Mormon Memes

edited 2013-09-18 13:41:18 in General

This is only funny if you're a Mormon or if you know one.  We really do say "flip".  Only a Mormon would look up Mormon Memes at church, and only a Mormon would feel bad about it.

imageimage
I used to sing this song all the time.  And baby emerson is an awesome reaction to that image

This is only funny to us.  You know, people really should do this instead of taking coats to church in the middle of summer with which to save seats.

I will not explain this one.  If you don't know the song, then I'm sorry, but you have no true childhood.  Also, babies are amazingly expressive.

Oh, wow.  So many memories.

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I have to have hinges 'cause everything bends.

From the top of my neck way down to my ends.

I'm hinges in front, and I'm hinges in back

I have to have hinges, or else I would

CRACK!

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm not familiar with some of the songs, but:
    Aliroz said:

I will not explain this one.  If you don't know the song, then I'm sorry, but you have no true childhood.  Also, babies are amazingly expressive.

My mom still sings this (to either the grandkids or the dog) from time to time, even though we've been out of LDS since 1998.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    lee4hmz said:

My mom still sings this (to either the grandkids or the dog) from time to time, even though we've been out of LSD since 1998.
    FTFY
  • the church of jesus christ of lysergic acid diethylamide
  • Are Mormons with memes Meermen?

Do they have meerkats?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I watched that and the original.

The original was fascinating. I think it was supposed to convince the viewer that Mormonism is silly, but the cartoon was done pretty straight. I only figured I was supposed to come to the conclusion that "Mormonism was bad!" because it was followed up by a dude upset that his wife left him because he wasn't Mormon.

Maybe it's because you look like a boring nerd, dude, and your response to unfortunate situations is to passive aggressively create cartoons in poorly executed attempts to attack people's beliefs. 
  • So, the first Reddit Atheist before Reddit?
  • I thought the idea was "Mormonism has beliefs that run contrary to typical Christianity" so therefore "Mormonism is bad".  At least that's what I garnered from reading some info about who made it, briefly.
    Yeah, the evangelicals really don't like Mormonism and tend to associate it with New World Order conspiracies (which are also Satanic, dontchaknow) via the Freemasons.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    iirc there was a Mormon woman who came to my church once whose entire family and local community had disowned and shunned her for marrying a Methodist

not saying that's normal or anything but it's apparently a thing that can happen and i have to say i found it alarming
    Aliroz said:

but never mind that, this is great
  • edited 2013-09-25 12:54:56
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Never mind, that is great.
    (2015 self)
  • Man, Christopher Nolan and Inception didn't invent recursion.  Actually, that particular type of recursion is called the Droste effect after a Dutch cocoa company's advertising.
    (2015 self)
    Yes, but let's see you try to make a good pun with "Droste".
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

The original was fascinating. I think it was supposed to convince the viewer that Mormonism is silly, but the cartoon was done pretty straight.
    Well all that stuff about prehistoric America is very silly, so part of it is clearly "false truth claims are bad." Another part is how it contradicts orthodox Christianity, so I'd guess it was an evangelical production.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Aliroz said:

The Droste with the most.
  • Also, Xzibit did it before Inception.

Fuck Inception.  Xzibit is the original nesting internet meme.  In this case, he put a singing book in your singing book, so you can read music while you read music.
    i'm just bugged by how everyone seems to have forgotten that 'inception' is an actual word

that doesn't mean the Droste effect
    memes r srs bzns

Also, Xzibit did it before Inception.

Fuck Inception.  Xzibit is the original nesting internet meme.  In this case, he put a singing book in your singing book, so you can read music while you read music.

Putting memes in ones memes so one can reiterate notions while one reiterates notions.
  • edited 2013-09-25 20:38:45
    (flower path)
    Aliroz said:

"Hymnception" is barely a pun, though.  The proper portmanteau is "hymncursion".

Tachyon said:

i'm just bugged by how everyone seems to have forgotten that 'inception' is an actual word

that doesn't mean the Droste effect

Yeah.  In the film, it means implanting an idea into someone's mind through dreams.  In everyday use it means the beginning of something.
    Or more specifically, the entry into a situation, event or course of action, which is what the film seemed to be going for.