Victim blaming

edited 2013-09-10 17:09:51 in Talk
"Now the Persians think that the abduction of women is certainly a crime, and yet once they have been abducted, it is senseless to go seeking vengeance. Sensible people have no concern for abducted women; it is quite obvious that women could not have been abducted if they had not consented." -- Herodotus 1.4.2

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Man...could you imagine how swamped with hate messages this man would get if they had Tumblr circa 500 B.C.E.?
  • Wasn't Herotodus like ridiculously sarcastic? :o

Oh wait that's the joke isn't it.

Do you think he had to deal with the B.C.E. equivalent of Poe's law?
  • Probably. :O
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Now I'm imagining that Herodotus just travelled around the Persian empire getting trolled.

"How do you Indians get so much gold?" "Ants the size of foxes dig it up."

"Why is the third pyramid much smaller than the others?" "It was the pharaoh's daughter's. She was a whore who charged a stock block per customer."

• "Well, maybe you shouldn't have bought such a stealable car, just look at those rims"

"Someone assaulted you? Well, you look like the type that likes to rough-house, maybe you were just rough-housing with the person then?"

"This body sure looks like it belonged to a person who wanted to die, look, they were on suicide watch"

"Well, maybe you shouldn't have bought such a stealable chariot, just look at those spoked wheels"

FTFY

Course, it's hard to look at something after it's been stolen away...
  • Justice42 said:

"Well, maybe you shouldn't have bought such a stealable chariot, just look at those spoked wheels"

FTFY

Course, it's hard to look at something after it's been stolen away...
    It was a picture of the car.

In this modern age of having things called pictures.
  • Not anymore, my camera was stolen. :o

Probably shouldn't have bought a Canon, that's my fault.
  • Then make it non-canon.
  • How Thucydides recounts a battle:
    "The men sent their women and children away and made ready to do battle. They met the enemy army and routed their right and left wings, then the center surrendered and the men set up a trophy."

How Herodotus would have told it:
    "The men sent their women and children away and made ready to do battle. While they were away, the women and children decided to gather together and make the world's largest cake for the men when they returned. Some say that this cake, when finished, was the size of a house. The men fought and won, however, upon their return, they found the cake had already been eaten by a flock of winged snakes."
  • Winged Snakes?

The Greeks knew about the Aztecs. That would have been impossible.

Unless they had time machines.

It's a conspiracy, wake up media.
  • Obviously the crux of victim blaming is that we all know no-one is truly innocent, thus whatever crime someone suffers through, it was probably karma that lead them to suffer through it....

Or you know, something like that if I removed too many brain cells.

• Obviously the crux of victim blaming is that we all know no-one is truly innocent, thus whatever crime someone suffers through, it was probably karma that lead them to suffer through it....

Or you know, something like that if I removed too many brain cells.

According to some religions, suffering in this life is caused by bad deeds in the previous one.
  • edited 2013-09-12 19:02:25
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    That's the basis of a lot of dharmic faiths like Hinduism, yeah. But I'm not sure if doctrine states that you are supposed to fuck with the victims, leave them alone, or help them. Really not sure.

I prefer Buddhist thought, really. Everything is suffering and everything that isn't is drawing attention away from the fact that you should try and stop suffering.
  • I vaguely remember some Eastern faith that said that the God of Death assigned you a shitty destiny in the next life if you fucked things up in your last. Can I get some confirmation?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    That's Yanluo Wang, the Chinese syncretism of Daoism, Hinduism, and Buddhism. 

Although since Yanluo Wang sends the damned through the Ten Hells of Diyu to purge their sin before letting them back up to life, I wonder how that justifies anyone being born poor.