oh. my. god.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    look at her butt
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The funny thing about that article is that there are actual news articles about world affairs from the early 20th century that are just as referentially dense and people actually understood them.

On the one hand, that is because the people that bought newspapers then were part of an unsustainable economic leisure class that received intensive private education and saw themselves as owning the world. On the other... I wish that the news was actually smart on average.
  • I read a book that touched on that once. Though the book was primarily about communism in the United States.
    I read about it in a book about the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary—entitled The Meaning of Everything. It's really good.
  • I don't remember the title of the book I read.

It was for a research paper actually. There was like a chapter about how the red scare encouraged people to deliberately be more ignorant of the world around them and how it's trickled down to American culture today where we're still sort of willfully unaware of the world at large. It was interesting, but I wish I could remember more of it.
  • kill living beings
    how old exactly? because i've seen some pretty dumb 19th century news articles in my time

also the other joke is that all the historical comparisons are basically irrelevant to the possibility of syrian intervention, the intended point that comparisons to iraq are also irrelevant (but people actually make them)

dunno whether to agree but i'm down with joking at ottomen
    ^ 1928, if I am remembering correctly.