preordering games

edited 2013-08-27 23:21:44 in General
what benefits are there to the company for it?

Comments

• having money before the game is released
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I am guessing it helps with anticipating how fast they need to print more copies but I dunno.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Most preorders include extra incentives, and Limited Editions always always sell out before the actual release. Basically, it gets people buying before reviews can dissuade them.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    oh, interesting! Prof. reviews are kind of dumb in my opinion and the best insight comes from fans who played it.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Fan reaction is a form of review in its own way.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It is, actually. All of it falls under the term "public relations". Add that to the fact that many professional reviewers are enthusiasts, who are fans in their own way.

So the thing about games is that after you release them, at some point they're going to not make money anymore. People will buy books throughout the year. People will go see movies in theaters, then buy DVDs. So by giving you a few incentives, they hope to get as much money in their pocket as early as possible.
  • > what benefits are there to the company for it?

* "money in the bank" (committed revenues) earlier
    * quicker to break even (shareholders and investors like this)
    * boosts early sales figures