Europa Universalis

2»

Comments

• The Byzantine Empire pretty much never survives in EU4. It's got two counties at the only start it's available and the Ottomans have a mission to conquer them.
  • The Colonial World in my Portugal game:

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    So, are the Aztechs a thing because of porting from a game that also has Sunset Invasion?
  • The Aztecs (and assorted other new world nations) are there normally, but their tech group changes from "New World" to "High American" (functionally identical to the Western, or standard tech group) if you're using a ported-in CK2 game with the Sunset Invasion DLC.
  • Speaking of which, I have to imagine that playing as the Inca (and it's totally possible) is boring as hell.
  • I can't figure out how to like

be successful at this game

as anyone other than Portugal.
  • edited 2013-09-02 11:18:05
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Started another Tyrone game. After 6 years, I conquered most of Ireland, going Connacht -> Leinster -> Munster. Had to recruit a few mercs to take on Munster, but it wasn't that big a deal. The problem now is Meath, since there's no way I can take on England personally. Got a couple of royal marriages with Brittany and Scotland running, though.

• I'm gonna try to play as the Timurids again. Determined to get this right.
  • so if I've got my priorities sussed out correctly, my biggest "to-dos" should first be conquering as much of the Delhi Sultanate as possible (in order to expedite the process of forming Moghulistan/The Mughal Empire) and getting enough royal marriages that Ulugh Beg (our current heir) will have an heir of his own and not die childless, leading to an ever-worsening spiral of chaos and disorder.
  • also am I correct in assuming that being incredibly impious is better than being extremely pious when playing Muslim? The technology cost reduction seems to outweigh any potential negatives.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

also am I correct in assuming that being incredibly impious is better than being extremely pious when playing Muslim? The technology cost reduction seems to outweigh any potential negatives.

Be Pious.  Piety is good.
  • I am talking about benefits within the game regarding the Muslim Piety system, Aliroz, not real life.

And the Impiety/Piety slider is more of a measure of Religious Tolerance anyway.

also apparently Ulug Beg in real life was a terrible ruler but terrific mathematician. Poor guy, born in the wrong culture.
  • So, I've formed Moghulistan (Shah Rukh is somehow not dead yet, which helped a lot) and I'm wondering, since most of my concerns are now focused on the Indian subcontinent, would it be a bad idea to release Persia as a vassal? It's by far where most of my revolts happen.

The only thing that's really making me not necessarily want to consider it is that it'll put me two over my limit for diplomatic relations and Ulug Beg (who is still our heir) has a 1 in all monarch stats, so we might end up losing diplomatic power.

That said we do have another vassal (the tiny nation of Kanga) that we could break ties with, so...
  • ok, evidently it does not let you core noncontiguous provinces even if they're on the same continent unless they're within your colonial range.

this suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks and puts me in a very difficult position.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Oh, come on, as if being impious is ever going to let you summon a god to stomp all over your enemies.
  • Ended up releasing both Persia and ironically enough, the Timurids as vassals. Hopefully this will not come back to bite me.
    Aliroz said:

Oh, come on, as if being impious is ever going to let you summon a god to stomp all over your enemies.

you may be confusing this game with Dungeons & Dragons.
  • alright this isn't working out

time to save scum and lose like an hour of progress

wheee
  • wait a minute, why does declaring war on some people drop my stability to -3?

so uh

I suddenly lost all of my CBs on India at once

?????????????????????
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It's time for the new episode of "The Adventures of Tyrone and Pals!"

So, after conquering Munster, I didn't have much to do, since attacking Meath was a suicidal proposition. So I bided my time. It was worth it. About a year later, France and England went to war, leaving me free to take control of the province. England made token efforts to recapture it during the six year span of the war, but they seemed to forget that 4-5 regiments were not going to be able to take on the whole Tyrone army.

So, as I mentioned, the war took 6 years, which was just a repetitive motion of "England blockades every port in Ireland, sends a few regiments to Ulster, dies horribly." I eventually got them to give up Meath, and my conquest of Ireland was complete.

However, once the truce broke, England declared war on me again, in a bid to regain Meath. Learning literally nothing from the last war, they lost. Again. Since I needed to expand, I made the following peace deal: Release Cornwall from English control. As a newly independent Cornwall could not: A) Take on the entire Irish army, and B) did not have enough of a reputation to form an alliance, I quickly claimed them for myself. Independent Cornwall's existence lasted less than two years.

• so, in my Mughals game I have not only managed to drive Shan out of the Indian subcontinent, I've also made the Mughals into the second-best colonial power in the world.

No really, the only European nation that's done any colonizing so far is France (the Iberian nations have been caught up in an extensive series of wars and truces for as long as they've been visible on my map, it looks like Aragon *might* be finally winning out), who own a fair chunk of the west coast of Africa. We started colonizing the uninhabited parts of the east coast and then moved on to island-hopping, and have now discovered Australia.