If Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris lived in the Elder Scrolls universe

edited 2013-09-20 10:12:23 in General
they'd probably worship Daedra.

Or be Psijics.

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    seems like it'd be hard to be a Dawkins/Harris style atheist in a world where the gods have a direct and observable effect upon reality on a daily basis

• Only the Daedra (and the Tribunal, but that was two centuries ago), though.
    you pray at a shrine, you get a blessing and are instantly cured of any diseases you've contracted

that's a direct and measurable effect
  • doesn't elder scrolls have a heroic figure who is literally said to have used the game's editing tools?
  • Exactly, a measurable effect. Elder Scroll gods are not really the kind of beings one has to take a leap of faith to believe in. So atheists shouldn't have problems with them.
  • Tachyon said:

you pray at a shrine, you get a blessing and are instantly cured of any diseases you've contracted

Basically.

It's why I never put any stock into the 'Only Eight Gods' thing. Talos gives a blessing just like every god.
  • Divinity in TES is weird.

I love the world building but I prefer the mundane stuff. The gods get a little bit too complicated for my taste.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    whos sam harris
  • whos sam harris

Patron saint of fedoratheists.
  • Tachyon said:

seems like it'd be hard to be a Dawkins/Harris style atheist in a world where the gods have a direct and observable effect upon reality on a daily basis

Not daily.  They do a lot of faffing about.
  • whos sam harris

Dawkins without the biology, I think.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Bee said:

Not daily.  They do a lot of faffing about.

And couldn't having daily effects on reality make them easier to disbelieve in than a sufficient number of random miracles? I mean if occasionalism is true, people could easily believe that fire rather than God is the cause of burning, just because God is buring stuff all the time in a rational pattern.
  • Tachyon said:

Except that there are cure disease spells.

spinor said:

doesn't elder scrolls have a heroic figure who is literally said to have used the game's editing tools?

It's a lot more complex than that.

Viani said:

Apparently if you play a High Elf and pray at a Shrine of Talos doesn't do anything.

I think Talos hates elves, or Talos' blessing doesn't work on high elves so that's why they think he's not a god.

For Talos so hated the Elves that He sent a giant mecha to Fuck Their Shit Up, that whoever believes in Him is Probably Not An Elf.
  • Tachyon said:

Basically.

It's why I never put any stock into the 'Only Eight Gods' thing. Talos gives a blessing just like every god.
    You are correct. The main quest of Oblivion and a cameo in Morrowind make it very clear that Talos is real.
  • I have to imagine that atheism in such a universe would revolve around less a disbelief in the gods and more a disbelief in their divinity.

The difference between "Jesus didn't exist" and "Jesus wasn't the son of god", in more relatable terms.
  • Most of the Elder Scrolls gods don't really give a rat's ass about divinity in the first place.
  • Talos does, though.
  • Heh, he is the one to tell <sacrasm>

Anyway, divinity in TES really has more to do with being sufficiently powerful than with any big concepts
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-21 15:36:31
    That's true.  They treat it more as a physical characteristic than a virtue.
  • I have to imagine that atheism in such a universe would revolve around less a disbelief in the gods and more a disbelief in their divinity.

The difference between "Jesus didn't exist" and "Jesus wasn't the son of god", in more relatable terms.

When you're dealing with things as obvious powerful and reality warping as TES gods, actual divinity is merely a semantic thing.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Richard Dawkins: Respected biologist and scientist. However sometimes he
    thinks he can talk about philosophical issues while simultaneously being
    totally ignorant and dismissive of the philosophic dialog that he's talking
    about. When he is sticking to science or even just atheism people don't have a
    problem with him generally.

Christopher Hitchens: Honestly I don't know that much about him, he did
    basically advocate killing Islamic people though after 911, and acted like
    religion was the only possible cause of violent terrorism.

Dan Dennett: Not so much hated, but a lot of people think he sticks to
    behaviorism / reductionism to an absurd degree. Pretty much the last true
    behaviorist in professional philosophy. Despite this he's extremely popular
    with lay people who are science minded and a lot of people who know nothing
    about philosophy assume he's obviously right.

Bill Mayer: Nothing to do with philosophy really but he's super annoying
    and pretty much an idiot. Also I don't know how you can look at him and not
    want to punch his stupid face. Like Proud_Bum pointed out Lawrence Krauss would
    have been way better so I'll do him instead.

Lawrence Krauss: Like Dawkins he wants to talk about philosophic issues
    without understanding any counterpoints that actual philosophers raise.
    Dismisses all of philosophy as pointless at the same time. Presumably he can do
    physics well but he needs to shut up about metaphysics and philosophy (or
    actually read a book on them first).

Sam Harris: Writes pop philosophy books using terrible circular reasoning
    and ignoring any objections. Is absurdly sure of himself, regarding the moral
    landscape when someone asked what the best objection he heard to the ideas he
    said "There hasn't been any". Considering the scope of what he was
    claiming and the incredibly small amount of arguments he used to claim it this
    is just insane.

The biggest reason people hate them though is a lot of people view them as
    the public intellectuals of our time due to their popularity. So they spread a
    lot of bad philosophy into the general public.

sounds accurate
  • Kexruct said:

I have to imagine that atheism in such a universe would revolve around less a disbelief in the gods and more a disbelief in their divinity.

When you're dealing with things as obvious powerful and reality warping as TES gods, actual divinity is merely a semantic thing.
    I'm sure it would still matter to some people, provided there are people in The Elder Scrolls Universe with time to philosophize, it's been a while since I played Morrowind and longer since I played Oblivion (not a typo).
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-21 17:05:19
    I get the feeling Harris would try and redefine divinity out of spite specifically so that the gods wouldn't qualify.  His efforts would probably end with a smiting.

Dawkins is a douche with an axe to grind, but at least pragmatic enough to go "yeah this is a thing" and view them as overpowered politicians (which they kinda are).  Of course, seeing how magic is just another branch of science in a setting like that, he'd probably also be keeping his ear to the ground on running theories about the source code the gods are hacking, if not outright moonlighting as a mage.
  • That's why I said he'd make a good Psijic. The Psijics believe that the Daedric Princes are just spurned Aldmeri ancestors who achieved divinity through prominence in the mortal world.

Plus, the snobby Altmer mage is an archetype that suits him well.