Logical fallacies

edited 2013-09-23 22:43:54 in General

"You know, Aristotle didn't write Sophistical Refutations so that, 2300 years later, you could look up 'List of logical fallacies' on Wikipedia and say their names at people you disagree with."

"Appeal to authority!"

"FFFFFFFFFFFF-"

Comments

• Why are they called logical fallacies, if the people using them aren't being logical.

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Because they too are succumbing to a logical fallacy, specifically a kind of appeal to authority combined with the use of thought-terminating clichés: "You are being irrational, therefore I win."
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Ah, thought termination

The key to bliss
  • The sadness will last forever.
    there's also faulty logic
  • Because they too are succumbing to a logical fallacy, specifically a kind of appeal to authority combined with the use of thought-terminating clichés: "You are being irrational, therefore I win."

If your thesis wasn't based on ration, shouldn't that be grounds to dismiss your argument?

at what point do we logical examine everything said and say these people are using logic when they aren't

Logical Fallacies should only be used by the most logical of people after all.

It's like a sports sedan, If I was a sporting lady, then I would drive one, but I'm not.

Logic.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-24 02:12:00
    I maintain that people should pass a qualifying exam in order to be licensed to use Occam's Razor and the Slippery Slope Fallacy.
  • edited 2013-09-24 03:40:29
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Sure, it starts with forcing people to pass an exam before they're allowed to use Occam's Razor or the Slippery Slope Fallacy. Then you'll start testing everyone on False Equivalence, and before you know it everyone has to pass an exam before they're allowed to speak at all!

I won't stand for that, no sir.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Expecto Patronum!