leaves a burned black word on said weapon in the common tongue. Each word - though simple to pronounce - is not in any dictionary. By saying that word aloud, you may summon that weapon into your hands from anywhere in the world. Maybe you shouldn't tell anyone the keywords.
    Properties: So long as you wear the ring, you may summon any weapon in your possession that you have marked with a standard action.

• Rapier would probably be the smart choice, but it goes against my roleplaying sensibilities. Zankas may be raised Gnomish, but he's still a Dwarf and he's going to favor Dwarvish weapons. I might have him dual-wield with a warhammer, which uses the same hit die.

The problem is that Warhammer's aren't Finesse weapons. This means you'll be making all attack rolls at -2 less than you could be if you were using a rapier; a significant disadvantage.
  • *Zankas the Blank (Zankas Gladdenstone)
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Race: Mountain Dwarf
    Class: Rogue
    Background: Charlatan
    Trait: False Identity

Armor Class (AC): 17
    Hit Points: 34
    Eyes: Grey
    Hair: Brown
    Height: 4 ft.
    Weight: 155 lb.

Attributes
    Speed: 25
    Hit Dice: 8d6
    Initiative: +3
    Vision: Darkvision
    Size: Med
    Languages: Dwarven, Common, Gnomish

Abilities (score, modifier)
    STR: 13 +1
    DEX: 16 +3
    CON: 11
    INT: 11
    WIS: 14 +2
    CHA: 14 +2

Experience Points
    Level: 8
    XP: 
    Next Level:

Attacks
    Weapons
    Short Sword (magic) (ATK:+4 ) (DMG: (1d6)p)
    Rapier (AK: +3) (DMG: (1d8)p)
    Daggers x4 (ATK: +3) (DMG: (1d4)p)

Class Features
    Weapon Proficiencies: Basic Weapons, Axes, Hammers, Crossbows, Martial Light Weapons, Swords
    Attack Bonus: +3

* (Lv.): 

Skills
    Acrobatics
    Intimidation(E)
    Perception
    Stealth(E)
    Deception(E)
    Insight
    Sleight of Hand(E)

Sneak Attack
    Cunning Action
    Thieves Cant
    Thievery
    Evasion
    Uncanny Dodge

Feats
    * (Lv.): *
    Dual-Wielder

Additional Character Notes:
    Dagger locations: One in his sleeve, one in his boot, and two in his belt. Unless specified, Zankas is wielding one of the daggers from his belt.

Zankas wields the shortsword in his main hand and the rapier in his off-hand, unless specified.

The warhammer functions as part of Zankas's false identity. He will still use it as a weapon if no weapons with Finesse are available.

Zankas's remaining 1600 gp is hidden across 5 separate safehouses, bought under his false identity.

Equipment and Treasure
    1x Studded Leather (magic)
    1x Thieves' Tools
    1x Disguise Kit (Signet Ring of imaginary Dwarven noble)
    1x Gaming Kit (cards, marked)
    6x Bags of Caltrops
    3x Bags of Ball Bearings
    2x Jugs of Beer (one poisoned with basic posion)
    1x Clothes (common)
    1x Clothes (fine)
    1x Tinderbox
    1x Warhammer (fine)
    400 gp.

Magical Items
    Gator Belly (studded vest)
    Property: +1 AC, can use an action to create Fog Cloud with radius of 40 ft.
    Backup (short sword)
    Property: +1 to hit, nigh-unbreakable, Dwarven-make.

• Zankas wields the shortsword in his main hand and the warhammer in his off-hand, unless specified.

When you are dual-wielding, you can only wield light weapons in your off-hand.
  • wait, do we all get 100gp? It doesn't make sense for the rogue to start with more money than a deposed noble.
  • wait, do we all get 100gp? It doesn't make sense for the rogue to start with more money than a deposed noble.

Each background starts off with 175 gold. This gold is then spent on equipment, etc. The leftover funds after that are the money you are seeing directly.
  • -shrugs-

I figured that Zankas, being avaricious and a Dwarf and all, would tend to hoard gold.

And I assumed that, since we're starting at Lvl 8, my character would have already had opportunity to hoard gold.

If it's too much, I'll change it without a problem.
  • Nova said:

wait, do we all get 100gp? It doesn't make sense for the rogue to start with more money than a deposed noble.

Each background starts off with 175 gold. This gold is then spent on equipment, etc. The leftover funds after that are the money you are seeing directly.
    I thought there were multiple ways to determine starting equipment and that that was only one of them.
  • You can buy the equipment yourself if you would like.
  • Screw it. The cost of the equipment's somewhere below 125 gp, but I'm too tired to actually do the math, so let's just give him 25 gp and assume he drank off the difference at a pub the night before.
    Thanks for fielding the questions, Nova. 

Mo: Also the ATK for your scythe is your proficiency bonus so don't forget to add that. And your skills, don't forget those.
  • Mo: Also the ATK for your scythe is your proficiency bonus so don't forget to add that. And your skills, don't forget those.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

No weapons should work off your proficiency bonus. Or rather, all attack rolls should gain a bonus based on your proficiency, so long as you are proficient with that weapon. Every non-magical attack done by people in this thread should be done at a +3 bonus. No weapon should have their attack roll decided entirely by that.
    Yeah I'm wrong it's proficiency + ability modifier.
    Okay so we got Yarrun and Mo.

Anyone else wants to get in on this, please PM me.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    This is my character sheet as for now : http://pastebin.com/Z71yfVWe
    Well everything seems to be in order.

Are you sure you don't want to be better at weapons?

Also you get 2000 gp and a few uncommon magic items you wish.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    She tends to avoid fighting and her quarterstaff is non-magical but is ornamented. The cantrip Fire Seeds is her primary attack. I will look into magical items now and modify that sheet accordingly.
    I mean I'll MAKE some magic items that you might want and I think will be useful.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Ah, sorry, I misunderstood
    Can't really take credit for the mechanical properties, Nova did those. I just described them.
    Thanks. Have to say making magical items is pretty fun though.
  • This is my character sheet as for now : http://pastebin.com/Z71yfVWe

I can't really see why your Charisma is 9. Using the point-buy system, you should have three scores at 10, and three scores at 16. Two levels of ability score improvement beyond that means 10, 10, 10, 16, 16, and 20.

You also haven't written down many of your class features; Extra Attack, primarily. You also have access to other Wild Shape forms (you got Steed at Level 5, and Fish and Rodent at Level 7).

You also need to pick a Circle; either Circle of the Land or Circle of the Moon. Circle of the Land focuses on enhancing a Druid's spellcasting, while Circle of the Moon focuses on enhancing their Wild Shape. (Hint: If you go Circle of the Moon, you have access to Bear/Panther form already.)
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I guess I miscalculated at one point, will fix that.

I kinda did a poor job at transcribing those correctly in there, will fix that.

Circle of the Land was chosen and the sheet was modified accordingly, though it wasn't explicitly specified, which I should do.